Craig : Swingers Discussion 859191041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsCraig
TOPIC: Craig
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Start   41 to 50 of 122   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Sen

"I graduated High School in 1973. Even by that time there was no teacher led school prayer."

I graduated HS in 72 and I don't even remember pray by any means or moment of silence (anything at all) in the class, over intercom or other means. That does not mean it didn't happen. LOL It means I don't remember! However, let me say that I grew up in a little one horse town where everybody knew everybody. In fact, my mother told me last week she was not too worried about me getting in trouble because "it would get back to me" as to what I had done. It was actually two little towns separated by a single railroad track. They each had an elementary school (there was no kindergarden) and one combined HS going from 7-12th grade. We were rated AA at that. Quite frankly we didn't know anything about religious arguments. Nor did we know anything of race relations with blacks and other races.....there just were no other cultures. That being said, there was a prayer lead by the coach before every football or basketball game.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Destin

I don't know if you're speaking of elementary school or beyond in your statement but that is my point. If the prayer was lead over the intercom, that did not provide an exclusion for anyone and subjected the beliefs of the majority (christian) over the minority (other faiths including atheist). Quite frankly back then we didn't even consider it to be a problem. Obviously somewhere along the line, there were parents who considered that to be intrusive on their children.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
StPete,

I graduated High School in 1973. Even by that time there was no teacher led school prayer. Someone would announce over the PA that a moment of silence would be observed. Whatever your denomination you prayed in silence. Kids like me, there were a few were allowed to quietly excuse ourselves and go to the bathroom, just outside into the hallway etc. Those who were religious did not impact on me. It is not a big deal and I am sorry the ACLU makes it out as if our society, namely the right is attempting to institute MANDATORY prayer. That is a bunch of BS. In fact, and in my opinion, rightfully so, several school districts in the Milwaukee, Chicago and California school districts have granted those who practice Islam to leave class, go to their lockers, get their prayer blanket, lay same down in the hallway or a designated room area ON SCHOOL property so they can pray the 5 times a day they believe in. I see nothing wrong with that just like I saw nothing wrong with the Cheerleader in Texas who led a prayer before a football event, but was sued and told in the future she could not. That is just asinine.

As William Wallace in "Braveheart" screamed as he was being emasculated prior to death "FREEDOM!!!!!!"

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Pete, we said the Pledge and listened to the prayer over the schools intecom. Now look at our schools...

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
I'm trying to rememeber way back in grade school, believe me that strains the brain. But is the only probibition solely to prevent the teacher from leading a class in prayer?

The only prayer I remember being said and lead by the teacher was in grade shcool (1-6). The teacher would start every day by saying it was time to say the pledge of alegance and prayer. There was no statement by the teacher that if anyone did not wish to they could step out of the room. It was just done. Our middle school was combined with our high school following the same rules. That was homeroom for 5-10 for roll call and off to classes. There was no pledge or prayer, there was no time.

I'm not advocating either position here but in my grade school days I can see if someone had a different relegion or were atheist they might feel the imposition. But, that being said the children probably did give a shit, we didn't, but the parents may have.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Again the key phrase is

"Congress shall make no law........"

There is NO LAW that says Congress or any other government body or official can or cannot pray. The Congress does so VOLUNTARILY through tradition. There is NO LAW that says you have to pray in school. Making a law that stops pray would be a violation of your rights. It should be left up to the majority at the lowest level whether a moment of silence for prayer is provided in schools, before events, before tests etc. Those who do not wish to participate DO NOT have to.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
"and what is the benefit of prayer in schools, can't that be done at home?" -------------------------------------------------------- I don't know what the benefit is, but if one student thinks that prayer, meditation, a moment of silence (whatever someone calls it) helps them why should they not be able to do so anywhere to include schools. It does not hurt or effect my non-religious beliefs and I also understand the significance of prayer throughout our history. So I say let them pray, during those few moments of silence I will step outside, go to the bathroom, take a power nap, etc.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion to....the right to pray in school is a leap just as large as the right to privacy to abortion.

and what is the benefit of prayer in schools, can't that be done at home?

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
However, I do have deep reservations when courts rule that students can not organize and lead prayer, such as was the case in Texas.

what if a group of students want to form a, the horrors, a muslim prayer group, or a satanic one... keep all religion out of schools..

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
funny the lib's are praying to allah, now that is perverted...damn cowards and traitors.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Start   41 to 50 of 122   End
TOPIC: Craig