Florida Man charged with threatening Obama and local sheriffs department : Swingers Discussion 219925
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsFlorida Man charged with threatening Obama and local sheriffs department
TOPIC: Florida Man charged with threatening Obama and local sheriffs department
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
A Florida man was in custody Friday on charges of threatening to kill President Barack Obama and the entire local sheriff's department, authorities said.

The man, Stanley Scott Viner, 48, of Lehigh Acres, was held on $200,000 bond in the Lee County jail after his arrest Thursday, court records showed.

Viner is accused of having sent a long, expletive-filled email message to sheriff's deputies threatening to kill Obama. The writer referred to himself as God and said he also intended to kill a Lee County deputy "and his family then the entire Lee County Sheriff's Department," according to the arrest report.

NBC station WBBH of Fort Myers quoted detectives as saying Viner was angry at a deputy who lives near his home. He claimed that the deputy arrested him and that the sheriff's office took his backpack — neither of which actually happened, according to the sheriff's office.

Viner was charged with intimidation by sending a threat to kill or injure and with threatening a public servant. The sheriff's office said the Secret Service was immediately notified of the threat.

YEEEEEHHAAAWWWWW!!!!

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I think it was always rather incomprehensible; it's only recently that so many people attempted to become polymaths.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20253 posts)
What's happened in my 40+ years of observation is that it's now a much more refined art/science. The snake oil is often just an idea; or the idea may exist to sell a product. Either way, you take 2 or more unrelated facts (or what sound like facts) and interject -- "Coincidence? I don't think so!"

Reverse psychology: If you don't buy my snake oil or conspiracy theory, you are just another gullible dupe!

So now, because mainstream media (MSM) sometimes miss a fact or get one wrong, people are told it's all wrong. The alternative: wacko web sites.

You too can be an expert in international relations, high finance, and government plots!

Because the world has become such an incomprehensible place, people really are looking harder to make it something simpler. And this amounts to an infinite marketplace of bad ideas.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
While I like the quote, I'm not so sure I agree with the conclusion you draw. The internet of course is a double-edged sword, allowing instant access to "information". Of course that information is often downright wrong, particularly for people who don't know how to find things, so it dissemenates bad information as readily as good.

However, think about how gullible people used to be. People would huck their snake oil all over the place. Dr. Bozo would roll into town and sell his magic cure-all, and people would do anything to get their hands on it. For decades this rolled on, and no matter how much everything was snake oil, people kept falling for it.

Of course, we still have snake oil salesmen, and people still swear by the snake oil. But stupid, gullible and simple people are hardly a new phenomenon.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20253 posts)
It was still the 1800's when Mark Twain wrote, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

The truth isn't usually as interesting. Crazy assertions always grab attention. Because sensationalism always gets the headlines, people who are bored and desperate for reassurance will often accept crap as the real deal.

So yeah, the internet brings the zanies to the forefront. But it and other media encourage zany thinking. Logic gets inverted, and without a foundation in real knowledge, the gullible are deceived.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"I disagree that there are more mentally unbalanced people than before. I think the internet just makes it very easy for them to quickly reach a large audience. "

Absolutely. I never knew how many idiots the world had until youtube gave me the ability to see them in action.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3205 posts)
I disagree that there are more mentally unbalanced people than before. I think the internet just makes it very easy for them to quickly reach a large audience.

These half way lunatics rambling on their youtube videos would barely be known to anyone other than their immediate circle of family and friends prior to the internet. The loonies have always been there. Now they have a way to mass-distribute their bizarre selves.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20253 posts)
I'd say America has gotten to the point where so many people are mentally unbalanced, that there aren't enough places to put them all or people to watch over them, to keep them away from guns.

Until the black market price of guns goes way up, there will continue to be easy access to guns, for criminals and insane people as well as everyone else.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
He's innocent until proven guilty, and another insane citizen who belongs in a special place where no guns, ammo, or other weapons of mass murder can be found.

Treasure Is FL
Username hidden
(7065 posts)
2. Post on Facebook that you blew up your ex's mailbox with a pipe bomb.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
How to get arrested:

1. Send a long, expletive-filled email message to sheriff's deputies threatening to kill Obama.

2. ?????

3. Make profit.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20253 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: Florida Man charged with threatening Obama and local sheriffs department