Elections have consequences : Swingers Discussion 2191161021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsElections have consequences
TOPIC: Elections have consequences
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   21 to 30 of 105   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I pulled that quote from the NCI article. If this Frezza guy did too I don't care. It's silly to try to discredit my use of a quote directly from the article you are holding up.

"Is it really unusual that the American Cancer Institute should put together facts to explain why Tea Party Republicans are trying to defund them and the entire National Institutes of Health? "

YES!

It is outrageous for an administration to use a respected public health organization as mouthpiece to attack their political opponents under the guise of "cancer research". If Obama, Pelosi, Debbie W-S or a politician wants to stand there and extoll the evils of Republicans, that's perfectly fine with me. They are politicians doing political things. The NIH is NOT a political organization and to co-opt them to behave like one (or even allow or condone it) is most uncool.

I would be just as pissed if PBS made anti-Democrat political garbage for Sesame Street during the Bush years. Politicians can publish all the propaganda they want. The government itself is not supposed to, especially in slimy stealthy ways such as this. This is beyond unacceptable. Similar to when CMS was running commercials on TV about how awesome Obamacare was. WTF - outrageous.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19923 posts)
"Various administrations have always been funding NIH google searches to discredit their political opponents. I'm sure there are oodles of Dept of Energy studies about Monica Lewinsky, .."

I don't see the connection there. Is it really unusual that the American Cancer Institute should put together facts to explain why Tea Party Republicans are trying to defund them and the entire National Institutes of Health?

Apparently the Tea Party is the tool of the tobacco industry, among others. The Republican Party is the tool of the Tea Party. They don't want regulations on tobacco or fossil fuels. Put 2 and 2 together.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"...to discredit their political opponents."

As always, I'm just looking for facts. I know how propaganda works. I've seen the exact same arguments used in desegregation, abortion rights, gay rights, tobacco advertising and use, forest protection, environment, gun regulations, etc, etc.

It always is about how "government interferes with you"; and the corollary is that "business knows what works".

I'm not worried about government seizing my guns or my fillings, so I don't get these arguments. They all look like, "get out of my way so I can make more money".

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I quoted who? The only thing I quoted in there was the paper itself (the part in quotes). I wrote everything else.

I'm sure this is all normal, of course. Various administrations have always been funding NIH google searches to discredit their political opponents. I'm sure there are oodles of Dept of Energy studies about Monica Lewinsky, Dept of Transportation studies about labor unions, and Dept of Agriculture studies about student loans crushing Occupy Wall Street hippies.

Right?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19923 posts)
VB quotes an activist with the Competitive Enterprise Institute. ======== CEI is an outspoken anthropogenic [human caused] climate change skeptic and an opponent of government action that would require limits on greenhouse gas emissions. It favors free-market environmentalism, and supports the idea that market institutions are more effective in protecting the environment than is government....

In May 2006, CEI's global warming policy activities attracted attention as it embarked upon an ad campaign with two television commercials. These ads promote carbon dioxide as a positive factor in the environment and argue that global warming is not a concern. One ad focuses on the message that CO2 is misrepresented as a pollutant, stating that "it’s essential to life. We breathe it out. Plants breathe it in... They call it pollution. We call it life." The other states that the world's glaciers are "growing, not melting... getting thicker, not thinner."

====== Delusional, or evil ? -- you decide.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Did I say people who want to discredit science that tells you tobacco will kill you, and sell you cigarettes, and addict you to them while you're a teenager, and kill you after making thousands of dollars from your addiction are evil?

Or that convincing people the Govt is evil because they intervene in your private life by outlawing smoking in public places is less than honorable?

In the grand sweep of things, mass suicide by tobacco is a blip on the historic population curve. The addiction to fossil fuel, and the immediate and long term effect on climate, is the only issue of real historic importance. Guns, abortion, budgets, are trivial.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
rollingstone.co m/politics/news/big-tobaccos-tea-party-ties-exposed-20130213

Conventional wisdom holds that the Tea Party movement emerged as a result of grassroots anger against the government in 2009. We've known for some time that the real story is more complicated. An awful lot of big money, including from the infamous Koch Industries and other corporate sources, helped fund and direct the movement. But that's not all. A new peer-reviewed study, published in the journal Tobacco Control and funded by the National Cancer Institute, found that the Tea Party's origin story involves another extremely troubling major character: Big Tobacco.

In the 1980s, the study found, the tobacco industry launched a PR campaign focused around the idea that cigarette taxes, public health studies and other anti-smoking initiatives infringed on "smokers' rights." Anything that curtailed industry profits would be recast as an infringement on smokers by an intrusive government. Sound familiar?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
It's good to know that the sequester hasn't impacted the National Cancer Institute's job as a political tool.

"We used the Legacy Tobacco Documents Library, the Wayback Machine, Google, LexisNexis, the Center for Media and Democracy and the Center for Responsive Politics (opensecrets. org) to examine the tobacco companies' connections to the Tea Party."

I know when I was a cancer researcher, these are the methods I used.

I'm not actually disputing any of the claims made by the NIH's political witch hunt masqueraded as cancer research. Anyone who uses the word "Big" to describe an industry has given away a lot of their own agenda. Have you ever heard news of Small Oil, Small Tobacco, Small Pharma? "Big" is used to make things sound scary and evil. I don't believe the NCI refers to themselves as "Big Government" or "Big Research", even though these are huge organizations.

I'm sure your aim is to discredit the concept based on people who may have been behind it from the beginning, people you describe as evil. The concept of national freeway systems was initiated by evil people too. It doesn't automatically make it a bad idea.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19923 posts)
Our democracy has been hacked by this expansion of corporate power, preventing meaningful action on several crucial issues. The climate crisis is an instructive example. The strategic goal of the market fundamentalists to "reposition global warming as theory not fact" has created enough false doubt around the issue to hinder progress.

The potential consequences of climate change have never been clearer than they are today. Consider what we saw in America just last year. 2012 was the hottest year in American history and 60% of America experienced drought. Extreme weather events, like Superstorm Sandy, caused over $110 billion of damages. Yet Congress remains paralyzed, with many lawmakers even refusing to acknowledge the validity of climate science. The future of our planet demands that we put the sustainability of our planet before corporate profit.

We must reclaim control of our destiny. Reducing corporate influence in American politics and reinvigorating reason-based decision-making is vital to the sustainability of our democratic system.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
The disturbing history of links between market fundamentalists, the tobacco industry and the Tea Party movement is part of an even larger trend... Following the era of Progressive and New Deal reforms that restrained corporate influence in American politics following the infamous Robber Baron Era, market fundamentalists were once again motivated and radicalized by the social turbulence of the 1960s.

In 1971, a prominent lawyer for the tobacco industry, Lewis Powell, wrote a memorandum for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that presented a comprehensive plan aimed at shifting the balance of political power in favor of corporations. President Nixon appointed Powell to the Supreme Court just two months later.

Guided by the Powell Memo, market fundamentalists have pursued a comprehensive strategy to dramatically increase corporate influence in American politics. Powell himself worked with other pro-corporate justices to interpret laws in ways that were favorable to corporate interests, most importantly expanding the precedent of corporate personhood. As a direct result, corporate lobbying exploded, increasing from $100 million in 1975 to $3.5 billion in 2010.

Corporations also used increasingly voluminous campaign contributions to promote the election of pro-corporate politicians at all levels of government. Wealthy donors founded conservative think tanks to influence public opinion in favor of market fundamentalism. The Tea Party is a clear extension of Powell's strategy to promote corporate profit at the expense of the public good.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   21 to 30 of 105   End
TOPIC: Elections have consequences