Free Trade or Fair Trade : Swingers Discussion 98290101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsFree Trade or Fair Trade
TOPIC: Free Trade or Fair Trade
Created by: islandfuncpl
Original Starting post for this thread:
NAFTA started in 1994 after 6 years of negotiation by two Administrations Bush and Clinton. In 1992 Ross Perot said there would be a "Giant Sucking Sound" from across the border in Mexico if NAFTA passed. We use to have a positive trade balance with Mexico and the rest of the world. We now have huge trade deficits with most of our trading partners.

Free Trade policy and NAFTA has led to the loss of hundreds of thousands of high paying manufacturing jobs, 14 straight years of trade deficits, including a $700B trade deficit for this year alone. No empirical data supports the premise that Free Trade has benefited the US.

We have a lot of righties from the hard hit NE on this forum. Can someone tell me why this is a good thing for the US and why the conservative republicans feel that the US trade policy is working?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Good point, LOL

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
I hate to say this but what we need is a rovolution in Mexico but how can that happen when half the people are here in the US?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
International Companies like Intel, Oracle, Microsoft are off-shoring there well-paying jobs and getting tax breaks for doing so.

We let the smoke stack industries get exported but high-tech these are supposed to be the markets that we flourish and grow with. Now there being exported.

The Pols say all we have to do is re-train the displaced workers --Re-Train For What to be the Wal-Mart greeter. It just doesn't make sense.

Key West FL
Username hidden
(2881 posts)
Our trade policy is a mess. I hate protectionists but damn any protection of jobs would be better than what we have had these past 12-15 years. However Bush has not been alone in this one. Dems were hoping it would divert the immagration problem but there is no way to compete with corruption. Mexico is the third worse corrupt nation in the world, behind Japan and Malaysia. Why on earth would you be in bed with a country like that? Power brokers in Mexico are pocketing the money in stead of expanding and hiring. or atleast paying a decent wage for workers. What a fawking mess...No way we can get out of it with out all out war....LOL knock on wood.

Damn I need to save this one for my grand kids LOL ;0)

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Locking out trade is not the answer but a real treaty would help. NAFTA reminds me of our Welfare policy...It a hand out and didn't really help any one. and actually hurt us alot. It has made us very vulnerable.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
What I am saying is I dont want OVER protectionism But I want something of a gaurintee of Equal trade between partners....What we have now is plain sick. On this I agree with you.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Careful Lucky don't buy into the rightie talking point of "Protectionism". The bgigest protectionist policy in 50 years came from Reagan. I thought it was brilliant.

He told the Japanese Auto makers that if they wanted to sell cars here in the US they had to build 50% of them right here. Worked out great!

Bush could do that right now. Its could be a new Dept of Commerce trade policy no Congressional approval needed. Tell the Koreans if you want to sell Plasma TV's in the US build 50% of them here. The same could be done with other industry.

Protectionism -- I'm all for it. Tell me were I'm wrong on this one.

Key West FL
Username hidden
(2881 posts)
Our trade policy is a mess. I hate protectionists but damn any protection of jobs would be better than what we have had these past 12-15 years. However Bush has not been alone in this one. Dems were hoping it would divert the immagration problem but there is no way to compete with corruption. Mexico is the third worse corrupt nation in the world, behind Japan and Malaysia. Why on earth would you be in bed with a country like that? Power brokers in Mexico are pocketing the money in stead of expanding and hiring. or atleast paying a decent wage for workers. What a fawking mess...No way we can get out of it with out all out war....LOL knock on wood.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Lucky Damn we agree again -- You are no longer on the lemming list (lol)

I know it was the biggest mistake of Clinton's Presidency. Well second biggest (lol). Its opened the floodgates. But its been perpetuated and expanded since then. Bush has signed about 8 Free Trade agreement since he's been in there. Communist China is a "most favored nation". We give tax breaks for companies to ship jobs overseas.

Bush has let the UAE in Dubia buy the company that manages our major ports -- is this madness?

Key West FL
Username hidden
(2881 posts)
I think I hear crickets churping in here...

NAFT was a huge mistake and our Immagration situation is a symtem of this misguided treaty...IMHO

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: Free Trade or Fair Trade