Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Guns Guns and More Guns
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns
GoTo Page: Less ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 ... More 
Start   4851 to 4860 of 6134   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Dancing I have to agree with you. I would never suggest anyone learn a firearm from a video. Strictly hands on from an appropriate instructor. My initial post was not in reference to firearms as it was to give someone reference to some insight on self defense tactics that are used. There are usually some sort of self defense classes available for a reasonable cost from sources as colleges and martial arts instructors. These classes are more slated to the female to have some self of being able to defend herself. As much as I love Miss, and respect her, someone who tries to stop a assailant with a firearm, has very little chance with a knife, even if she were to get lucky a assailant can still function long enough to discharge the weapon. The videos that are there just show that a armed assailant can be disarmed. I think most of them advise against fighting a assailant with a gun unless their life is at risk. Give them the money the cell phone the watch, they are not worth you life. But there are no guarantees. Let me repeat I received my training from a government agencies, this is not available to the common citizen. Firearms training should come from approved range officials. I was nowhere talking about firearms training. Actually I was not suggesting that they use videos for self defense training. But the videos does show what a trained person can do with practice. The better suggestion would to carry pepper spray if a person is not willing to train. But police officers are even trained on the proper use of pepper spray or other irritants.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
FJ, I did get to thinking a bit further on the subject of you tube and firearms and would add a footnote to my previous posts. I personally would never advocate safe firearm handling being learned through that venue. In as much as there are beneficial videos regarding stance postures, weapon takedown and cleaning, etc., I think gun safety is only learned not only through "textbook" type instruction, but "hands on" instruction as well. I have mixed feelings about any firearm videos I see on you tube, as so many of them are only for "shock and awe" value. "I have a huge gun,come watch me use it". Saw one recently of a pretty young girl, that probably weighed 90 pounds soaking wet,with a pocket full of rocks, firing a 500 S&W revolver, that nearly gave herself a concussion when the recoil brought the barrel back and cracked her square on top of the head.

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
Thanks Poly! Those videos were fabulous! With the nipple song, I probably would have gotten a hardon if I could have stopped laughing,lol. A couple of favorites that I remember were "shoes" and "boner boy".

FJ, I agree, not all of youtube or the Internet are completely ridiculous. I've seen some decent info on youtube, even some great firearm videos. My mindset though, is that when I do get referred to that site, it's usually to locate something amusing. While more often than not, I do use the net for more serious pursuits, often I just want some of that "in your face" funny crap, that I just don't have to think about. Agree also that your typical firearm courses don't address firearm retention much, if at all. I think defensive specialized courses such as Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute, address the practicalities of specialized situations much more in-depth, but might be a bit more than what the "average" person who carries a handgun as protection wants, or even needs.

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
Dancing, as far as you tube your right on the some or most things are stupid. But not all of it is. Police, sheriffs, fire depts, hospitals, even our own federal gov. are making use of this new medium for PSA. They are produced by professionals, directed by professionals, and would not be fair to label them as stupid. I know that wasn't your intention. Some dedicated professionals take their time to produce some information to be taken for what it is worth. That would be saying the same as saying the internet is stupid, yet a lot of us bank, shop, pay and file taxes by the internet. I haven't checked but would bet the IRS probably has some PSAs on you tube. It all boils down to common sense.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
Dancing exactly, everybody should be aware of there surroundings whether armed or not. Your personal safety is your responsibility. Handgun retention is not part of the CCW classes, but it should be. There are several avenues available for the training, some of the community colleges give classes. And defiantly a civilian could check with a martial arts instructor for training in this specific area. Almost all law enforcement require this training for their officers, but it is not open to civilians. A few departments do have some community training on self defense, but that is usually not the norm, they don't want the liability if a civilian gets hurt. NRA classes are always the best for newbies on gun handling safety, but this mostly gun handling safety procedures.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
LOL, naaa, When I watch you tube, it's usually to see people doing something stupid. Come to think of it, that's part of the same draw that keeps me coming back to these forums,lol

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
FJ, I agree with you entirely. There is no substitute for both hands on training and practice. What I actually mean, is that in a life and death instance, someone who practices often, but doesn't have the psycological mindset, can leave themselves open to dire consequences. With an assailant at the 21' distance, or less, all it takes is a moment of indecision while the good guy/girl hesitates,while they contemplate the legal/moral ramifications behind pulling the trigger, for the bad guy to triumph. I believe that more often than not, the act of pulling a gun in self-defense against a man with a knife, is a deterrent that results in 9 out of 10 giving up and running off, however I certainly wouldn't bet which 1 out of 10 I was facing.

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
Absolutely Poly, and I can assure you that were a bunch of us walking down the street enjoying the sights, and were accosted my a man with a sharp knife, you won't lose your money betting on me,lol ;o)

Unless of course we were headed into a swing club, where there's only one weapon that I carry. While it certainly may be impressive, I'd never consider it "lethal", lol

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
Dancing, I agree on the mindset, but training is very important. It builds confidence, and ability. Believe it or not some criminals can sense a non-victim, and leave them alone for a better target. Any body that carries should acquaint them selfs with some training on retention. And it never hurts for anybody to have some self defense training even if they are a liberal.

At the very least every woman should invest in a canister of pepper spray. Where legal of course. It has been proven that once blinded even if the assailant fires, he can't hit anything because he can't see. We used to carry a impulse light on duty, to blind a suspect to take them down without lethal force. And yes one subject did try to file a suit claiming retina damage, LOL, the things attorneys will come up with.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
I think Poly would be making the safe bet. The problem someone carrying a knife into a firearm battle, is that most people who have received any formal training in the use of lethal force, realizes a 21' rule. Inside of 7 steps, a quick assailant has the opportunity to physically engage you, and "potentially" disarm or at least tie you up. The simple solution is, that the man with gun,does not allow the man with knife to breach that distance. If it were me under attack, in the act of protecting my mrs or friends I was accompanying, certainly not as the aggressor, the result would be that man with knife dies 7 steps away from me, with two holes in his chest and one in his forehead. It's not only a matter of actual training and practice, that's only physical preparation, it's psycological preparation and mindset, that prevents an assailant from disarming you and using your own weapon against you, in a face to face altercation. In a real life "shit hits the fan" scenario, you'd best have already made the decision that you may very well be a nano-second away from ending someone's existence before your hand ever lands on your gun's grip.

Reno NV
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 ... More 
Start   4851 to 4860 of 6134   End
TOPIC: Guns Guns and More Guns