Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies : Swingers Discussion 1738881051
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsAwareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   51 to 60 of 84   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Me too. I have a lot of thoughts on it. But until then, I will just share these two. What an outstanding young lady and what an outstanding mother for them both to share.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
I do think it harder on boys for many reasons. The thing is, once you are dx at least you can get help, tools to do better. If you saw them lol youd never know and we are lucky it is rare he has issues but... we are working on him. He did complete his Fireman school and is now a volunteer Fireman, THAT makes him happy : )

joan*

Mantoloking NJ
Username hidden
(7752 posts)
The law in NJ is IF they are seizure free 6 months they can drive. My son can drive but chooses not to. My daughter does drive but we keep her local.

My mantra is .. its not the best and its not the worst. They both do ok, but I find it so cruel. Puberty hard enough without adding this ch*t.

I just know how hard it is and I understand folks that struggle. Maybe that is another reason I try and be so nice to everyone. That and I was rasied to be a Nun till I was 16 lol

My son on one med and does ok with it. My daughter coming off her last med. If she does well till Jan, she will be med free then. THAT the day I live for lol Meds do help but they also come with their own issues. The diet has been a lifesaver for my daughter, my son has no interest in it.

They will have pretty normal lives but stress will always effect them, differently than other folks.

If you youtube epilepsy and me.... My daughter did a series of vids before and after the diet. She is a huge advocate for epilespy. My son says it has ruined his life. We are working on him : )

Joan*

Mantoloking NJ
Username hidden
(7752 posts)
Both my kids were healthy as horses. NO cavities, no strep. ZIP health issues. Folks would wonder how these kids never got sick. Fast fowrad to puberty, my son has a seizure. We figure its a fluke and continue. 2 weeks later he has another one. He is hospitalized and dx as a genetic epileptic. We have no E in the family and are shocked. We figure ok its not the best its not the worst either. We ask about his younger sister, Drs say NOPE one Mom never has 2 of these kids.. Well... put me in the World Book of Records as fast foward to 13 and my daughter has the same issues. Im not a passive person : ) so I did everything I could to get them back to non seizure state. My daughter on an experimental diet and she has been seizures free almost 18 months.

Now at 18 & 21 they are dealing with depression, insomnia that comes along with E. Its very hard to watch happy healthy children go his route.

I know I open myself to alot. But it is more important to open up to those receptive than to those that would use this info against you.

Never say never, you never know what the future holds for you or yours!

I am sorry for everyones hardship bu it reminds me there is more that makes us alike than makes us different.

Enjoy the day joan*

Mantoloking NJ
Username hidden
(7752 posts)
I have one cousin that has mild retardation, another that was recluse for 5 years after her husban killed himself. My mother is starting to get 'forgetfull' at 76. That's all the mental illness that I know of in my family. My family consists of over 100 people counting only to first cousins.

I'll have to remember to count this in my blessings next time I say a prayer.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16724 posts)
Thrillz, if anyone knows what it took to write that, it's me. You had me in tears when I read it. Here's what my family and I want people to know or understand. It's a very small laundry list that will likely grow.

Medical, Social Services, Law Enforcement, Schools and so on and so on have no friggen clue what to do well enough. It's time they do.

Much of this is physiological in origin.

No, it isn't always, but can be, about the parents.

MENTALLY DISORDERED PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE TOO!

The likelihood of a mental disorder is higher in the well above average intelligence. So don't treat them like they're stupid.

I'm sure I'll have more.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
Oh thanks Sens. You know, for us, we've made our peace with this. That includes Sara, hopefully. One of the very great dangers in many mental disorders is the person begins to feel a lot better and then decides they don't need their meds anymore. Sara's done this many times. It's not just a situation of their symptoms come back full force. Additional symptoms happen from sudden withdrawal of the meds.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
Thanks for sharing. When reading these types of post, it really puts life in a more complete perspective. You have our thoughts and respect in facing life's difficult and very personal road blocks and journeys.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Bump. I promised my mentally ill daughter yesterday I would do this. I actually never intended to let it die out so soon. But I had several things in my personal life, including being very busy, that caused me to leave it be. Anyhow, I was talking to her about a good friend from back home's 13 year old daughter just getting diagnosed with two conditions in tandem with each other and some other friends' problems with the way the system can treat those with mental disorders. In a very healthy way she went on quite the rant. She said "Mom, you and others need to get more outspoken. The way the mentally ill are treated in this country and almost all countries is abhorrent."

I told Sara, I knew that was true. But that it is so hard to speak out. That considering just how prevalent the variety of mental health disorders are, there is such a stigma attached to it, the overwhelming majority of the population won't even admit that it exists anywhere in their circle of friends or family. Even though statistics clearly show that's unlikely to be true. In my family I have a daughter and a first cousin. I also have a late aunt and two late cousins who were mentally ill. Big family so still in keeping with statistical averages. I have an aunt with ALZ. I have another cousin with severe mental retardation. Bacchus has a cousin who has fibromyalgia (?) and her extreme pain can cause some psychological manifestations as well. Amongst my widest circle of friends I can count 6 with moderate to severe disorders that we are aware of. Jim and I are "Average Joe" mainstream Americans. Therefore, this is reality for far more people than just us.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
No Sensuous, nothing direct. If there's been innuendo I haven't seen it anywhere. That or I've chose not to attempt to read into things when I'm not a mind reader. There was several things over a short course of time which made me ponder if there was any good to be had in posting something and which caused me to have the conversation with a friend. But it would have been in Open Forum and much less personal. Following the tragedy in AZ, some things in the thread caused me to take the plunge and decide to get much more specific and personal. I sincerely hoped many of us could provide insight and comfort and seek answers. So I'm not going to get any more specific about what inspired me. A fight was the last thing I was looking for. Besides, it is perfectly okay for people to disagree with me. If I had all the answers, maybe my daughter would be a healthier 36 year old. As it is we have been told that currently there is no known "cure" for a sociopath. Only things which help manage the disorder. So all I can do is share and maybe it helps others and me. Tbrs made some very honest statements which demonstrate the frustrations even a professional can encounter. Sometimes you do want to say "Pull yourself up, you can make a choice to not be or live this way". The problem is that's rational thinking about a person who doesn't have normal reason. I remember getting livid with a psychiatrist who slammed it into my head. Sara was about a month into her first commitment. I would rush home from work, throw whatever on the kitchen table for Jim and the other 4 kids and rush out to the hospital. Then I'd get home with barely time to see them before they went to bed. One night when I got to the locked ward I was refused admittance until Dr. C spoke with me. Just the basic hospital fee was over $800 a day so I was quite indignant that for that amount of money, I was being ordered about like that. The doctor told me I was wrapping myself in my daughter's illness and that she'd already figured out how to use that as emotional blackmail on me. He stated I hadn't caused it and I couldn't cure it. He pointed out I had a wonderful marriage, four healthy and excelling children and a successfull career. Then he asked me if I wanted to sacrifice them for Sara or understand we needed to be there for her but not destroy ourselves with it.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   51 to 60 of 84   End
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies