Greenspan criticizes Bush and GOP : Swingers Discussion 87342
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsGreenspan criticizes Bush and GOP
TOPIC: Greenspan criticizes Bush and GOP
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
Alan Greenspan, who was chairman of the Federal Reserve for nearly two decades, in a long-awaited memoir, is harshly critical of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and the Republican-controlled Congress, as abandoning their party’s principles on spending and deficits.

Mr. Greenspan writes in his memoir that President Bush was blinded by politics. In the 500-page book, “The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World,” Mr. Greenspan describes the Bush administration as so captive to its own political operation that it paid little attention to fiscal discipline, and he described Mr. Bush’s first two Treasury secretaries, Paul H. O’Neill and John W. Snow, as essentially powerless.

Mr. Bush, he writes, was never willing to contain spending or veto bills that drove the country into deeper and deeper deficits, as Congress abandoned rules that required that the cost of tax cuts be offset by savings elsewhere. “The Republicans in Congress lost their way,” writes Mr. Greenspan, a self-described “libertarian Republican.”

“They swapped principle for power. They ended up with neither. They deserved to lose” in the 2006 election, when they lost control of the House and Senate

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
User Details are only visible to members.
i don't disagree with ur point lucky although maybe it would be innapropriate for a sitting fed chief to criticize the president and republican policies.

BS that was and is the job of an adviser to the president, Greenspan planned the economy and the tax cut and the interest cuts that made it irresistable for the masses. in my view IF this fails I hold him just as responsible as the president.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
i don't disagree with ur point lucky although maybe it would be innapropriate for a sitting fed chief to criticize the president and republican policies. i do find it interesting that most of the conserv minded forum posters did not comment in this thread...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Funny he didnt have the balls to say it when he worked for him...LOL If he had then you could this called this advise.

Greenspan and others had an opertunity to do it right. If this economy fails he was on the team as well correct? Lets give credit where it is due shall we. Was his advice ignored? I doubt that in fact he was the architect was he not? I mean really, no warnings for the president after all he was the boss of bosses sharing responsibility is what he should have done.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
wow not much commentary in this thread!

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Funny he didnt have the balls to say it when he worked for him...LOL If he had then you could called this advise.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
See, now this is what I don't like about politicians of any stripe. They get the money and the power and make all kinds of pronouncements.

Then they leave the position or office, then all of a sudden their statements become diametrically opposed.

So, is he lying now or was he lying then? If he felt that way all along, he should have either changed policy to fit what he believed or resigned.

"i was against all my policies before I was for them."

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
Alan Greenspan, who was chairman of the Federal Reserve for nearly two decades, in a long-awaited memoir, is harshly critical of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and the Republican-controlled Congress, as abandoning their party’s principles on spending and deficits.

Mr. Greenspan writes in his memoir that President Bush was blinded by politics. In the 500-page book, “The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World,” Mr. Greenspan describes the Bush administration as so captive to its own political operation that it paid little attention to fiscal discipline, and he described Mr. Bush’s first two Treasury secretaries, Paul H. O’Neill and John W. Snow, as essentially powerless.

Mr. Bush, he writes, was never willing to contain spending or veto bills that drove the country into deeper and deeper deficits, as Congress abandoned rules that required that the cost of tax cuts be offset by savings elsewhere. “The Republicans in Congress lost their way,” writes Mr. Greenspan, a self-described “libertarian Republican.”

“They swapped principle for power. They ended up with neither. They deserved to lose” in the 2006 election, when they lost control of the House and Senate

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
TOPIC: Greenspan criticizes Bush and GOP