Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress : Swingers Discussion 2101051071
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDebt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress
TOPIC: Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 305   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"How would one know if a Congress was veto-proof???"

Lol, all it takes is a President with a pair of balls. Reagan and Clinton had them and bent Congress to their will more than others. GWB didn't need to veto much because he already had a Congress that gave him what he wanted in the first instance.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
" Yet when it comes to accepting ANY accountability for the huge debt rung up from the fiscal policies of Republican presidents, you insist on passing the buck. "

I'm not passing the buck, you are. It the duty of Congress to control the Purse Strings. You lay all the debt on the Executive, ignoring that Democratic Congress spends the most. The only instances in my lifetime of Congress actually taking charge to control spending has been with Republican control.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17118 posts)
"Apart from the fact that it has not caused a penny of debt and actually has been cash-flow positive by large amounts,"

No but it certainly has been the cash cow for dems. to take and not pay back for other programs now hasnt it?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
"A complete sentence would be "A veto-proof Congress controls spending."

That's funny (in a sad way). How would one know if a Congress was veto-proof??? The last time a party had 2/3 majority in both House and Senate was in the early 1970's I believe............and there have been vetos overridden since then. You'd think that you would understand, and promote, elected officials crossing political lines to do what's best for the country.

Your 'complete' sentence is ridiculous.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17118 posts)
" agree that Dems have supported a lot of those programs, and remind you of the fact that most of them had overwhelming Repub support too." 

"Well some of the other guys thought it was a good idea" ..........Fucking typical liberal. ============ Lol, about the time you were typing "fucking typical liberal," a  conservative was posting in another unrelated thread that many Democrats had voted in favor of the Iraq use-of-force resolution. I doubt he would appreciate your calling his point typically liberal. 

The largest program that you "blame" Democrats for is Social Security. Apart from the fact that it has not caused a penny of debt and actually has been cash-flow positive by large amounts, there were more than just "some" of the other guys who voted for it. It passed 372-33 in the House and 77-6 in the Senate. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"So why mention GWB"

The quote you are referring to was my response in another thread to a statement that there haven't been any major changes in foreign policies by different presidents over the past few decades. 

I generally agreed, but noted that Iraq was a pretty substantial departure from previous policies. Invading another country to effect regime change, and then involving a substantial portion of our military in nation-building, was a significant change in foreign policy. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"You're like a little girl. Just say 'Congress ultimately controls spending"" 

There is NOTHING incomplete in the above sentence. You do understand the word 'ultimately'? ====================  A complete sentence would be "A veto-proof Congress controls spending." 

The reason we keep talking in circles is because you insist on looking at this in abstract, theoretical terms instead of the actual, real world. The times that Congress has overridden an appropriations veto in the last 30+ years can be counted on one hand's fingers, and don't involve a hill of beans.

How many times have you thumped your chest that only conservatives believe in accountability? Yet when it comes to accepting ANY accountability for the huge debt rung up from the fiscal policies of Republican presidents, you insist on passing the buck. 

The funny thing is that the biggest debts in history (other than those caused primarily by the effects of the Recession as opposed to any policy initiatives), were rung up during the GWB years under a mostly Republican congress. But that fact doesn't fit your preconceived notion either, so you just ignore it. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"I never left out the Veto. I said Congress has the ultimate power to override." 

Lie. Here's yet another one of your many assertions:

"Congress controls spending. Period. That's a fact, you can't talk around it." 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
:-). I want to be all in Mrs. Akron

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17118 posts)
I'm all in with Perfect on this one.

White Hse Sta NJ
Username hidden
(4489 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 305   End
TOPIC: Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress