Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Do You Know Where YourMoney Is
TOPIC: Do You Know Where YourMoney Is
Created by: TriState24U
Original Starting post for this thread:
14 years worth of tax returns filed by the citizens of South Carolina have fallen into the hands of a hacker(s). The Governor of S.C., Nikki Haley said to be safe anyone (including out of state filing) who filed S.C. taxes since 1998 should assume anything on their tax return is in the hands of hackers.

The state likely learned about the breach when the Secret Service noticed S.C. information being sold on the black market. The Secret Service told state officials about the data hacking on Oct. 10, nearly a month after it happened.

S.C. has offered to provide those affected with one year of credit monitoring and identify-theft protection, the cost for protection, will be at the expense of the taxpayers.

Should the State of South Carolina be held liable for any personal financial loss? How do you feel about the trend towards e-money as the "new currency" and e-filing in regards to the level of cyber-security in your own State?

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
User Details are only visible to members.
Big:

The people of SC chose that government... The people of any democracy are liable for the actions of their government and to this extent, all nations are democracies as the people allow the government to remain in power. (unless the people are mindless zombies, but we can kill those wholesale and not hang in the hage for it.)

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7703 posts)
not should the taxpayers be liable.but state offcials....BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
Yes SC should be held liable, however what we really need to do is to rethink Identity. A second SS number should be issued. The first is the ID we use day to day with businesses and the government. The second number should be on a secured central data base, accessible only by a closed network off the grid.

Will this create delays in checking both forms of ID? yes, but it will be more secure.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7703 posts)
"Should the State of South Carolina be held liable for any personal financial loss?"

Yes. They are trusted with keeping the personal information of their residents safe and secure. If they handle their own security, they are 100% liable. If they contract that responsibility to security company, then the blame is shared.

"How do you feel about the trend towards e-money as the "new currency""

It's no different than when personal checks became a common place alternative for cash. In fact, "e-money" is better for the retailer than checks ever were. Up until 10-15 years ago, I could write a check without having the funds to cover it. With e-money, you either have the means to make a purchase or you don't. Most transactions are instantaneous and the money has been deducted from your account before you get from the register to the exit.

"and e-filing in regards to the level of cyber-security in your own State?"

I've never filed electronically. I'm sure cyber-security in my state is just fine, but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to tax codes and laws so I'd rather have a professional do it for me.

T

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3205 posts)
I admit that last part was c-p it probably should read 2 months since the theft happened.

Hillsdale NY
Username hidden
(47 posts)
Better yet,

Almost two months have passed since South Carolina officials revealed hackers swiped state tax information belonging to as many as 4.45 million consumers and businesses. The crime wasn't detected until October 10th. The data was obtained in mid-September by an international hacker.

Hillsdale NY
Username hidden
(47 posts)
"The Secret Service told state officials about the data hacking on Oct. 10, nearly a month after it happened."

Why the fuck did the Secret Service wait a MONTH to tell South Carolina about it?

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20263 posts)
14 years worth of tax returns filed by the citizens of South Carolina have fallen into the hands of a hacker(s). The Governor of S.C., Nikki Haley said to be safe anyone (including out of state filing) who filed S.C. taxes since 1998 should assume anything on their tax return is in the hands of hackers.

The state likely learned about the breach when the Secret Service noticed S.C. information being sold on the black market. The Secret Service told state officials about the data hacking on Oct. 10, nearly a month after it happened.

S.C. has offered to provide those affected with one year of credit monitoring and identify-theft protection, the cost for protection, will be at the expense of the taxpayers.

Should the State of South Carolina be held liable for any personal financial loss? How do you feel about the trend towards e-money as the "new currency" and e-filing in regards to the level of cyber-security in your own State?

Hillsdale NY
Username hidden
(47 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 8 of 8 
TOPIC: Do You Know Where YourMoney Is