Congress, The Aproval ratings are in Not Pretty : Swingers Discussion 788611011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsCongress, The Aproval ratings are in Not Pretty
TOPIC: Congress, The Aproval ratings are in Not Pretty
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 131   End
User Details are only visible to members.
1. the minimum wage increase had nothign to do with the market correction. The correction has been anticipated for along time, I'm shocked it didnt' happen sooner. The market has been over-heated for the last 9 months.

2. raising the minimum wage most certainly causes wage inflation. In places with a "living wage" unemployment goes up.

3. small business is invariably hurt by wage increases and while the increase has been in effect for a month it will take several months to start to see the effects. employment numbers were up the first time in over a month today, however, will all the mortgage lay-offs my educated guess is you will start to see a gradual decline in employment.

I still think congress sucks.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
The papers will not atribute hiring freezes and layoff to the increase, They are not gonna bite the hand that feeds their base, Unions.

Of course not...

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Fewer people signed up for jobless benefits last week, an encouraging sign that most businesses aren't resorting to big layoffs amid a housing slump and the painful credit crunch.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that new applications filed for unemployment insurance dipped by 2,000 to 322,000 for the week ending Aug. 18. It marked the first drop in new claims in roughly a month.

The showing was a bit higher than the 320,000 analysts were forecasting. Still, the level of claims suggested that the employment climate remains in fairly good shape despite problems in housing, tighter credit, and turmoil on Wall Street in recent weeks.

noooo mention of minimum wage :-)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Our annual raise is up in the air right now, not sure but if people continue to kill each other and spills continue I suspect all will get their raises.

The papers will not atribute hiring freezes and layoff to the increase, They are not gonna bite the hand that feeds their base, Unions.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Jack

While what you say may be in fact true the vast majority of people working are not union workers. Most are employed by small business owners which was the point included in my prior post. I doubt seriously if "small business owners" have increased the wages they pay due to the increase in the minimum wage. Therefore, I discount that the minimum wage is the "cause" of a market decline or of layoffs after being in affect for 1 month. Of course that is my opinion.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Lucky

"You asked and I delivered a story on layoffs. 1900 people were laid off St. Pete. And retail stores are in a hiring freeze. And yes Target has and is laying people off. For the first time in 6 years Walmart went from now hiring, to we are accepting applications on the sign out front of their stores. I can only go by what I see St. Pete. And what I have heard from people effected directly."

You delivered quotes from articles concerning layoffs but nothing attributing those layoffs to the "minimum wage" increase at all. Nor did you provide a link in which I or anyone else can see the article for ourselves. All of your quoted articles attribute earnings losses due to credit tightening in the second quarter and lower sales. Any measurable effect due to the minimum wage increase that went into affect July 24th are not even being reported yet as it's only been one month since the increase took affect. All economic reports are based on quarters. Maybe, just maybe Target and Walmart are suffering earnings losses due to all those Chinese products they have been jerking off the shelves??

Besides, I thought you guys said months ago that you knew "no one" that made minimum wage? Now you want to blame a slight downturn in the market (which occurs regularly...the market goes up and down but "trends upward") and layoffs on the minimum wage that you said no one works for. I'm part a small company and we're suffering economically and it has nothing to do with minimum wage, nor has anyone received a raise on their pay due to minimum wage (as all are above that) and I'd bet you have not given anyone a raise in your small business because the minimum wage went up (you may have for someone doing a bang up job) and I doubt if any small business owners frequenting these forums have increased wages due to the minimum wage increase either. I could be wrong but that's what I suspect.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
none of those things has to do with democratic plans, minimum wage included...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
And yet another. Story released after increase in Min wage. Again this is only the begining.

WASHINGTON — The number of newly laid off people signing up for jobless benefits rose last week, suggesting that employment conditions are softening a tad.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that new applications filed for unemployment insurance increased by a seasonally adjusted 7,000 to 316,000 for the week ending Aug. 4. The increase left claims at their highest point since late June.

Economists were predicting claims would be lower, around 310,000 for last week. But claims are still lower now than they were a year ago, when they stood at 319,000.

In other economic news, the back-to-school shopping season had a disappointing start in July as people turned cautious amid turmoil on Wall Street, harder-to-get credit and the worsening housing slump.

Merchants reported sluggish monthly sales results, with the weakest performers being mall-based apparel chains, particularly teen merchants like Pacific Sunwear of California Inc. and Wet Seal Inc. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. , the nation's largest retailer, posted a slim gain but warned that its increased discounting is hurting profit margins.

Consumer spending is a major shaper of overall economic activity. Individuals tightened their belts in the second quarter and are expected to be subdued through the current July-to-September period, analysts said.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
You asked and I delivered a story on layoffs. 1900 people were laid off St. Pete. And retail stores are in a hiring freeze. And yes Target has and is laying people off. For the first time in 6 years Walmart went from now hiring, to we are accepting applications on the sign out front of their stores. I can only go by what I see St. Pete. And what I have heard from people effected directly.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 131   End
TOPIC: Congress, The Aproval ratings are in Not Pretty