Death Panels Do we need them : Swingers Discussion 219240101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDeath Panels Do we need them
TOPIC: Death Panels Do we need them
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
The twilight of life

First, we need to remember where the term "death panel" came from. The idea had fairly broad support until funding for it was included in Obamacare. Opponents framed it as government bureaucrats pulling the plug on grandma (when it was really about doctors being realistic with patients), and amid a backlash, it was pulled.

That was stupid. These questions demand far more serious discussion.

The fact is, 25% of all Medicare spending goes to the 5% of recipients who die each year --with 80% of that in the last two months of life. This is aggressive spending on things like stays in intensive care and critical care units, which research has shown do not meet the needs and preferences of terminal patients despite its increasing use.

Especially when combined with the growing evidence supporting the benefits of less-expensive, palliative hospice care that allows people to enjoy their last days on this earth in peace at home, not poked, prodded and intubated, floating in and out of consciousness under the fluorescent lights of a $30,000-a-night hospital room.

The popular backlash against death panels gave politicians in Washington reason to fear the topic in general.

But by avoiding the issue, we're choosing to increase the burden on future generations by piling on debt, raising taxes, weakening our defenses, neglecting needed investments and generally damaging the future vitality of the country. This is nothing less than a slow-burn moral disgrace and a reversal of the archetype of parental self-sacrifice and responsibility.

Medicare on the Chopping Block

We can't have it all anymore. Think about that before you feign outrage.

If we're going to truly address the long-term budget problems that threaten the welfare of our children and our children's children, we need to address Medicare and, in particular, end-of-life care -- a topic that's been off limits since Sarah Palin unleashed the debate four years ago.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 49   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Party:

I want to live forever.

I wish to watch humanity grow into the better being that I know it can grow into and shed its fear of the collective whole that the fearful dread.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7587 posts)
LMAO

So you want to live for ever? BAHAHAHAHAHA I got a plan for that.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Party:

I want to live forever.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7587 posts)
Robert....than let me put it this way...at the end of life, it is unwise You want to live to be 150? I don't

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Party:

Not necessarily.

We are learning means of altering gene after conception, who is to say that we will no develop a means of reversing the damage that has occured to the DNA through cell division.

Go back 100 years and tell a man we are on the moon. Go back 1,000 years and tell Rome that we can clone animals. Go back 10,000 years and show our barely clothed ancistors living in cold climates our space suits.

The future is only Hindered by our level of technology and access to resources which become intimate once we can change one element into another by means of transmutation of a solid into energy and energy to a new form of matter.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7587 posts)
If folks here are concerned about overweight folks being a drag on the rest of society logic dictates that they all should be for death panels . why keep old people living on the young's dime ?

Dyer IN
Username hidden
(450 posts)
Robert...extending life begins before conception, at the end of life, it's too late.

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Party:

"having said this, yes, we need to stop spending 2/3rds of the medicare budget in the final six months of life to extend life an average of 2 weeks, and stop treating people for conditions they will die WITH, and not die OF"

If we do this, then I will have to say that our responsibility becomes to dump some if not most of this saved money into research and development of healthcare and other science which will improve the quality of healthcare over all and extend life by years if not decades.

Oh and fix that damned flaw in our genetics which limits our ability to reproduce cells an infinite number of times.... (Shakes fist angrily at the Telomeres for degrading over time.)

ht tp://en.wikipedia.or g/wiki/Telomere

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7587 posts)
There have been death panels for decades...they are staffed by $8 an hour high school dropouts working at private insurance calls centers who look up your policy, and after a few mouse clicks, decide you Mom's condition is pre existing and won't be covered, even though she has been paying her premiums and co pays since 1970. Obamacare will put an END to this having said this, yes, we need to stop spending 2/3rds of the medicare budget in the final six months of life to extend life an average of 2 weeks, and stop treating people for conditions they will die WITH, and not die OF

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
I regret this already...

“I am without means of gaining skills, employers don't waste time training people, period. I have not met an employer who trains employees to do a job that pays medical.”

No, not “period”. Just becaue you haven't met them doesn't mean they don't exist. I, and several other employers in my line of work train the majority of our employees to do their job. We also pay medical while they are learning.

Not a union, not a school, not mom and dad, not the Internet, the employers train them because what they do can only be learned by OJT.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 49   End
TOPIC: Death Panels Do we need them