FIRST time EVER in my life, today, I am EMBARRASSED for America : Swingers Discussion 2205011081
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsFIRST time EVER in my life, today, I am EMBARRASSED for America
TOPIC: FIRST time EVER in my life, today, I am EMBARRASSED for America
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Start   81 to 90 of 95   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Jim you are right about that. But we must do what we need to do to stay within the law.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
VAcpl - "we protect ourselves within the legal limits of the law" --- that's the problem with these laws, they limit you who are only trying to defend yourself and have no impact on the criminal who by definition doesn't obey the law. He has no issue with assaulting you with whatever illegal method he has at his disposal. He is not bound by the "legal limits of the law".

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
Gusher - Any idea how to get you to answer a question or are you only able to pose them?

Outdoors - An "assault rifle" is a cosmetic definition of a firearm it is not a class of weapons. However, firearms are designed to kill things (they do other stuff too like make holes in paper targets, etc.). If my life is threatened I would like a tool designed to kill the person threatening me. I'd rather not need to use a pipe or a baseball bat or something else that takes me into close proximity with the miscreant. Banning assault rifles takes one more option off the table - an especially effective option. For home invasion types of attacks they are extremely good at it. The usual "shotguns are a better home defense weapon" argument is nonsense if you understand the ballistics involved - birdshot will spread and penetrate walls and be potentially lethal to people on the other side even when the main blast hits the bad guy. A .223 round from an AR-15 variant will hit the bad guy (real hard to miss from 20 feet as long as the barrel is pointed in his direction), fragment, tumble and not likely exit the body. Even if they do or if you miss, when hitting wallboard and potentially insulation, they'll fragment & tumble in the wall and are not likely to be lethal on the other side. They are also low-recoil easy to manage rifles. The kind you would want to use if you don't shoot much, are small, older & potentially weaker.

The 10 round magazine limit is a made up number with no basis in any study of firearm effectiveness or real need. NY decided you only "need" 7 rounds which happens to be the capacity of a 1911 45 caliber semi-automatic handgun. Joe Biden said something about only needing 6 rounds. The case this week with the 5 intruders suggest that if you only had 6 you better not miss.

The "universal" background check is a sham. It is anything but universal. It does not contain (in almost every state) mental health records or court imposed restraining orders. The ACLU has fought every attempt to include mental health records in national background check databases. The same for privacy advocates with regards to the court orders (as well as state governments not wanting the administrative burden of getting those records updated). The claim that "40% of all gun sales are made without background checks" is a smokescreen. That was true 20 years ago before the Brady Bill was passed. It hasn't been true for years. The latest numbers are around 7% or so. People using that argument know they're lying (or are simply uneducated and as such shouldn't be allowed to make laws until they are educated). If they know they're lying then they've got another agenda and are not concerned about the end justifying the means. Again something that should disqualify them from making laws.

Every lawmaker who says that the laws they're passing "make us safer" should be required to show how that is the case. Then when bad things happen they should be held financially responsible. There are over 20,000 gun control laws on the books already. What is the magic that says the next one is going to be the one that works? Those laws are almost universally unenforced - take a wander down to your local police department to look at the police logs where weapons were involved in the arrest. Then check with the disposition of the case and ask yourself why the firearms violations were not prosecuted. It is illegal for felons to possess a firearm. Every single one of them caught with a firearm should be prosecuted for that offense. Those have mandatory federal sentences. They apply to the federal 3-strikes laws. They're not enforced because states don't want the problems that putting that many people in jail would cause.

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
Gusher try doing something different. Answer a question if you are able to. We protect ourselves with in the legal limits of the law.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
jim how do you suggest we stop crazy people from getting guns ?

Dyer IN
Username hidden
(450 posts)
"We know how they would have stopped Americans from being able to defend themselves. "

J and J, can you enlighten us on how this would have happened?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I find it amazing that vacpl thinks everyone should be able to get a gun. why not make it legal to get bombs ? a arm is a arm right. how can a militia be effective without explosives ? Are you ok with HS kids going to school armed ? How bout court houses allowing weapons you for that ?

Dyer IN
Username hidden
(450 posts)
Gusher - no one is advocating letting crazy people have guns. But nothing proposed would stop that (mental health privacy rules prevent those records from being included in the background check registry).

You didn't explain how the bills defeated in Congress would have prevented terrorists from having guns which was what I asked.

Since you brought it up though, how exactly would Al Qaeda be prevented from getting guns by those laws?

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
Humm last attacks bombs planes and more bombs. They have never used firearms in an attack. Maybe we should outlaw planes if we use your logic. Try again.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
jim, why do feel it's good for our country to let anyone regardless of their mental or criminal back ground to get a gun ? do want al qaeda and all other terrorist groups to have easy access to weapons ?

Dyer IN
Username hidden
(450 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Start   81 to 90 of 95   End
TOPIC: FIRST time EVER in my life, today, I am EMBARRASSED for America