DNA clears 200th victim : Swingers Discussion 77645
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsDNA clears 200th victim
TOPIC: DNA clears 200th victim
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
A former Army cook who spent nearly 25 years in prison for a rape he did not commit is scheduled today to become the 200th person exonerated by DNA evidence, underscoring the quickening pace of overturned convictions, according to the Innocence Project.

The New York-based legal group says the 100th exoneration occurred in January 2002, 13 years after the first exoneration. It took just more than five years for the number to double.

"Five years ago, people said that the number (of exonerations) was going to dry up because there just weren't many wrongful convictions," said lawyer Barry Scheck, who co-founded the Innocence Project in 1992 to help prisoners prove their innocence through DNA evidence. "But clearly, there are plenty of innocent persons still in prison. There's no way you can look at this data without believing that."

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
Joe,

I concur. The case you are speaking about was David Westerfield who snuck into the home and kidnapped 7 year old Danielle van Dam, later killing her. The Defense Attorney's know he was guilty because they had attempted to use where her body was left by Westerfield as leverage to take the death penalty off the table. The authorities found the body without his help. At the trial the Defense attempted to paint the parents lives as swingers, as being linked to her death. The jury did not buy it and found Westerfield guilty.

I also agree with Perm, Perfect and Lucky that are prison were not meant to be run be the prisoners, with concern for their rights to weight rooms, televisions etc. They should be quasi-military training environments i.e., haircuts, discipline, work crews and education oriented. The only right a prisoner has is the one that society will not beat, abuse or degrade them. Prisons are not meant to be a second home with comforts provided by the taxpayer.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Well Sen I can appreciate that position. I have a less practical reason for supporting the death penalty. It's just fair, if it's applied to people who commit murder. Many cases are proven beyond any shadow of a doubt, many with DNA and some with Video tape. I think the standards should be much tougher when convicting people of 1st degree murder and giving the the death penalty. Circumstantial evidence should never be allowed to send someone to the death chamber. Scott Peterson for example, probably killed his wife, but he should not be sent to the death chamber due to the lack of clear, hard evidence. Although I am not crying any tears for that asshole, there needs to be a standard established. I think the Freedom Project should be expanded and perhaps funded by the Local or even the Federal Government. Scrutinizing the system is the best way to improve it. One of the most satisfying things that I had ever seen was when that child murderer in California, you remember the case because the parents were swingers, was read his sentence and he shook like a leaf. Justice in this world is rare, but when you can witness it, your faith in humanity can be restored.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
So why is it taking so long for these suspected cases to be heard? is the question we should all be asking? How many Nifong's do you suppose are out there?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
I do think that all prisoners should have to work and pay for the cost of their prison stay.

Bridgeport PA
Username hidden
(12773 posts)
This is why I am against the Death Penalty. Not because I think it is cruel or unusual punishment, or that the people that commit these heinous crimes, or that capital punishment is dealt out unequally. I think all those arguments are, at best, weak.

My argument against the death penalty has always been from a pragmatic position, humans make mistakes. I have always believed in the motto "Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer," (jurist William Blackstone).

I think there are reasons (many) to justify sentencing a person to death, but until we have a system that truly ensures that ONLY the person or persons who actually committed the crime are put to death, then I currently cannot support same. Unfortunately, we are human and it is my opinion we may never become that "enlightened" (lol - sorry I could not resist that word).

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
A former Army cook who spent nearly 25 years in prison for a rape he did not commit is scheduled today to become the 200th person exonerated by DNA evidence, underscoring the quickening pace of overturned convictions, according to the Innocence Project.

The New York-based legal group says the 100th exoneration occurred in January 2002, 13 years after the first exoneration. It took just more than five years for the number to double.

"Five years ago, people said that the number (of exonerations) was going to dry up because there just weren't many wrongful convictions," said lawyer Barry Scheck, who co-founded the Innocence Project in 1992 to help prisoners prove their innocence through DNA evidence. "But clearly, there are plenty of innocent persons still in prison. There's no way you can look at this data without believing that."

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: DNA clears 200th victim