Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   61 to 70 of 84   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Before I started this thread, I thought very long and hard. A close friend who cares about me put it best: "Don't do it Laurie, unless you can take the pain. Make sure you are thick skinned enough to face an onslought now about your parenting and/or passive agressive jabs at you in the future."........" -------------------------------------------- LW,

Has someone insulted either through innuendo or direct comment? What you shared was precise, to the point, a non-attack against any specific poster and more importantly, an informed and well though out position. I have no problem if someone wants to disagree with your view and even how you approached the differing stages of dealing with your loved one. If anyone has attacked your parenting or you personally, they are an idiot and should have a "heavy toed boot" kicked into and shoved up their ass.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
What many folks dont realize is many times, mental illness doesnt show till late teens, early 20s. By then most folks semi on their own. Folks in the mist of mental illness, usually dont understand it, and cant help themselves. Also it is a proven fact that the human brain is not fully formed till almost mid 20s. There is no answer as of now. Just many folks advocating to make things better. There is no shame in mental illness, it could knock on anyone's door at any age.

Very good post Joan .

What scares me is the medication they give to young adults. I lost count on how many of my children's friends were on some sort of anti depressant. "Oh what are you on" was a common question. A few who received it should have never had it prescribed . I think they have gone overboard medicating kids. The screening process should be more tougher.

My girlfriend is having a hell of a time getting her son into a mental health clinic. Her insurance will not cover it. This boy needs it so bad. If he doesnt get the help he needs, she is sure he will commit suicide. She is not a poor person nor is she wealthy. To see a parent stuck between a rock an a hard place is heartbreaking. Does Obamas "healthcare" proposal include mental health as well?

Augusta NJ
Username hidden
(16055 posts)
If I may...

As many of you know, I am a trained therapist. I have a BA in Social Work, a MSW, and one year of doctoral study in Social Work.

I also have a history of mental issues in my family.

And here is my major problem (failing might be a better word), one that I think is shared by many people.

Intellectually, I understand mental illness in it's various forms, treatments, prognosis, etc. Probably better than most.

However, not having suffered myself, I have a very difficult time understanding from a practical level.

Why can't people just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps?"

"I know a dozen people who have it much worse that you do. Just suck it up."

"Everybody gets a little depressed now and then. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and things will get better..."

I have been out of the therapy biz for over 5 years now, and it is probably a good thing. Not that I did or would ever say anything to my patients like this, but I think this attitude is much more prevalent than we realize...

This is the issue that really drew me to therapy in the first place. How can people with "all of the advantages" turn out so dysfunctional? And the converse, how can people who have suffered deprivation or horrific abuse turn out just fine? How can people who, by outside appearances, have experienced basically the same things turn out so differently? But I found out that while this things interest me, day to day therapy is not for me...

I hope I explained myself OK.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17438 posts)
LW, thanks for sharing something so personal, I can realize how difficult it was to bare someting such as this. We can all learn from it.

Best of luck to you, your family and friends....

Chilton WI
Username hidden
(546 posts)
Average 1 out of 100 have some form of epilepsy and the Autism rates have skyrocketed. Life isnt always as easy as it may seem* Thats why we try to do it together to give each other strenght. Or thats how some are*

Mantoloking NJ
Username hidden
(7757 posts)
Sorry to hear* What many folks dont realize is many times, mental illness doesnt show till late teens, early 20s. By then most folks semi on their own. Folks in the mist of mental illness, usually dont understand it, and cant help themselves. Also it is a proven fact that the human brain is not fully formed till almost mid 20s. There is no answer as of now. Just many folks advocating to make things better. There is no shame in mental illness, it could knock on anyones door at any age.

I wish you all well* joan*

Mantoloking NJ
Username hidden
(7757 posts)
Before I started this thread, I thought very long and hard. A close friend who cares about me put it best: "Don't do it Laurie, unless you can take the pain. Make sure you are thick skinned enough to face an onslought now about your parenting and/or passive agressive jabs at you in the future." My response was that I'd lived with the stigma about mental health ofr well over two decades. I've lived with people's denial of how prevalent it is, the struggle to get care, the feeling of being alone and isolated in the experience, the judgements and the own personal feeling of "I'm a mother, I'm supposed to be able to fix everything". I felt if one person gained more awareness or if one person felt less alone, it was worth it to me. What has happened from the postings in here and feedback I've received in private has been nothing but comforting and encouraging. I hope it has to others living with this in their life. If anyone thinks they don't have it in their life, I'll start with some statistics from the National Institute of Mental Health/National Institute of Health: The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America Describes statistics about mental disorders.

Mental Disorders in America Mood Disorders Major Depressive Disorder Dysthymic Disorder Bipolar Disorder Suicide Schizophrenia Anxiety Disorders Panic Disorder Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Social Phobia Agoraphobia Specific Phobia Eating Disorders Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Autism Personality Disorders Antisocial Personality Disorder Avoidant Personality Disorder Borderline Personality Disorder For More Information References Mental Disorders in America Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.1 When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.2 Even though mental disorders are widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion — about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 — who suffer from a serious mental illness.1 In addition, mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada.3 Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. Nearly half (45 percent) of those with any mental disorder meet criteria for 2 or more disorders, with severity strongly related to comorbidity.1

In the U.S., mental disorders are diagnosed based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV).4

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
Ladywife, you are truly a remarkable, strong and wonderful woman and mother. To share a story of such a struggle and love is truly commendable. For those who are looking for answers, guess they would have to live through a story like yours to understand sometimes there aren't any answers.

Jan

Jerome PA
Username hidden
(12139 posts)
LW, you are a genuine person. You put yourself out there. I respect that very, very much. Yes, mental illness touches almost everyone. I never knew my great-grandmother or my grandfather. My great-grandmother on my father's side was "crazy"...this is what people in Coweta Co., Georgia called depressed people in the 30s. She was put into an institution after his birth and noone knows what became of her. In those days they just went away. My grandfather had severe mental illness, he would "faint". And he was a very abusive man, he left my father, his mother and siblings one day. He went to cash his check....they never saw him again. My father has less (it has tended to "lessen" in severity with each generation) but has been an alcoholic or drug addict since I can remember...like others said, like so many...he treats his pain with alcohol vs. seeing a doctor. To this day he drinks alone and barely leaves his home. I have had my share of issues...but with me it was mostly anger with my family. You are a brave lady. I do see your point. I think there is just such outrage over such a senseless crime, it has people emotionally fired up. I do thank you for being strong enough to be so vulnerable. That is an amazing trait, the ability to show your own weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
I am speechless by the courage it must have taken to write this story and in awe of the two people who have not only had to endure pain I cannot imagine, but have seemed to persevere in finding some happiness in their lives evidenced by smiling faces in their pictures. God bless you both.

Apollo PA
Username hidden
(753 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   61 to 70 of 84   End
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies