Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Guns Guns and More Guns
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns
GoTo Page: Less ... 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... More 
Start   4941 to 4950 of 5943   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I never said there was not a right and a wrong. What I said is that they are social constructs that change over time.

Now a question for you:

Is swinging right or wrong?

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
How many words do I get to answer? ;-)

In a word, No.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
No.

What I am saying is that your or my perception of a thing is an imperfect view of the thing itself.

You can never discount perception. In Plessy and Brown, the Constitution did not change. The law was the same. The perception of what the law meant did. The people who decided the law did. But the law was the same.

I believe segregation is wrong because I live in 2008 in the United States. If I lived in Alabama in 1905, I would not think it is wrong.

"Right" and "Wrong" are social constructs (you will have a lot of fun with that statement).

I don't expect you to agree, because this really gets down to the fundamental way each of us look at the world. Perception again...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
"The 'conventional wisdom' on Sept. 12th could have been to lock up all muslims. "

As a matter of fact, it was on December 8th, 1941. Or maybe you haven't heard of Manzanar.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
So for tens of thousands of years, these three specific policies were accepted as "right" by every major civilization. In fact, child labor and segregation are the norm in the world now. Not sure about women's suffrage, but that might be true, as well.

Now you come along, all big and bad, with your 100 years of history, and decide your opinion is the right one.

Egotistical much?

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
Dan-

You have the attitude that what is "right" is unchanging over time. History just does not support that opinion.

Slavery was generally accepted for thousands of years. Only about 200 years ago did things change.

The Founding Fathers were foursquare against a standing military. Circumstances changed. Now we spend more on our standing military than all other countries combined.

Segregation, woman's suffrage, child labor, and hundreds of other policies were "right" in their time.

Who knows what the "conventional wisdom" will be in another hundred years.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
"What types of restrictions or laws would you be proposing?"

I am certainly not smart enough to figure that one out. I would leave that to the people. Local jurisdictions should decide what is proper.

That is the best that I can come up with. Imperfect, but it has worked for lots of other things.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
"The fact is, the American non-gun public is going to believe whatever hand picked stats are put in front of them,"

The majority of Americans are non-gun owning. That is what you are fighting. The perceived intransigence of the NRA, IMHO, is hurting your cause. I don't have the answer for you. Much smarter people than me are working on it.

Look, generally we are on the same side. It is my opinion that the anti-gun side is winning the PR battle. Something needs to be done to protect those rights you have, otherwise the anti-gunners will be like a glacier, grinding away until there is nothing left.

The current NRA strategy is not working if all the polls (check polling report*com) show the majority in favor of more restriction.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17927 posts)
TBR, I'm a reasonable man, as I believe you are as well. So that I may better see where you're coming from, What types of restrictions or laws would you be proposing?

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
sigh are you boys fighting this late at night?

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(18952 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... More 
Start   4941 to 4950 of 5943   End
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns