Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing : Swingers Discussion 675381021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDems become Majority: Good or Bad thing
TOPIC: Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 231   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I never understood that. When I get my tax refund a few years back, I thought the government was returning MY money. I never viewed it as a gift.

I do listen to Rush. I disagree with him on most points, but he researches well, makes you think and is well read. That should not be viewed as a bad thing. Listen, research and form your own opinion. That is what I get from Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Dobbs, Russert, and Scarborough. They all research and reference well, encourage you to do the same and state you should form your own opinion. I hardly ever agree with the conclusions that Rush comes to, I sometimes agree with Hannity, I am 50/50 with O'Reilly, Russert, and Dobbs. My ideology is close to Joe Scarborough's, a Reagan Conservative.

I also listen to NPR. Al Franken makes me laugh. He gives NO references, except his books, and tells YOU how to think, who to hate, and that only people like him can "save" this country.

So, If I hardly concur with Rush and I think Franken is insane, who I am following? Me, myself and I......rene - lol.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
redhot wrote:

"Also...the Veterans got their pay, and have their benefits, and have certain rights to loans for school, and other compensation...which they exceedingly deserve. This was an "extra". I would have been in favor of more, but happy they got that one. I haven't heard of any other State doing it. Is it so hard for you to admit this is a step in the right direction?" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't do what others do, please read my entire posts. Addressing your last sentence I have REPEATEDLY stated this was a nice thing for the voters to do. However going to your first sentence: I am a retired 21 year VET, currently bouncing between school and consulting work attempting to finish my masters. Do you know who pays for it - me! Why?, because in 1989, a bill, authored by John Kerry, reduced my educational benefits. I also have no dental. Why?, because that same bill deleted all dental care for retirees. I also have to use a primary private insurance, as Tri-Care can only be used as a primary if you are classified as a disabled VET. Why?, again because of the same bill introduced by Kerry and passed by a DEMOCRAT controlled congress. So before you tell me we get our benefits get the facts.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
My point is they are owed much more then a symbolic gift. I do think the voters in PA were doing the honorable thing in approving this. However, the politicians who came up with the idea were doing this for votes and to misdirect the voters from more substantial issues.

These service men and women are OWED LOST and ERODED medical, dental and educational benefits. While our politicians increase their retirement plans for themselves, their families, as well as the many UNIONIZED Federal workers, they continue to erode or delete the EARNED benefits of our men and women in uniform.

Politicians are very smart, they understand that the majority of Americans have short attention spans. We are all concerned day to day with our own lives, putting our kids through school, paying our mortgages etc. These type of band aide bills, make people feel good about themselves but do nothing in the log term. Again, I am not blaming the voters, they did the honorable thing and I salute them for it.

To me and many other VETS, we appreciate what the citizens of PA are trying to do for PA VETS, but feel that this was just another political attempt to redirect attention away from the real problem of lost benefits.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
StPete.

My wife and I also caught the ad a few nights ago. She (the Liberal in the family- lol) was the one who pointed out that the line "President Bush stop the genecide now", was no longer part of the ad. Even she thought that attacking or implying that a civil war, in another country, was Bush's fault, when the United Nations has the power to act without Bush's approval. Even as a liberal, my wife feels the ad was made as a political statement versus any real concern for the people of Darfur.

Just her opinion and one that we agree on.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Sen

Just saw Darfur ads last night on the tube here so thier not totally gone. At least not in my area.

Dave

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
....has anyone noticed that since the election has ended those Darfur ads, from the Hollywood crowd have almost disappeared. I guess with the Democrats in charge now, we must of gone in under the cover of darkness and solved all the problems there. ...or could it be the ads are no longer running because making the Democrats look bad is not part of their agenda?

Makes me want to go, hmmmmmmmmmmm............

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
redhot wrote:

"I can not believe this shit....we vote to give a gift to Vets....and people are complaining how big it is!!!!! I voted for it...damn straight I did! They may deserve more...but that is what we could give them! And no one else is doing anything to help. WTF! I am guessing you did not vote in favor of it?" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My first and only point.....you see it as a gift......think about it.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Sen

Agreed. I finally found the bill (HRJ 631), yep 100% voted in favor. Apparantly it was put forth for the benefit of WWII vets, even effective Dec 7th. But honestly, I don't get the purpose of it.....seems like the WWII vets would have been elegible for what Florida law already exempted. The actual bill also has estimates of how many vets are receiving each exemption. About 30,000 vets get 100% exemption, about 89,000 others receive the $5,000 off thier value (this equates to very little tax break after millage is applied) and I believe it said around 300 or so will benefit from the additional amendment. I would have been in favor of just changing the $5000 off the value to a discount equal to the percentage disability. Articles I've found says it won't help many but it's for the vet so vote for it. Well it's mute now, it's passed and it is what it is....we'll live with it. lol Now if they can really do something about 89% increases to homeowners insurance. That's how much ours went up.....and wouldn't you know it, thank god, not one single hurricane has hit the east coast this year with a couple weeks remaining to hurricane season. Guess the insurance companies will have record profits following these increases.

Dave

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
St Pete,

I concur with you. First, you are correct in saying that at least PA did something for it's Vets. My point was they are still being short changed. A research of the FL bill shows it was a bi-partison bill supported by both Republicans and Democrats from FL.

As I have stated in the past and will state again, neither side of the aisle, Republican or Democrat has a good track record in taking care of our Veterans and retirees. Although Disabled Vets get the primary and most helpful VA benefits, they deserve better as all levels of service men and women, regardless of whether they are disabled or not, should receive the best care among any government employee. BUT...they do not.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
JNM

Thanks you may have taken about a $2500 load off my mind lol Found this in the Orlando Sentinel dated 11/08/06:

"Amendment 7 -- winning with 78 percent of votes cast -- gives a property-tax discount to permanently disabled residents 65 or older, provided they entered the military as a Florida resident, were honorably discharged and have a combat-related disability.

The amendment does not trump any property-tax exemptions already in place for veterans.

Both amendments will mean a loss of millions of dollars in revenue to local governments."

The other amendment on the ballot was doubling the homestead exemption for seniors (over 65 and I believe earning less than around $20,000 per year) from $25,000 to $50,000.

Dave

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 231   End
TOPIC: Dems become Majority: Good or Bad thing