Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Guns Guns and More Guns
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns
GoTo Page: Less ... 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 ... More 
Start   5191 to 5200 of 5954   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Besides just because your friend owns guns it does not mean he is not a responsible owner. He may keep his guns in a safe where he is the only one with access. We don't know. You have not said. Then again he could keep a Glock on the coffee table or an AK-47 hanging over the fireplace. When expressing your fears please give us something to support your worries.

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Fact: Children are 12 times more likely to die in an automobile accident than from gun-related homicides or legal interventions (being shot by a cop, for example) if they are age 0-14. For the group 0-24 years old (which bends the definition of “child” quite a bit), the rate is still 8.6 times higher for cars.143 Fact: In 2001, there were only 72 accidental firearm deaths for children under age 15, compared with over 2,100 children that drowned (29 times as many drowning deaths as firearm deaths).144 Fact: Accidental firearm injuries for children and adolescents dropped 37% from 1993 to 1997, with the fastest drop – a 64% reduction – being for children.145 Fact: Boys who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even less delinquent than non-owners of guns.146 141 National Safety Council, “Injury Facts”, 1999 – figures rounded for ease of display 142 Center for Disease Control, “Deaths: Final for 1998”, vol. 48 no. 11., July 24, 2000 143 1997 National Center for Health Statistics National Vital Statistics Report 144 Center for Disease Control, 20 Leading Causes of Unintentional Injury Deaths, United States, 2001, All Races, Both Sexes, Ages: 1-14 145 “Firearms Injury Surveillance Study”, Centers for zDisease Control and Prevention, December 2001 146 U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, NCJ-143454, "Urban Delinquency and Substance Abuse," August 1995 Cause of injury % of children All Automobile 51% Drowning 17% Pedestrian 11% Fires, burns 11% All other causes 10% Suffocation by ingested object 4% Falls 3% Firearms 2% Poisoning by solids, liquids 1% National Center for Health Statistics, 1995 Cause of death Count % of children Motor vehicle 4,550 46.2% -Drowning 2,102 17.4% -Fire/burn 482 10.6% -Suffocation 250 5.5% -Pedestrian, -Other 145 3.2% -Other Land Transport 144 3.2% -Fall 98 2.2% -Poisoning 81 1.8% -Natural/ Environment 73 1.6% -Other Transport 68 1.5% -Struck by or Against 67 1.5% Other Spec., classifiable 62 1.1% Center for Disease Control, 20 Leading Causes of Unintentional Injury Deaths, United States, 2001, All Races, Both Sexes, Ages: 1-14 Fact: The non-gun homicide rate of children in the U.S. is more than twice as high as in other western countries. And eight times as many children die from non-gun violent acts than from gun crimes.147 This indicates that the problem is violence, not guns. Fact: Fatal gun accidents for children ages 0-14 declined by almost 83% from 1981 to 2002 148 – all while the number of handguns per capita increased over41%149. Fact: 82% of homicides to children age 13 and under were committed without a gun.150

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Fact: Children as young as seven (7) years old have demonstrated that they can pick or break trigger locks, or operate a gun with a trigger lock in place.131 Over half of non-criminal firearm deaths for children over age seven are suicides, so trigger locks are unlikely to reduce these deaths. Fact: If criminals are deterred from attacking victims because of the fear that people might be able to defend themselves, gunlocks may in turn reduce the danger to criminals committing crime, and thus increase crime. This problem is exacerbated because many mechanical locks (such as barrel or trigger locks) also require that the gun be stored unloaded.

Myth: Children should be kept away from guns for their own safety Fact: 0% of children that get guns from their parents commit gun-related crimes while 21% of those that get them illegally do.138 Fact: Children that acquire guns illegally are twice as likely to commit street crimes (24%) than are those given guns by their parents (14%).139 Fact: Almost three times as many children (41%) take drugs if they also obtain guns illegally, as compared to children given guns by their parents (13%). Fact: In the 1950’s, children routinely played cops and robbers, had toy guns, were given BB rifles and small caliber hunting rifles before puberty. Yet the homicide rate in the 1950’s was almost half of that in the 1980’s.140 136 "Kids and Guns" bulletin, from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics, 2000. Covers years 1990-1995 137 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1997 138 U.S. Justice Department, “Urban Delinquency and Substance Abuse”, 2000 139 Ibid 140 National Center for Health Statistics, Vital Statistics, Revised July, 1999 Homicide Weapons (victims under 13) Firearms 19.8% Feet, Fists, Hands 39.7% Other 40.5%

