Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress
TOPIC: Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 305   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I didn't think so.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
This was easier to find than I thought it would be. From the Heritage, May 24, 2012, by Brian Darling:

"CQ estimated that the final spending bill “provided about $31 billion more in discretionary funding than was included in the fiscal 2008 versions of the nine bills” which is “about $19 billion more than Bush sought.”

Funny side note: The Heritage  article goes on to point out that Congress deferred action on that appropriation until after the presidential transition, because Bush had threatened to veto the $19 billion increase. I guess Heritage agrees with me that Presidents really do matter when it comes to fiscal matters. 

Additional note: Obama signed the appropriation in private, and released a statement expressing his disgust with the $5.5 B in earmarks. Only seven weeks in office, he signed it anyway rather than shutting down the government during the worst recession since the 1930's. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"Bush's proposal was for 3.1 trillion. According to wiki " The actual spending signed into law in the final bill was increased by over $400 billion."

You have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to understand these things on anything deeper than a superficial level. 

For over two months you have dodged every one of my half-dozen invitations to point out any specific post-Bush initiative that caused the 2009 deficit to increase. It's more fun for you to simply say that Obama increased the debt by X dollars, than to understand how his actual initiatives added only a fraction to that deficit. 

But if you want to give it a shot, you will have to look at more than the reason why final spending in FY 2009 was $400 B more than Bush's budget proposal (and $535 B more than 2008 spending). 

Put on your thinking cap. Can you think of anything that happened between Bush's February 2008 submission of a $3.1 Trillion budget request for FY 2009, and the end of that year? (Hint: I've already explained a lot of it to you in previous posts). 

Note: I am not for one minute suggesting that either Congress or Obama didn't raise spending. Only that their actions accounted for only a fraction of the deficit increase in 2009. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"According to Governmentspending . com spending for 2009 was $3.517 trillion, which seems to agree with wiki."

Those numbers also agree with the official OMB report, which was my source when I pointed out the same number a few posts ago. If you know anyone with reading comprehension skills, ask them to read and explain it to you sometime. 

Here, let me try to help you. It was where I corrected your "NO" response to my statement that "most" of the 2009 spending pie had already been baked before Obama took office. 

I noted that the only appropriations Obama signed were for $600 B in mandatory spending and $410 B discretionary (which was only $19 B more than Bush's aggregate budget request). If you know someone with arithmetic comprehension, they can explain to you that the remaining $2.5 trillion  was "most" of the $3.5 trillion spent that year. Your "NO" response was yet another of your too-many-to-list errors. 

As for the source of the $19 B difference in that $410 B appropriation, it was in a Congressional Quarterly analysis that you need a paid subscription to read. But I recalled seeing those numbers repeated in an article on one of the conservative websites, which I'll try to find if you really want me to. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
According to Governmentspending . com spending for 2009 was $3.517 trillion, which seems to agree with wiki.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17462 posts)
"To be fair, I don't think the debt amassed under GWB caused the recession, although it posed obstacles to recovery"

OK, if we had still had Clinton's economy (less debt and no deficit) and all else was the same, would you think this statement still rings true? I think the debt was PART of the cause AND a hindrance to recovery.

Not nearly the hindrance that congress has been though....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
"Yep, and it was a whopping $19 billion more than Bush had asked for in his budget. It included $5.5 billion in earmarks. That didn't exactly account for the deficit in 2009; the recession was the much bigger reason. "

Bush's proposal was for 3.1 trillion. According to wiki " The actual spending signed into law in the final bill was increased by over $400 billion. "

You can give me a source for your $19 Billion.......if you have one.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17462 posts)
" so-called job creators are a cure all for whatever ails you."

Another egregious myth foisted on us to make us feel that their raping of this country's economy was somehow FOR us.

I create nearly 10 times more jobs dollar for dollar than Mittens ever dreamed of. When my gross is $500k and I provide 5 good middle class full time jobs ($30k-$50k per year) in my business to achieve that (half my gross) and his is closer to $500 million gross with 500 good jobs, I out perform him by an order of magnitude-a factor of 10.

Why haven't I gotten more tax breaks to create jobs?

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
Let me fix that for you

"Unsurprising, and correct"

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17462 posts)
Ghost:

"Are we just fuking insane as a society?"

Yes.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7779 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 305   End
TOPIC: Debt and Deficits -- Presidents and Congress