Conservative contributions to society : Swingers Discussion 86609
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsConservative contributions to society
TOPIC: Conservative contributions to society
Created by: lustyrocker
Original Starting post for this thread:
I've been accused of being a "liberal" in these forums a lot, with a perjoritive tone that implies the person on the other side of said supposed insult is a conservative. Most people seem to wear the badge of conservative with a lot of pride. Ass the words tend to get thrown about a lot in the "Liberal Media" (Oh, the irony!) I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast these view points. Merriam- Webster:

Main Entry: con·ser·va·tism Pronunciation: k&n-'s&r-v&-"ti-z&m Function: noun 1. capitalized a : the principles and policies of a Conservative party b : the Conservative party 2. a : disposition in politics to preserve what is established b : a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change 3. : the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change

Main Entry: lib·er·al·ism Pronunciation: 'li-b(&-)r&-"li-z&m Function: noun 1. : the quality or state of being liberal 2. a often capitalized : a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b : a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d capitalized : the principles and policies of a Liberal party

I suppose I am a liberal. Fine. Ended slavery, the 40 hour work week, rights for women, the weekend; I could go on. I believe in all of these things. Now, here's my challenge:

Without retreating to their usual vitriolic "liberal" bashing, I'd like these proud conservatives to come up with some concrete examples of conservative contributions to society.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 1 to 10 of 86   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Funny thing is all Coulter does is Lib speak...talk like the libs to and about them and they hate it. Funny funny funny

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Ann Coulter's new book is out! If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

The chapters include:

Airport Security: Make Imans Take Buses

Abortion: Abort Liberals, Not Children

Communism: A New Fragrance By Hillary Clinton

Guns: The Constitutional Right You Can Carry In Your Purse

Hollywood: They Ought to be Committed -- Oops, They Already Are!

Teddy Kennedy: Apparently Fat, Drunk and Stupid a Way to go Through Life

Supreme Court: I Haven't Been Officially Approached as Yet, but Thanks for Asking

For liberals who enjoy exclaiming, "This time, she's gone too far!" the quotes in this book will make that crack about Edwards look like a frosty beer on a hot summer day.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Very good post Sens.

Grantham NH
Username hidden
(1470 posts)
HUH???

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
I also find it interesting and amusing that most of the people who usually say that the media can't get anything right are the first to parrot what that same Media tells us a "Liberal" or a "Conservative" are! Don't crow about the rotten wood if you're going to use it to build your house! Also, and this is my main point: I don't really care if anyone is CONSIDERED a Lib. or Con., merely if , according to an accurate and non- emotional definition, they indeed ARE. Thus, hoping to rise above the party squabbles and decide what these words mean.

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(260 posts)
Sensuous, those are all good points (finally!). Trust that I am going to look into these examples to decide my original question. Until I have I'm going to defend my knowledge of history, however. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT POLITICAL PARTIES. I'm talking about types of politicians and the ideologies that influence thir decisions. I would hypothesize that Eisenhower could, in fact be at least in part, a liberal; according to the definition in the original post. With what he refered to as "Dynamic Conservatism", his role in the civil rights movement, and his warnings against the "military- industrial complex" he seemed to exemplify the values of a limited yet involved government and a fundemental belief in the goodness and capabilities of others.

Chicago IL
Username hidden
(260 posts)
"The Republican party back then was a different animal. Just as the Democrats are different than is WWII." -------------------------------------------------- I agree with that statement. I am a conservative but a registered independent. I have been since 1979. My voting record has crossed both parties and I even once voted for an Independent (1980) and a Libertarian Presidential Candidate (2000).

Getting back on topic, even back during the Civil War, the late 1800s, WWI or WWII Republicans were not seen as Liberals. So the statement that implies Liberals created many of the programs/changes that the originator of this forum makes is false.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
"Slavery was ended under a Republican Administration and the first Civil Rights Legislation was written and introduced by a Republican, Rutherford B. Hayes. President Dwight D. Eisenhower a Republican, authored the Civil Rights Act of 1957. This was the first Civil Rights Act offered since Reconstruction. Under Eisenhower’s order the Civil Rights Commission was established and a Civil Rights Division inside the Justice Department was created."

The Republican party back then was a different animal. Just as the Democrats are different than is WWII.

"Second point is Americans built and improved this country. Not only Democrats or Republicans; Liberals or Conservatives but so did Independents and Libertarians and those who hold no political position."

Ah, some sanity! Thank you

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17350 posts)
we have a picture of the flasher! security cams you know.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
(Reposted due to typo)

From Original Poster Lustyrocker:

"I suppose I am a liberal. Fine. Ended slavery, the 40 hour work week, rights for women, the weekend; I could go on. I believe in all of these things. Now, here's my challenge:

Without retreating to their usual vitriolic "liberal" bashing, I'd like these proud conservatives to come up with some concrete examples of conservative contributions to society." -------------------------------------------------- Slavery was ended under a Republican Administration and the first Civil Rights Legislation was written and introduced by a Republican, Rutherford B. Hayes. President Dwight D. Eisenhower a Republican, authored the Civil Rights Act of 1957. This was the first Civil Rights Act offered since Reconstruction. Under Eisenhower’s order the Civil Rights Commission was established and a Civil Rights Division inside the Justice Department was created.

40 hour work week is a joke. Look at any study and Americans on a whole still work longer and more hours then any other industrial and westernized country in the world. I agree minimum wage was a creation of the Democrats, but I would not brag about it. In it’s inception in 1938 it created unemployment levels nearly twice those that were seen in 1929. Americans who wanted jobs could not accept any wage offered by industry, but could only work for the then new approved government wage. Industry in order to meet the minimum wage requirements to a work force that for example had previously employed 12 men, now only retained 8 men. The problem with minimum wage then, as it is now, is that NO SET wage level creates wealth, it only reflects it. The intentions behind establishing a minimum wage were noble; the results IMO were not.

Jeannette Pickering Rankin, the first women to serve in the House of Representative, and a Republican from Wyoming convinced her fellow Congress to introduce the Nineteenth Amendment. Prior to her being elected she was instrumental in dealing with women's suffrage in various states to include Colorado and Utah.

I could also go on and on……

There are two points. First, know your history before you make claims or take credit for something that Liberals DID NOT do. Second point is Americans built and improved this country. Not only Democrats or Republicans; Liberals or Conservatives but so did Independents and Libertarians and those who hold no political position.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 1 to 10 of 86   End
TOPIC: Conservative contributions to society