Myth: More children are hurt with guns than by any other means Fact: Fewer than 2% of all unintentional injury deaths for children in the U.S. between ages 0-14 are from firearms.141 Fact: The Center for Disease Control, a federal agency, agrees. According to them, in 1998, children 0-14 years died from the following causes in the U.S. 142

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Myth: Trigger locks will keep children from accidentally shooting themselves Fact: 31 of 32 models of gun locks tested by the government’s Consumer Product Safety Commission could be opened without the key. According to their spokesperson, "We found you could open locks with paper clips, a pair of scissors or tweezers, or you could whack them on the table and they would open.”127 Fact: 85% of all the communities in America recorded no juvenile homicides in 1995, and 93.4% of communities recorded one or no juvenile arrests for murder.128 Fact: In 1996, even though there were around 80 million people owning guns, there were only 44 accidental gun deaths for children under age 10, or about 0.0001%.129 Fact: California has a trigger lock law and saw a 12% increase in fatal firearm accidents in 1994. Texas doesn't have one and experienced a 28% decrease in the same year.130 However, triggerlocks do render guns inaccessible for self-defense. 123 Lott J, Landes W; "Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement"; University of Chicago – covers years 1977 to 1995 124 Ibid 125 National Center for Education Statistics' Violence and Discipline Problems in U.S. Public Schools, 1996-97 126 Department of Education "Principal/School Disciplinarian Survey on School Violence", March, 2000 127 Washington Post, Feb 7, 2001, Page A01 128 Federal Bureau of Investigation “Crime in the United States: Uniform Crime Reports”, 1996 129 Prof. John Lott, CBS News web site, March 20, 2000

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Question:" My next-door neighbors have several guns in their home. A few weeks ago, I told them I didn't want my 14-year-old son sleeping over there anymore. The father said his two teenage boys know all about gun safety, but I still said ''No.'' Later, he offered to put locks on his guns when my son sleeps over, but that doesn't feel good enough to me. Am I wrong? " As a parent you decide where your child goes. No matter what the scenerio is. That is not only your choice but your right as a parent but here is some info for you:

CHILDREN AND GUNS Myth: 13 children are killed each day by guns Fact: Adults included – This “statistic” includes “children” up to age 19 or 24, depending on the source. Since most violent crime is committed by males ages 16-24, these numbers include adult gang members dying during criminal activity115 (incidentally, ‘child’ is defined as a person between birth and puberty, typically 13-14 years). Fact: Criminals are included - 70% of these deaths are adults, age 17-20, involved in gang warfare. Half of the juveniles killed are involved in gang activity at the time of their deaths, often involved in drug related firefights. Fact: Suicides and criminals included - These numbers include criminal activities and suicides.116 As suicides make up more than ½ of all gun deaths, the number drops even further, to about 1.3 children a day. 117 Fact: The federal government lists the total firearm related deaths for children were 612, or 1.7 per day, in 1998. 154 were suicides118 Fact: Over 13 teenagers die every day in automobiles, seven behind the wheel.119 Fact: Four children die each day in the U.S. from parental neglect and abuse.120 Fact: For contrast: 1,917 children die each day from malaria121 around the world and 15 men, women, and children per day are murdered by a convicted felon in government supervised parole/probation programs in the U.S.122 115 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1997 116 National Center for Health Statistics, “Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children - - 26 Industrialized Countries”, 1997 117 Center for Disease Control, National Vital Statistics Report - Deaths: Final Data for 1998, July 24, 2000 118 CDC WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1981-1998 119 U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System, 2001 120 National Center on Child Abuse Prevention, 1998 Annual Survey 121 Fact Sheet No 178, U.N. World Health Organization, 1998 122 1998 US Bureau of Justice Statistics

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
mmmmmmmmm anything I want perfect? can I come play with your ummmm gun? ;)

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(19428 posts)
but mr perfect you never did answer my question from yesterday...........

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(19428 posts)
"Aaaahhhh, I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like victory"

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
Dar

Ya know I always thought balistol smelled like carb cleaner

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
Dancing I really enjoy it. The smoke the smell, the romance. I used to shoot SASS, but haven't for a while. I was one of the few shooting cap and ball. Cleaning isn't that bad. I just use to use hot soapy water. Part of the fun sitting around a kettle of hot water after a shoot scrubbing the guns. You can clean them with balistol if you don't want to mess with the hot water. I have known some shooters to use windex to do a temp clean until they got home. The smoke never seemed to obscure the target, unless there was no wind. I have never shot one indoors though. I used to open carry one of my 5 inch navys. Should see the look I get in walmart with the western holster. Besides I kinda git a kick outa when kids would come up and ask if i was a cowboy......LOL

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 ... More 
Start   5191 to 5200 of 5954   End
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns