Convicted drug lord sues prison over the lack of kosher food : Swingers Discussion 2204481031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsConvicted drug lord sues prison over the lack of kosher food
TOPIC: Convicted drug lord sues prison over the lack of kosher food
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   31 to 40 of 53   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Take Chicago for an example.

The website DNAInfo reports that the rate of unsolved murders in Chicago in 2012 stands at around 75 percent.

According to the reporting in the Sun-Times the homicide clearance rates for the last two years are around 37%.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
You'll never eliminate crime but I believe that the threat of harsh punishment, along with a high risk of being caught is a good deterrent.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
"Hell we should go back to doing it the way we did it in the late 18 and early 19 hundreds."

There's no way that anyone actually thinks that the legal/justice/penal systems of 100+ years ago were any better than they are today, right? Please tell me I'm taking this out of context.

Because if a harsh and inhumane penal system was so great, wouldn't it have deterred more crime back then? Because the history books tell me that crime was been a problem in pretty much every society since the dawn of man.

No punishment (or threat of punishment) has ever deterred the criminally minded from doing criminal things. If it did, crime would have been eliminated well over 2000 years ago.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Just in case you don't trust Wiki

The preservation of human life takes precedence over all the other commandments in Judaism.

The Talmud emphasizes this principle by citing the verse from Leviticus [18:5]: "You shall therefore keep my statutes…which if a man do, he shall live by them." The rabbis add: "That he shall live by them, and not that he shall die by them." (Babylonian Talmud, Yoma 85b)

saving a life When life is involved, all Sabbath laws may be suspended to safeguard the health of the individual, the principle being pikkuah nefesh doheh Shabbat--[rescuing a] life in danger takes precedence over the Sabbath.

One is not merely permitted--one is required to disregard a law that conflicts with life or health. "It is a religious precept to desecrate the Sabbath for any person afflicted with an illness that may prove dangerous; he who is zealous is praiseworthy while he who asks questions sheds blood." (Shulhan Arukh, Orah Hayyim 328:2)

This duty to ignore the law, if necessary, to safeguard health is also stressed in connection with fasting on Yom Kippur. A sick person is obliged to break the fast. Neither the patient nor those attending him need atone when performing such acts that are forbidden under normal circumstances.

In spite of the virtue of observing a fast, it is not virtuous to observe laws at the risk of one's life. Such conduct is regarded as foolish, even as sinful. The Sages described this stubbornness as a "piety of madness." Rabbi Simon Glustrom

Rabbi Simon Glustrom is rabbi emeritus of the Fairlawn Jewish Center in Fairlawn, New Jersey, and a past chairperson of the Rabbinical Assembly's Publications Committee. He is the author of When Your Child Asks: A Handbook for Jewish Parents (Bloch Publishing Co.) and The Myth and Reality of Judaism: 82 Misconceptions Set Straight (Behrman House).

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
Pikuach nefesh From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Judaism, Pikuach Nefesh (Hebrew: ????? ???) describes the principle in Jewish law that the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration. When the life of a specific person is in danger, almost any mitzvah lo ta'aseh (Command to not do an action) of the Torah becomes inapplicable.[1]

Non-kosher food

Non-kosher food may be eaten under the following circumstances:

If no kosher food is available to the person, and failure to eat the non-kosher food may result in starvation. If a non-kosher food product specifically is needed to cure an illness.

If necessary for recovery, a patient may eat non-kosher foods. In the Babylonian Talmud, Chapter 82a of Tractate Yoma mentions pregnancy cravings for non-kosher food (the passage discusses a pregnant woman who craves pork on Yom Kippur) as the paradigmatic example of a presumed life-threatening situation where a person is allowed to eat non-kosher food (and is permitted to eat it on Yom Kippur).

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
Then they should just give them longer prison sentences. I see no benefit for law abiding citizens by making criminals into monsters and then releasing them EARLY.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19367 posts)
"Orthodox Jews cannot eat non Kosher foods. "

Not even for the sake of sustaining life? Are you sure?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
Orthodox Jews cannot eat non Kosher foods.

I'm secular, I eat cock, nightly!

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16539 posts)
I can just imagine if it were a Muslim the Antisemitic pigs would demand that they be served halal meats!

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16539 posts)
"unless the practices compromise security."

Agreed. The gray area of course is if part of the religion includes the consumption of banned substances like Peyote or the sacramental tea (forget what it's called) used in some South American religions that contains a hallucinogenic. I'm not even sure what the laws are in the US for those types of things in prison. Can catholics still drink wine during communion? Can Native Americans smoke some peyote in prison during their religious practices?

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   31 to 40 of 53   End
TOPIC: Convicted drug lord sues prison over the lack of kosher food