Did Truth Win Out and Was Justice Served : Swingers Discussion 77026
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDid Truth Win Out and Was Justice Served
TOPIC: Did Truth Win Out and Was Justice Served
Created by: SensuousAndNasty
Original Starting post for this thread:
Prosecutors Drop Charges in Duke Case Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:56 PM EDT The Associated Press By AARON BEARD

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Prosecutors dropped all charges Wednesday against the three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a stripper at a party, saying the athletes were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by an overreaching district attorney.

"There were many points in the case where caution would have served justice better than bravado," North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said in a damning assessment of Durham County District Mike Nifong's handling of the sensational case.

Cooper, who took over the case in January after Nifong was charged with ethics violations that could get him disbarred, said his own investigation concluded not only that the evidence against the young men was insufficient, but that no attack took place.

Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans were indicted last spring on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense after the woman told police she was assaulted in the bathroom at an off-campus house during a team party where she had been hired to perform.

But the attorney general said the eyewitness identification procedures were unreliable, no DNA supported the woman's story, no other witness corroborated it, and the woman contradicted herself.

"Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges," Cooper said.

He said the charges resulted from a "tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations."

Cooper called for the passage of a state law that would allow the North Carolina Supreme Court to remove a prosecutor "who needs to step away from a case where justice demands."

"This case shows the enormous consequences of overreaching by a prosecutor," he said.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 9 of 9 
User Details are only visible to members.
Well, it's too damn bad they won't press charges against her for filing bogus charges. Frankly, I'm pretty sick of some of these wackos females who accuse people of doing things that aren't true and then getting away with it. Apparently, all a psycho has to do is yell "rape, assault, battery, stalker" and LEO nails the guys innocent ass while she goes off on her merry way claiming how tough she had it growing up. Laws that were designed to help women are being used to hang innocent people. Enough BS. False accusations should warrant a nice stiff penalty.

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
...and I didn't even call her a "nappy headed ho"...(duckin)

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
Justice will only be fully served when Nifong loses his license to practice law and the accuser goes to jail for filing false charges. Glad to see the players have been vindicated....freakin' bitch (oops)

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
"I understand that justice is not always swift. My question is did the system work; did truth and justice win out?"

Sen, usually I agree and respect most of what you write. In this case I don't agree with your conclusion. No, the system didn't work because the wrong man has spent 14 years in prison and the actual offended has been walking the streets. In the case of the Duke players, yes it worked to some extent. The problem is those folks are out millions of dollars because one man, Nifong (probably a UNC grad) decided he knew eveything and wanted to make an example of those three men. Knowing that in the long run it doesn't make me feel better. One problem I have is the worse that can happen to Nifong is he gets disbarred, which he deserves. The woman who made the claims now could face a civil suit if the families feel like pushing the issue. Nifong gets disbarred. There has to be a better way, public officials can't be sued, this case is a prime example how that law is wrong. He should be held more accountable than what he is.

Allentown PA
Username hidden
(806 posts)
And again it begs the question, How many more? did Nifong fuck? But yes it worked in this case because of public scrutiny, not to mention 3 million $ in legal fees paid by these defendants. What about the poor guy with out money who feels he can beat the system with a public defender.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
I think it did. For all the media slants and the publics perceptions and misperceptions, it appears that the system does work.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
YY,

I understand that justice is not always swift. My question is did the system work; did truth and justice win out?

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
How many more have been treated this way and how many are still in prison.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Prosecutors Drop Charges in Duke Case Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:56 PM EDT The Associated Press By AARON BEARD

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Prosecutors dropped all charges Wednesday against the three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a stripper at a party, saying the athletes were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by an overreaching district attorney.

"There were many points in the case where caution would have served justice better than bravado," North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said in a damning assessment of Durham County District Mike Nifong's handling of the sensational case.

Cooper, who took over the case in January after Nifong was charged with ethics violations that could get him disbarred, said his own investigation concluded not only that the evidence against the young men was insufficient, but that no attack took place.

Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans were indicted last spring on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense after the woman told police she was assaulted in the bathroom at an off-campus house during a team party where she had been hired to perform.

But the attorney general said the eyewitness identification procedures were unreliable, no DNA supported the woman's story, no other witness corroborated it, and the woman contradicted herself.

"Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges," Cooper said.

He said the charges resulted from a "tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations."

Cooper called for the passage of a state law that would allow the North Carolina Supreme Court to remove a prosecutor "who needs to step away from a case where justice demands."

"This case shows the enormous consequences of overreaching by a prosecutor," he said.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 9 of 9 
TOPIC: Did Truth Win Out and Was Justice Served