Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › Guns Guns and More Guns
TOPIC: Guns_Guns_and_More_Guns
« Prev  1 ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ... 747  Next »
151 to 160 of 7470
User Details are only visible to members.
"What would be wrong with heavily taxing ammo? It wouldn't have much effect on a homeowner who just wanted to keep a loaded gun for defense against a home invader, but it would deter some nuts from accumulating hundreds or thousands of rounds. "

It discriminates against low income people. In the late 60's and early 70's there was legislation to ban the 'Saturday night special'.

Maybe we could give out 'bullet stamps' lol.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(19575 posts)
"Some laws to reduce straw-man purchases of guns would help, but the paranoid nuts are terrified of that"

Such as??? Strawman purchases are already illegal.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(19575 posts)
"But the gun lobby has cowed lawmakers into making it harder for law enforcement to do just that. Many of my suggestions are geared toward better enforcement of existing laws. "

Really? Examples??

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(19575 posts)
Somebody who thinks the 2A is about preventing tyranny wonders why we need 30 rd magazines. lol

Driving is not a Constitutional right. Can we have voter knowledge tests? Let

That's some funny shit.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(19575 posts)
When are we gonna outlaw ink pens? They are used to fill out prescriptions for opioids that killed around 60,000 people last year.

Reston VA
Username hidden
(2671 posts)
I have always been an advocate of training and safe use of firearms for anyone owning them. The license idea? Maybe so....... that gets back to the post ncal made about peoples trust of the government. Until the peoples trust in government can be turned around, I don't see that ever getting much traction. Insurance.... I personally don't think that is a wise road to go down. The issue of government mandated buying of anything is just a mess. We all see what the mandated health insurance stuff caused. Just a big "hornets nest".

You would think people would not have to be told to report lost or stole guns. I suspect the failure to report such things happens extremely rarely. But... I'm sure it may happen from time to time.

Christoval TX
Username hidden
(1614 posts)
Finally, a legitimate response to the gun law issue. I certainly understand your views on several of your ideas. I even agree with several of them. The 30 round magazine restriction would certainly have merit, unless, you are one of those many people out here that believe individual citizens are what stands against a government becoming tyrannical and thus should be able to arm themselves as such.

A point of correction.... semi-auto weapons are not easily converted to auto. Now... the bump stock issue..... I personally have no problem getting rid of them. However, many other people have legitimate concerns of that as well.

We already have very specific laws against "straw sale". They need to be enforced. As you stated, many laws are out there that need to be enforced.

May I ask what back ground check loop holes are you referring to?

Christoval TX
Username hidden
(1614 posts)
Fun while most everyone including those that are members of the NRA agree that there is no need for a 30 round clip, the real issue is once the law is on the books to limit the size of a clip the Democrats will keep adding to that law until only single shots are allowed. The history of the Democrats and lack of truthfulness is as long as the Democratic Party existed. Simply once that door is opened everyone who owns a gun is going to get screwed.

Semi auto are absolutely the best gun for hunting, specially for those of us who are left handed. And for woman because the gas operated semi auto has much less of a recoil when shot. If you miss with a bolt action rifle that's it, or if you wound a animal that it, one shot before that animal is gone. With a semi auto you have five shots in a rifle or 3 shots in a shotgun. Makes for a huge difference out in the field.

The biggest problem with common sense gun control is that no one trust the Democrats to keep their word and everyone is terrified of what the Democrats will do once any legal door is open even a crack.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(7581 posts)
Oh, and allow me to preempt the knee jerk responses that gun nuts typically make:

1. "It's my constitutional right ....."

--No. Nowhere does the Constitution guarantee you unfettered rights to have any gun you desire, with no restriction on its purchase, possession, or use. Exactly zero of my suggestions run afoul of Heller v. D.C. So save it.

2. "That law wouldn't have prevented [insert example of some mass shooting event]."

--Just because a reform wouldn't prevent every single tragedy is no reason to reject a reform that would prevent or lessen the severity of others.

3. "We need to just enforce the laws already on the books."

--Duh. But the gun lobby has cowed lawmakers into making it harder for law enforcement to do just that. Many of my suggestions are geared toward better enforcement of existing laws.

4. "This is the first step on the slippery slope of grabbing my guns."

--This is the same paranoia that drove the nuts to make dire warnings that if Obama were elected he would confiscate every gun in America. He didn't even whisper such a thing, much less try to do anything like it. It would take a sea-change of constitutional amendment, public opinion, and political will to ever even start with some nonsense about banning all guns and confiscating them. I, for one, wouldn't support such.

5. "Bad guys would find a way around that law."

--Of course a determined person can evade any law, but that's no reason not to have the law in the first place. That's like saying we shouldn't have laws against bank robbery or tax evasion because people will always find a way to break those laws. Stupid.

If anyone has any objections to the ideas I suggested, which don't fall into one of those five categories of stupid, I'd be glad to hear them.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(14129 posts)
Continued:

What would be so terrible about making gun ownership subject to the same sort of responsibility laws we have for operating a motor vehicle? Basic proficiency testing, licensing, and perhaps even insurance requirements. Maybe make it a requirement to promptly report any lost or stolen firearm, so that any crime committed with a stolen gun is more easily traceable.

Some laws to reduce straw-man purchases of guns would help, but the paranoid nuts are terrified of that. So, we coddle their paranoia with a system that makes it easy for a straw man to buy numerous guns on a daily basis, sell them privately to bad guys, and go back to do it again tomorrow.

Why not have some simple reporting requirement for the private sale of a gun, that could be checked against a national database of convicted felons who are legally prohibited from having guns? It would take about 60 seconds for a law-biding seller to copy basic info from a law-abiding purchaser's ID onto a form and send it in, either on paper or online.

I have mixed feelings about using taxation to discourage harmful behaviors, but we have a history of doing so in other areas (e.g., cigarette taxes). What would be wrong with heavily taxing ammo? It wouldn't have much effect on a homeowner who just wanted to keep a loaded gun for defense against a home invader, but it would deter some nuts from accumulating hundreds or thousands of rounds.

Better information always makes better policy possible. The gun lobby has successfully discouraged statistical and analytical studies of gun violence at the national level. We should reverse that and fund research into the causes and incidence of gun violence just like we do for other public health concerns.

We have a hodgepodge of laws against certain convicted felons possessing guns. We need a better, clearer, more consistent approach to keeping guns out of the hands of people who have committed felonies that correlate with gun violence. I would make restoration of gun rights conditioned on completion of sentence and probation, and some period of time staying out of trouble after sentence completion.

And, of course, the bugaboo: mental health. This is where better studies would really help. Intuition and common sense tell me that some behaviors short of committing a felony don't bode well for those people having unfettered access to guns: diagnosed schizophrenia, sociopathic disorders, anger-management problems like road rage and domestic violence, etc. We should develop an evidence-based list of things that should at least trigger more scrutiny before some people pass background checks for buying a gun.

I don't have any expertise in this and am just spit balling. But it doesn't take an expert to know that we have far more gun deaths in this country than any peer country, by far. Shouldn't we be trying to do whatever we can to change that?

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(14129 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ... 747  Next »
151 to 160 of 7470
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.