Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Chocolate Jesus
TOPIC: Chocolate Jesus
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
A 6-foot chocolate jesus sculpture by Cosimo Cavallaro was to debut Monday evening, four days before Christians mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. The final day of the exhibit at the Lab Gallery inside Manhattan's Roger Smith Hotel was planned for Easter Sunday.

"This is one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever," said Bill Donohue, head of the Catholic League, a watchdog group. "It's not just the ugliness of the portrayal, but the timing - to choose Holy Week is astounding."

The gallery's creative director, Matt Semler, said the Lab and the hotel were overrun with angry telephone calls and e-mails. The gallery was considering its options, he said.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 94   End
User Details are only visible to members.
perf,

i thought u always say e r was the most ignorant..

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Perfect.....to find an apology from JNM one would have to assume that he is at least a decent human being, not the shit house he is.

Miramar FL
Username hidden
(2075 posts)
Look at http: // www DOT msnbc DOT msn DOT com /id /11669242/

“But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display."“

The news reporter writes “Infuriated Christians, including Egan”. The correct comment is it infuriated Egan. The statement INACCURATELY implies or infers ALL Christians!

Then look at http: // abcnews DOT go DOT com /International /story?id=1570095&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

The article is neutral and does not condemn or imply that Muslims were acting improperly, illegally or out of control. The last sentence actually seems to sympathize with them.

…and as JMN and I have debated the Jewish leaders concern with Comedy on American TV were not even covered by the main stream media.

I don’t know how someone cannot see how Christians (and even some non-Christians like me) believe there is an anti-Christian bias from much of the media, even if they believe those that do are misreading the subject matter. I would hope open minded people could see why people perceive the media is biased, on many subjects, regardless whether you read it the same way or agree . Words and how they are formed are powerful tools.

Should not all stories have been reported and all stories been given a neutral presentation of the facts. That is not what is happening.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
"What your post says is that the episode WAS cancelled and that the media said nothiong about this." ------------------------------------------------------- They were canceled after a first showing. If I was not clear on that I apologize. However, I cannot find anything on any news network, INCLUDING FOX which reported this story.

I feel the ADL was within their rights to peacefully "demonstrate" that they were not happy with this show. Mr. Egan also had the right to complain about the Chocolate Jesus. I have no animosity or complaint concerning any religion. any violence carried out by a religion I blame on the specific individuals who pervert same.

What I do find troubling is when you type in Chocolate Jesus you find numerous articles from ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, the AP, the UPI, all which are major news outlets (I ignore the bloggers) writing articles about this and stating in the articles that Mr. Egan or other leaders is representing ALL Christians in their complaint (that is the words used by CNN and the MSNBC writers). It paints ALL Christians as being intolerant with no sense of humor and no sense of artistic expression.

Now, I am NOT aware that the Jewish community controls or owns any of these networks. I believe the only newspaper in American that is currently owned by someone who is Jewish is the NY times and his bias is not based on being Jewish, but in his liberal ideology, just like Rubert Murdock created FOX as a voice for conservatives. It is my experiences having worked in and with Israel Intelligence and the Mossaud that the Jewish people share all kinds of different political beliefs i.e., conservative, liberal, moderate with even a few anarchist that most Jewish people seem to be disgusted with.

Having said that I have reread articles concerning Christians who complain about Art etc, and compared them to Muslims and other religions. The articles either remain neutral or empathic when another religion demonstrates against freedom of expression, or as the Comedy Central Freak Show incident seems to not report it at all. Yet when it is something a Christian or a hand full of Christians complain or state their concerns the article is written as if it is representative of ALL Christians. I find that to be media bias against Christians.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
They aired once and were not repeated. Comedy Central did decide NOT to repeat them which they do with there other shows.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Even though I received this information in a Justice Department mailing it took me only minutes to find it on the internet:

Again go to http : // www DOT adl DOT org /education / then scroll to the bottom. Click on search and type in Freak Show.

Your still an idiot!

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
ADL's letter to Comedy Central statinfg concerns with the show: ------------------------------------------------------------ November 30, 2006

Dear Mr. Herzog:

We have received many messages of concern about the "Freak Show" season finale "Mohel-Me-Not," which aired on Comedy Central in two parts on November 9 and 16.

