Hate Crime Legislation, A Good Thing or Unfairly Applied : Swingers Discussion 72991
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsHate Crime Legislation, A Good Thing or Unfairly Applied
TOPIC: Hate Crime Legislation, A Good Thing or Unfairly Applied
Created by: SensuousAndNasty
Original Starting post for this thread:
This is one of MANY reason and examples I dislike Hate Crime Legislation.

4 Hate-Crime Beating Teens Get Probation Friday, February 2, 2007 9:14 PM EST The Associated Press By NOAKI SCHWARTZ

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Four of nine black teenagers convicted in the racially charged beating of three white women on Halloween were sentenced to probation Friday.

Punishment could have ranged up to confinement in a California Youth Authority lockup until age 25. The teens were ordered to serve 250 hours of community service, 60 days house arrest, and take anger management and racial tolerance programs.

"It was an awful crime. Terrible, emotional and physical injuries," Juvenile Court Judge Gibson Lee said.

Last week, Lee convicted nine teens — eight female and one male — of felony assault, with a hate-crime enhancement against all but one.

Among those sentenced Friday were an 18-year-old youth, his twin sister, their 16-year-old sister — who didn't receive the hate-crime enhancement — and another 16-year-old girl.

The other five defendants face sentencing next week. Names of the defendants were withheld because they are juveniles or were juveniles at the time and were tried as juveniles. (CONTINUED.....)

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Calling folks fascist is as bad a using race metaphor's. And trust me BOY I know what a Fascist is. And the boy is not in a racist tone it goes to your Maturity

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Akron,

I think most of us are more sensitive when we receive criticism from those we respect versus those we do not. I too, would be more thin skinned if my position was being devalued or made fun of by StPete, 2inVT, Perfect, Poly, Debjack, Gary or you (just to name a few). In most other cases, I simply roll my eyes and don't take it personally, as many posters overall positions and beliefs are so contrary to mine it does not provoke any personal hurt feelings or disappointment.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
A black facsist funny how that works out.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
So calling someone a Fascist or fascist wannabe is a Hate crime... Just like calling someone the N word or and other racist metaphor. You see by using such words make you a racist. And when using such words in a derogatory way is hatred for some one political beliefs.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Hate crime legislation is not being used as its intended purpose.It was to insure that people of all races be protected. I will use an example.Confederate flag ,pickup truck and whites in the truck , beating on non white. Does also apply to religion.This is just an example.harsh but a true example. Now it is being used when it is most beneficial to grab newspaper headlines. History has shown any legislation that has been drawn up to force equality whether it be for punishment,ratios has failed .People find loop holes,drag it to a new level for which it was not intended

Sarasota FL
Username hidden
(2069 posts)
Yinyang wrote:

"I have found that this world is not a fair place. SOMETIMES you will catch a bad shake for reasons that you cannot even control. Really, the only time you can complain to that is where there is no REALISTIC way around it, and there is some LEGITIMATE person, place, or process to blame.

Here, I do not offer that. One can avoid being charged with a hate crime, by simply avoiding the "crime" part of their actions. Not that tough to do." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please do not take this wrong, as I am not making fun of you....but, some of the above sounds like "conservative" views.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Thought about that prayer in the GWB Corporate America thread.

Miramar FL
Username hidden
(2075 posts)
Awe hate crimes... DING DING DING Round one...In the case below the law is clear and the youts were found guilty of hate crimes and the statuets are clear. But should they exist is the obvious question here. My view is they should be a special cercumstance to a crime but not the crime, ie. using a gun in the commision of a crime. A conviction for assault first offense is 3 years in prison, But if your motive is hate for a race, sex and or preference, you get 3 years in prison for a total of 6 years. Abuse of power by police 2 years and if special cricumstance 2 years additional will be added. Giving punishment for the crime of hate is too vast by its self.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Basic Law Enforcement - What is the one element of a crime that neither the investigators nor those who prosecute someone for said crime have to prove or even address?

Answer: Motive

Hate Crime scares me because it is thought policing, and we can never know for sure WHAT a persons true motives were. The charges AND punishment should fit the crime, NOT what you think someone thought.

Going back to the article I started this thread with. If the victims would of been gay, black, hispanic etc, and the perpetrators white and male, past sentencing of similar incidents suggest that probation would NOT have taken place. Real jail and/or prison time would of been part of the sentencing.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
(....continued)

All crimes should be taken seriously and be dealt with in the same zealous manner. If my sister is harmed, who is also White, does her attacker deserve less punishment if he is also White? Shouldn’t he receive the same punishment a Black man would get if he attacked her. My sister is a lesbian so as long as he calls her a dyke in the midst of it of all, even if he is a White man, we can get him on a hate crime charge. Actually as long as it is any man, it is a hate crime based on gender. However, if she was attacked by another White woman or woman period, even a lesbian then it is not. I don’t care who harms her, Black or White, male or female, gay or straight, I want them to be punished. Their punishment should be mandated on the crime itself, not on superificial and arbitrary characteristics of the person.

Lastly hate crimes impedes every Americans right to free speech. If someone wants to call me a nigger, I would be none too pleased but it reflects their stupidity more than it reflects on me. Besides since I was taught nigger meant an ignorant person and since the person just proved their ignorance by calling me one then they in fact, are the nigger not me. As much as I hate that vile word, I think it is a waste of money to lock you up simply for calling me one. Now the minute you cross the line and burn a cross on my front yard or physically assault me then the law needs to step in. If I don’t allow the despicable KKK to have their free speech then you can take away mine and you are not taking away mine! Hate crimes makes thinking a crime. It says if you disagree with the government we can lock you up. That is tyranny. That is wrong! Ministers are being locked up simply for preaching the Bible and talking against abortion and homosexuality. Gays and pro-choicers don’t have to like what the preachers say, they don’t get to lock them up for it. Just like we don’t get to lock them up for preaching about killing babies and homosexuality. Everyone is entitled to express their view and shouldn’t be jailed just for having a difference of opinion. People need to be locked up for actions not thoughts. Now if an abusive partner threatens to kill you, they need to be locked up. Not for their thoughts but because they have recently shown themselves to be violent towards you so you have no reason to doubt they will kill you. Even in that case you are basing it on their actions, not merely their words. When we start locking people up for their beliefs and what they think instead of their actions then all our freedom is in jeopardy. Democracy is not perfect but it can not exist under the Thought Police either. This is America not 1984. (The book by George Orwell which is about a totalitarian society.) You don’t combat hate by making it a “crime.” You combat it with knowledge, God and most of all, love. Hate crime legislation doesn’t help its so called victims, it just keeps them mired in that victim mentality. As a Black woman, I am a hate crime waiting to happen, because statistically my skin and my “gender” make me prime targets for hate crimes. However, I don’t choose to see my life that way. I choose to see it as an opportunity to continue to grow and progress. I choose to see everyone, especially those who love God and choose to follow him as my brothers and sisters, plain and simple. I don’t see your color, I don’t see your sex, I see us as one family. God’s family and I will always stand in defense of God’s family, of my spiritual brothers and sisters. I won’t let them be silenced because others wish not to hear their voices.

In the end, all hate crime legislation has given us is fear. Fear to make our voices heard. Fear to be politically incorrect. Fear that all our thoughts are wrong. America is turning into one big cornfield, because we were all sent there by one mean little boy who didn’t like our thoughts. Is that what America is about?

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
TOPIC: Hate Crime Legislation, A Good Thing or Unfairly Applied