Get the Lead out : Swingers Discussion 87474
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsGet the Lead out
TOPIC: Get the Lead out
Created by: elc
Original Starting post for this thread:
For the last three years the price of lead in my industry has been climbing (30% alone in the last year). During this time Wall St. has been telling us that the reasons for the price increase on lead, copper, brass, and other commodities was due to demand from China and India.

So for the last couple of years I've been sitting back waiting for the crap to hit the fan, and splatt!!! huge recalls on children's toys, jewelry, etc. For many of us over 40, we saw the phase out of lead used in many manufacturing processes here in the U.S. years ago.

Where the hell did Wall St. think the lead was going?

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
Peter Montague, Ph.D conducted a study in Pediatrics and published his findings in the Journal of the American Medical Association and The National Research Council which reflects modern humans are estimated to have total body burdens of lead approximately 300-500 times those of our prehistoric ancestors. In places such as the United States and Canada the amount of lead in current humans was well below the approximate levels previously stated.

The study was conducted using random samples of adults and children across different continents, environments, and economics throughout the world. According to careful measurements of human bones, pre-Columbian inhabitants of North America had average blood lead levels of 0.016 mcg/dL --some 625 times lower than the 10 mcg/dL now established as "safe" for our children.

That statement does not reflect that we (adults or children) have 625 times the amount of lead in our system then our ancient ancestors. What it does reflect is that the "safe" standard is 625 times higher then what man once averaged as the amount of lead in their bodies. The report reflected that although we do have more lead in our systems, here in North America, we average under 300 times more then our ancestor and are well below the "safe" standard set by the scientific community.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
I would suspect that one of the only other times in history people unknowingly consumed lead was when pewter was in common use.

Currently I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop. I'd be very careful of any dishware or coffee mugs I bought made in china. Lead has traditionally been used in glazing compounds, and not all coffee mugs are microwave safe. I know I've melted one or two.

Grantham NH
Username hidden
(1470 posts)
It's true! I just pointed out a fact.

Coral Springs FL
Username hidden
(194 posts)
oh god lord wayne get a grip on reality.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
Did you know that people living today have about 625 times more lead in their blood than they did a century ago. This is from all the years of lead being in gasoline, plus other industrial uses and that lead in the atmosphere isn't going to go away any time soon.

Coral Springs FL
Username hidden
(194 posts)
For the last three years the price of lead in my industry has been climbing (30% alone in the last year). During this time Wall St. has been telling us that the reasons for the price increase on lead, copper, brass, and other commodities was due to demand from China and India.

So for the last couple of years I've been sitting back waiting for the crap to hit the fan, and splatt!!! huge recalls on children's toys, jewelry, etc. For many of us over 40, we saw the phase out of lead used in many manufacturing processes here in the U.S. years ago.

Where the hell did Wall St. think the lead was going?

Grantham NH
Username hidden
(1470 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: Get the Lead out