Eric Holder slams Florida's Stand your ground law : Swingers Discussion 225227
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsEric Holder slams Florida's Stand your ground law
TOPIC: Eric Holder slams Florida's Stand your ground law
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
Part 1

In speaking out against "Stand Your Ground" self-defense laws this week, Attorney General Eric Holder criticized legislation that has been enacted in some two dozen states and has been backed by powerful gun lobbyists since the first such law was passed in Florida in 2005. Stand Your Ground laws — sometimes referred to as "Shoot First" laws by detractors — change the legal definition of self-defense for citizens who feel they are being confronted with deadly force or imminent danger. They have been part of the public discussion around the George Zimmerman trial; although the legal team arguing on behalf of the man who was found not guilty of shooting Trayvon Martin did not ask for an immunity hearing under the law, the instructions given to the jury borrowed language from the statute.

Normally, a citizen has a duty to retreat when confronted with what they perceive to be deadly force. The Stand Your Ground doctrine mostly removes that, meaning citizens who feel threatened are no longer required to try to quell a situation first before having the right to use deadly force in self-defense. With major support from the National Rifle Association under a Republican state legislature during Gov. Jeb Bush's administration, Florida became the first state to enact a Stand Your Ground law on Oct. 1, 2005. Since then, Stand Your Ground law has been invoked in more than 200 cases in Florida where charges were dismissed or defendants were acquitted or not charged at all, according to The Tampa Bay Times. There are three parts to Florida's Stand Your Ground law. It states that a person is presumed to have reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm when using defensive force if an intruder has broken into his or her home or vehicle and is justified in using force; it states that a person does not have a duty to retreat if he or she believes death or bodily harm is imminent; and it provides immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force. What made it such radical legislation was the automatic presumption of reasonable fear. Inside Florida homes and cars, it overrode previous self-defense laws that required proof that an individual felt a reasonable enough level of fear to use self-defense.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 149   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Good answer Mickey,,,,you really can't fix stupid...

Winterville NC
Username hidden
(573 posts)
You really cannot fix stupid

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4997 posts)
Just:

"Only details you need is 2 young black males were murdered with guns by 2 black men, In the words of Hillary Clinton,,,WHAT DIFFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?, Obama had no problem saying this could have been me or my son when only 1 black young male was killed by a gun?"

Details are important and only ignorant fools think otherwise.

Obama said that TM could have been him or a son if he had one, because TM did nothing wrong. Zimmerman aggressed TM, Zimmerman provoked an altercation and that is what matters in this case.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
Only details you need is 2 young black males were murdered with guns by 2 black men, In the words of Hillary Clinton,,,WHAT DIFFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?, Obama had no problem saying this could have been me or my son when only 1 black young male was killed by a gun?

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4997 posts)
Just:

"There were 2 young black males shot and killed in Chicago couple days ago,,I wonder why we have not heard OBAMA Say one of those 2 black males that were murdered by black males in Chicago could have been him or one of his sons.. "

Now present the situation in which they were shot.

Were the victims gang members?

Were the victims attacking anyone?

Were the victims being aggressive?

Where did the shooting happen?

I need details, you are short on details.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
There were 2 young black males shot and killed in Chicago couple days ago,,I wonder why we have not heard OBAMA Say one of those 2 black males that were murdered by black males in Chicago could have been him or one of his sons..

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4997 posts)
"Eric Holder is a DipShit" and I would add, a pupit. When George Zimmerman was charged and tried in Florida, it was a local matter and Florida tax payers paid the bill. They can show their agreement or disagreement with that action next election. Zimmerman was tried and found not guilty so the president takes time to involve himself with local matters by implying that he does not agree and states that "a few years ago, that could have been me lieing dead...." Mr president has plenty of things to keep him busy in Washington! The atterny general now is trying to make a federal raceal case because one guy is black. Now we are talking about spending federal money, my money! Altough Obama won't be running again, I can garintee that I wont be voteing for any of his pupets.

Greencastle PA
Username hidden
(514 posts)
curious:

"Eric Holder is a DipShit..."

1. A despised person; a moron; an ineffectual person; one with a habit of being wrong, loudly and often.

Well, he is a well paid dipshit. However there are many well paid dipshits, just look at the Bushes and Palins of the world.

How one manages to win the election to become president and can be so foolish enough, as to take us to war in Iraq, (on obviously bad evidence and when most every ally of ours is pleading with us not to.) May only be the fault of the voting public who are ineffective, unintelligent, and habitually wrong, loudly and often.

This must explain our debts, ineffective military when faced against a similarly strong military and the fact we must beg and buy seats on Russian space craft.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
Eric Holder is a DipShit...

Winterville NC
Username hidden
(573 posts)
Swgold:

I do read what people have said. Think about what they say... But what I cannot accept is that there is room for an armed man to escalate any situation. To not think how their actions can make the situation worst.

Yes, I want to make it clear, if you are a armed American, you must do it cleaner and better than the unarmed american. Because you chose to be responsible for the taking of life. That responsibility comes with a burden to think about how things can go wrong if you put yourself into a escalated situation and how you may now be forced to use that deadly weapon when you needn't had to if you waited for the professionals.

What Zimmerman did was run into a burning building where there was no need to, and now the firemen must run in after him and pull him from out of under the ruble he found himself trapped by.

While Zimmerman didn't endanger any firemen, he has endangered everyone of us. He being able to use this as his defense has now opened the flood gates for others to act recklessly and claim self defense, to escalate otherwise nonthreatening situations to ones where violence and force is necessary.

This will result in laws which will restrict the right of self defense, the right to own and possess a gun. Why? Because over time, more people will be hurt or killed, people who needn't be hurt.

I don't want any more laws than anyone else.

This is why I say that if businessmen don't like paying taxes, mandated by law, pay their employees better, lower their own standard of living to raise their employee out of poverty and away from the government tit.

This is why I say that if gun owners want to keep their freedoms of owning and ease of access to fire arms, they must hold their fellow armed American on a pedestal made of delicate glass... If they screw up like Zimmerman did... Then the punishment ought be worst than if Zimmerman beat TM to death with a branch of a tree.

The making of law is a reactive measure society takes due to the failings of society to hold accountable those who hurt others. If McDonald's had a zero tolerance policy towards managers who's stores hurt people with hot coffee, the law suits wouldn't have happened.

(zero tolerance is immediate termination of either the manager or the franchise rights to that building.)

This isn't being a hard ass, it is being accountable.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 149   End
TOPIC: Eric Holder slams Florida's Stand your ground law