Gun nuts geaux wild down in the bayou : Swingers Discussion 2209971041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsGun nuts geaux wild down in the bayou
TOPIC: Gun nuts geaux wild down in the bayou
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   41 to 50 of 108   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I'm basically an Original Intent kind of Guy. There is no argument based on the history of voting rights in the early years of our country.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
Equal protection? I think better arguments are elsewhere, but if you think that's the best argument for a constitutional right to vote, let's hear it.

Since a true constitutional whiz can make the best case for the other side before tearing it down, I'm looking forward to seeing how well you can do it. We're expecting great things from you Perf; don't let us down.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Voting Timeline 1776-2000

1776 - White men with property can vote. Free black men can vote in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. (The Progress Report adds -- in Maryland between 1776-1783 free black men could vote, but between 1783-1810 only those who were freed prior to 1783 were permitted to vote, and after 1810 no black men at all were allowed to vote.)

1789 - Establishment of US democracy. White men with property can vote. Poor people, Women, Native Americans, and enslaved African- Americans cannot vote.

1790 - From 1770 to 1790 each state has individual naturalization laws. In 1790 the US passes its first naturalization law to grant citizenship to white men and some women. The right to vote is tied directly to citizenship status; it is only for whites who have lived in the country for 2 years. In 1798 the law is changed so immigrant whites have to live in the US for 14 years before they can become citizens. This changed to 5 years after 1902.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
"Can you do it? I don't think so. "

You and your Equal Protection. It might be worth an argument if you weren't so hypocritical in your application of it.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
" I am just reading along. "

That's cool. It just seemed out of character to me.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
I assumed we were talking about voting age citizens, so with that understanding I'll repeat the challenge. Are you unable to construct ANY argument for a right to vote, even if you ultimately don't accept the conclusion?

I'll even go ahead and tip you off: the main cases you would need are Baker v Carr and Bush v Gore.

Can you do it? I don't think so.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Jesus, do I need to be involved in everything?

I made a point of not joining this discussion because I haven't fully read and digested the opening posts. I find this topic interesting and I admit I don't know so much about it. So at this point, I am just reading along.

"VA is a smart enough guy to figure out...."

Some might dispute that.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18831 posts)
lmao!

Could 17 year olds be permitted to vote?

There is no argument to make on the WRONG side.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
VA is a smart enough guy to figure out where my point comes from and he is welcome to weigh in any time. But that would spoil the fun of watching you grasp at figuring it out on your own. I'll bet dollars to donuts you can't.

C'mon Perf. Show us that brilliance. I know you won't agree with me on the conclusion, but smart people ought to be able to construct an argument on either side. Can you do it? Would you like a hint on the two SCOTUS cases you'd need to read first?

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Jeez, wondering where VAB is. He's pointed out that voting isn't a right several times before.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16727 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   41 to 50 of 108   End
TOPIC: Gun nuts geaux wild down in the bayou