After watching the episodes, we can understand why this was found to be offensive in its depiction of Jews. At seemingly every opportunity, the show calls up age-old stereotypes of Jews: controlling the banks, plotting to take over the world, men with black hats and beards meeting conspiratorially. The show is rife with Jewish religious imagery -- Jewish stars, menorahs and other religious symbols appear throughout; yet Jewish religious traditions and practices are cynically mocked and skewered – including the circumcision ceremony, or bris – to the point where they are treated with utter contempt. It is as if the show's creators were intent on mining traditional Jewish religious ceremonies and practices for their laugh value.

The end result is a deeply cynical and unfunny attempt to mock serious religious traditions and practices, while casting them in the worst possible light. The circumcision ceremony for Primi, for example, shows a rabbi using his mouth to suck blood from the wound, hinting at a real tradition still practiced by few fervently religious Jews, while more blatantly suggesting oral sex. While other faiths are also briefly parodied, Jews and their traditional religious practices are the primary and overwhelming focus.

Though we understand the genre of animation comedy and appreciate that the intent here is to make fun of stereotypes by employing them in outrageous scenarios, we are concerned that such depictions may have unintended consequences. Our polling suggests that nearly 35 million Americans, or 14 percent of the population, hold views that are "unquestionably anti-Semitic." We are concerned that shows of this nature may reinforce bigoted ideas among those already infected with them. Moreover, the show's references to actual religious practices such as the bris may, for the uninitiated, serve as their only real exposure to Jewish traditions, leaving them with an impression of Judaism as a bizarre, and even grotesque, religion.

We hope that you will not air these episodes again in the future.

Sincerely,

Abraham H. Foxman National Director

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Comedy Central's Letter to the ADL released to the Media (but no one seems to have reported it) concerning the show: ------------------------------------------------------------- December 12, 2006 To: Abraham H. Foxman National Director Anti-Defamation League New York, NY

Dear Mr. Foxman:

We appreciate your getting in touch with us and expressing your concerns regarding the season finale of “Freak Show.”

As a comedy network, it is our foremost intention to entertain and not to offend. We take your concerns very seriously and have asked the creators of the show, David Cross and H. Jon Benjamin, to offer their views on this matter. David and Jon are both of Jewish descent and were raised as Jews, but are generally skeptical of religious fundamentalism in any form. When they first read about the ritual alluded to in these episodes, both felt that although it was an obscure rite, it was the kind of thing that cast all of Judaism in a negative light and reinforced negative stereotypes among the “uninitiated,” to borrow a term from your letter. To illustrate this, they decided to use the ritual as a jumping off point to make fun of ridiculous stereotypes about Jews.

COMEDY CENTRAL prides itself on being balanced in its satire and not singling out any particular group. We’d like to point out that although the first of the two episodes focuses predominantly on Judaism, both episodes also poke fun at Mormonism, Scientology, Islam, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Catholicism and, to a large degree, evangelism.

You stated in your letter that depictions of Jewish religious practices in this episode could have unintended consequences for those unfamiliar with Judaism. Please know that our audience is generally well-educated and watch COMEDY CENTRAL for the humor and satire we present in such programming as “South Park,” “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report.” We do not feel that the fear of increased anti-Semitism among the already-ignorant is a valid reason for stifling satire.

Thank you again for making us aware of your concerns and we are always open to hearing the views of our audience.

Sincerely,

Tony Fox Executive Vice President Corporate Communications COMEDY CENTRAL

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
As I said before, I had never heard of the Freak Show until I read about it in the Department of Justice and FBI bulletins I subscribe to. The articles have to do with what is hate speech and it's constitution limits. The internet has little on the incident, but a few blogs and the Comedy Central website does have a release. You can also find a very short comment on it on the ADL website. On the main page go to the bottom, type in "Freak Show" and three comments will appear.

Now go back through ALL the past post and provide references NOT blogs to all the questions you have been asked. It will probably take you several months to do same. Hater!

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Not killed by Americans, killed by fanatics set on destruction. We are not the ones killing Iraqis JNM AQ Iran , and syria are doing that. And if we werent there it will continue in Mass.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 94   End
TOPIC: Chocolate Jesus