Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing : Swingers Discussion 675381031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDems become Majority: Good or Bad thing
TOPIC: Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 231   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Here's exactly the way it appeared on the ballot:

"PERMANENTLY DISABLED VETERANS' DISCOUNT ON HOMESTEAD AD VALOREM TAX

Reference: Article VII, Section 6

Summary: View Full Text (pdf) Proposing an amendment to the State Constitution to provide a discount from the amount of ad valorem tax on the homestead of a partially or totally permanently disabled veteran who is age 65 or older who was a Florida resident at the time of entering military service, whose disability was combat-related, and who was honorably discharged; to specify the percentage of the discount as equal to the percentage of the veteran's permanent service-connected disability; to specify qualification requirements for the discount; to authorize the Legislature to waive the annual application requirement in subsequent years by general law; and to specify that the provision takes effect December 7, 2006, is self-executing, and does not require implementing legislation.

Sponsor: The Florida Legislature"

Dave

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
Perfect

It is all in the details. And as I went to the polls I told the wife that the constitutional amendment was going to "strongly" pass. The title of the amendment as I said sounded very good and definately "supporting" the troops. The title was something like "To provide (not change) a discount for disabled veterans equal to thier disability rating" - Automatic yes vote there.

Since I am a disabled veteran, it caught my eye but when I checked the details????....I voted against it. Forget that I'll now have a tax bill for real estate next year. 40 years.....40 years before a 25 year old Florida resident disabled vet must wait???? Can't get it until 65.

Another point here is the "republican legislature". Florida has a strong republican majority in its legislature.....this constitutional amendment was put on the ballot by that legislature. I'm sorry but this does not seem like "supporting the troops" to me.

The problem I have with Florida constitutional amendments is wording and failure to state current law and exactly how it will change so voters can determine the affect of thier vote.

Dave

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
JNM

I am a resident of Florida so this was my ballot. I tried to find everything I could about it before voting....I came up with what I posted. I did not find one single statement anywhere stating that those already receiving it would retain the current discount. Yes I am very much affected, so I paid attention. I am rated 100% service connected (but not combat related), total and permanent and was not a resident of Florida when I enlisted...West Virginia here but I have lived in Florida from 1973 to current except for 3 years stationed in GA. I fully expect to go back on the tax roles for November 2007.

If you have read something to the contrary allowing some kind of grandfathering I'd be interested in reading it myself....please share. lol

Dave

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
Sen & Akron

At least PA did something to get something to the vets. Let me tell you what the republican legislature in Florida did which passed as an amendment with over 77% support. You got to follow this close tho. We had an amendment which asked the voters of Florida to "provide" a discount on real estate taxes (ad valorem) to disabled veterans. Sounded real good, supporting" the disabled vet by giving them a tax break. As I said passed with 77+ %. Now follow this:

Old law - provides any disabled vet over 10% rated with $5000 off the taxable value of thier home. Any vet rated 100% plus labeled "total and permanent" by the VA was "totally" exempt from Real Estate Taxes. Now replaced effective some day in January. The veteran had to supply one piece of paper to the county......a letter from the VA stating the veteran is rated 100%, total and permanent.

New law - provides a discount equal to the disabled vets disability percentage. So for example a disabled vet rated 50% would get a 50% discount on thier real estate taxes; 80% rated would receive 80% off the tax bill. Sounds good don't it?

Here's the catchs - Only a disabled vet who enlisted as a "resident" of Florida will now be eligible for the discount, that vet cannot get the discount until he/she is aged 65 or older and "only" if the disability is "combat related". The disabled vet will have to provide 4 documents to the county 1)proof of residency in Florida when they enlisted 2) proof thier disability is combat related 3) a letter from the VA stating thier % of disability and 4) proof of honorable discharge.

My thoughts - the 25 year old vet that gets his legs blown off in Iraq who is rated 100% total and permanent must wait 40 years (if he lives that long) to get his discount. The vet who becomes 100% total and permanently disabled which is service connected but not combat related never gets it. Veterans who have lived in Florida for most of thier life but did not enlist while a resident of Florida will never get the discount. Now out of 20,000 plus wounded veterans (the ones that die get nothing), for arguement sake say 200 were residents of Florida when they enlisted is the states liability. All the other veterans currently receiving either 100% discount or the $5000 value knocked off......they go back on the tax roles. Therefore, it appears to me that there is more going back on the tax roles immediately with a few coming off the tax roles in 40 years.

Seems to me that if they really wanted to help the disabled vet they would have just modified what was already there by say dropping the $5000 lesser value for a discount equal to thier rating, no residency requirements and no combat related requirement.

Thoughts?

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
Redhot wrote:

"The voters in PA just voted for paying the 1st Gulf War veterans 20 million dollars...not to say they did not deserve it. But how do we plan on paying for it? The money has to come from somewhere, perhpas there is a better way to pay for it...but apparently this is what they came up with. Governments, like citizens, can't live on credit forever!"

Akron replied:

"How much will each PA Gulf War vet get of that $20MM? Is this another "feel good" measure by some politicians?" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My reply should of read (sorry about the typo's):

The measure does NOT just cover National Guard and Reservist from Penn, but all Penn Vets. Having said THAT, the maximum paid out per Vet is $545.00. Take what you want in the "buts and whys" of this bill, as it does very little to pay back or reward our military men and women of their sacrifices.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Redhot wrote:

"The voters in PA just voted for paying the 1st Gulf War veterans 20 million dollars...not to say they did not deserve it. But how do we plan on paying for it? The money has to come from somewhere, perhpas there is a better way to pay for it...but apparently this is what they came up with. Governments, like citizens, can't live on credit forever!"

Akron replied:

"How much will each PA Gulf War vet get of that $20MM? Is this another "feel good" measure by some politicians?" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The measure does just cover National Guard and Reservist from Penn, but all Penn Vets. Having said the maximum paid out per Vet is $545.00. Take what you want in the "buts and whys" of this bill, as it does very little to pay back or reward our military men and women of their sacrifices.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
ha.. a thinking american asking to proven american's are thinking...

aren't even the conservative the same americans..lol.. or perhaps they aren't thinking either.. or maybe they aren't american.. and we are all just dreaming..

smart assing my way 8-)

Bridgeport PA

Username hidden
(12773 posts)
I have no doubt that there still could be places they have the weapons hidden. Just because we didn't find them doesn't mean they didn't exist. That also doesn't mean there wasn't any other motives driving for the war either. Someday we may know but not anytime soon for sure.

My only issue with the attack on Iraq is timing.

just two cents..

Bridgeport PA

Username hidden
(12773 posts)
Nope your first assesment was corret they don't give a shit about us, until election time. That's why I could not stand to listen to my local hip hop station promoting democrats as if all of our problems would be solved. This happens every election cycle, they rant and run down the GOP, then after the election we don't hear anything else from these people that are put into office. I wish for once someone would tell the truth on black radio about election season and the real problems that prevent us from solving problems within the Black community. Honesty is just not popular, just ask Bill Cosby.

The dems will talk a good game and in about a year if the economy is doing about the same or a little better they will tout the numbers as if they made a big difference. And watch how 4% unemployment becomes a wonderful thing!

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
....LOL....I figured your answer would be generic at best....

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 231   End
TOPIC: Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing