GOP needs to get with the times (pt 2) : Swingers Discussion 212030101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsGOP needs to get with the times (pt 2)
TOPIC: GOP needs to get with the times (pt 2)
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
How to move forward dominated the discussions at last week's Republican Governors Association meeting in Las Vegas, where some of the party's leading voices castigated Romney's assessment — made in what was supposed to be a private telephone call to donors — that Obama won re-election because of the "gifts" the president had provided to blacks, Hispanics and young voters. These governors faulted Romney.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal attributed Romney's loss to a lack of "a specific vision that connected with the American people."

Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown, who describes himself as a "pro-choice moderate Republican," echoed Republicans across the spectrum when he said last week, "We need to be a larger-tent party." Brown lost his seat to Democrat Elizabeth Warren.

Across the board, Republicans say that arguably the most urgent task facing the party is changing its attitude about immigration as it looks to woo Hispanics. This rapidly growing group voted overwhelmingly for Obama, by margins of 7-to-1 over Romney, who had shifted to the right on the issue during the GOP primary.

It didn't take long after the election for even staunch conservatives to start changing their tune on immigration. Days after the election, even conservative TV host Sean Hannity said he would support an immigration bill.

Said Barbour, "If we would be for good economic policy in terms of immigration, that would go a long way toward solving the political problem."

It's not just Hispanics.

Republicans said they also have work to do with single women and younger voters, many of whom tend to be more liberal on social issues than the current Republican Party. These Republicans said a change in tone is needed, though not a change in principles such as opposition to abortion.

"We need to make sure that we're not perceived as intolerant," said Ron Kaufman, a veteran Republican strategist who advised Romney's campaign. "The bottom line is we were perceived to be intolerant on some issues. And tone-deaf on others."

Republicans also said the party has to work on its relationship with working-class voters.

"Republicans have to start understanding that small business and entrepreneurs are important, but the people who work for them are also important," said Rep. Charles Bass, R-N.H., who lost his seat to Democrat Ann Kuster. "We've got to be compassionate conservatives."

Party leaders also said the GOP needs to change how it communicates its message. Obama's campaign, they said, was particularly effective at talking directly to voters, and building relationships over long periods of time, whereas the GOP was more focused on top-down communication such as TV ads and direct mail.

"There are whole sections of the American public that we didn't even engage with," Gingrich said.

Others pointed to the pressing need to recruit candidates who know how to stick to a carefully honed message, especially in a Twitter-driven era. Among their case studies: Senate candidates Richard Mourdock in Indiana and Todd Akin in Missouri, who both discussed rape and pregnancy during the campaign, to the chagrin of party leaders looking to narrow the Democrats' advantage among women.

"We need candidates who are capable of articulating their policy positions without alienating massive voting blocs," said Kevin McLaughlin, a Republican operative who worked on several Senate races for the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Many Republicans say the party doesn't have a choice but to change — and quickly.

Said Kaufmann: "In this business, either you learn and grow or you die."

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 70   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Now that Grover Norquist has become a media play toy for Warren Buffett, and the founder of the Tea Party has had an arrest for carrying firearms in an airport, the GOPoop TP movement has a public relations disorder.

Treasure Is FL
Username hidden
(6992 posts)
Now that the election is over this is Monday quarterbacking but I agree with the speech: ww w. youtube.co m/watch?v=Wgxlp2UJI5I&feature=plcp

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
LOL @ Ghost

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Another view. Once American voters comprehended the purpose of the Tea Party and its political agenda, voters realized they should return to voting in their own best interests, and not those of multi-millionaire and billionaire expatriates who provide just enough pizza crust leftovers under the bus for scavenging raccoons who promote their anti-american cause.

Treasure Is FL
Username hidden
(6992 posts)
"I fall more to the left than I do to the right"

I do too, it wears out my boxers unevenly....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
Oh, absolutely. I'm guilty as charged. I try make the conscious decision not to do it, but it still happens. But when I catch myself doing it, I try to strip the label and look at things objectively. Unfortunately I think I'm in the vast minority of people who do that. People like their labels. It makes us comfortable. Like you said, it's human nature.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Everybody labels, or judges people, you may be quiet about it, but you do it. It is human nature. The problem with Bobby he does not have a clue, and throws out labels that are far from their mark.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19367 posts)
Don't get me wrong, I don't consider it insulting, just as I don't take being called liberal as an insult. I'm a little bit of both. But admittedly, I fall more to the left than I do to the right so I generally tend to be lumped in with Dems and liberals. I was a registered Republican for about 16 years and even then was barely recognizable as such, even when my beliefs were more in line with the Republican party.

I just don't care for being labelled this or that. It's very divisive when people feel that they are forced to pick a side and only leads to stagnent government.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Cpl, he has called TBR a conservative. Basically if a person is not a minimum wage loser, in his eyes they are a conservative "Robber Baron".

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19367 posts)
Also, did you refer to me as a republican/conservative? That's a first.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 70   End
TOPIC: GOP needs to get with the times (pt 2)