Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies : Swingers Discussion 1738881041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsAwareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   41 to 50 of 84   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Brain damage can come in many forms: genetic, trauma, illness. I read this last week and found it very interesting*

Dave Duerson, a two-time Super Bowl champion with the Chicago Bears and New York Giants, tragically chose to take his own life last week.

But when the 50-year-old former NFL safety and successful entrepreneur shot himself in the chest, there was another purpose: so that his brain could be donated to Boston University researchers and studied to assess the life-long neurological effects of playing in the National Football League.

For sure, it has been an incredibly enlightening year in the NFL with regards to the present-day and long-term consequences of concussions and similar traumatic brain injuries caused on the gridiron. Duerson, cognizant of and confident that he was suffering from the effects of chronic traumatic encephalopathy — a debilitating brain injury that has stricken many current and former football players, from college to the pros — texted family members only hours before taking his own life, imploring them to have his brain donated to those who can study it for evidence of the condition.

In fact, when police arrived at Duerson’s apartment, they found a hand-written note: “PLEASE, SEE THAT MY BRAIN IS GIVEN TO THE NFL’S BRAIN BANK.”

More specifically, that would be the team headed by Chris Nowinski, co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University’s School of Medicine. Last April, after years of denials and side-stepping on the effects of concussions on football players, the NFL finally ponied up $1 million to the center in the hopes of accelerating research into a condition that was long associated with punch-drunk ex-boxers. More recently, CTE has been connected to athletes ranging from 21-year-old college football stars to baseball great Lou Gehrig.

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
On a side note, Funlady. Odd I've never considered us all that different politically. I'm a conservative republican but don't think of myself as extremely right wing. The only thing that comes to my mind where I've had extremely different views from you were specific topics regarding race. It doesn't mean I don't respect your right to have those views.

Saint Augustine FL

Username hidden
(12558 posts)
Tbrs, that was some post. I admire the resilience you must have had to survive reasonably intact. Thanks so much for sharing about yourself and siblings. I know in our family, Jim and I felt like we were in a constant balancing act trying to balance the needs of the "normal" ones with the "ill" one. We wanted Sara in full interaction of all things family. But also had to be very protective of the other kids too. As I've stated, part of her illness includes behavior specifically thought out for the purpose of fear, intimidation and thereby control. I can't imagine what it would be where it was the parent and no one to protect you. Which brings me back to Funlady. Thank you truly for your thoughts. Our children all have varying degrees of faith and doctrine to include belief in abortion. The child and spouse with the momos are of deep Christian faith. In general, they do not agree with abortion. But they are intelligent, educated and realistic. We are told everything is being done to bring these babies into the world healthy but that it is all a step at a time and that their belief tells them that it will be what it will be. They will have the best of the care needed but know that it may not be meant to be and they will find their peace with that as needed. They are aware I do not believe in abortion. However, they also know that we are 100% behind them and the decisions it's only their right to make with their medical team. My job is to love, listen and as this progresses get on an airplane and cook, clean, run errands and everything else necessary in rotation with other close friends and family members. But knowing we have the potential of "special needs" grandchildren coming to our family brings me back to the worries I've had about our own daughter and other's with less than perfect brains and mentality. As a society, we tend to assign values on people. I worry constantly on the value placed on the mentally ill and all others with disorders which affect their personalities no matter how physiological in origin.

Saint Augustine FL

Username hidden
(12558 posts)
Bacc, I do know of the condition, but have never seen it. I have seen twin/ twin transfusion with varied results. First off, I hope for only the best for the entire family. Second, my specialty is anesthesia, not OB, so my knowledge on the subject is limited to OB rotations many years ago. The abortion of any fetus is a difficult decision, to selectively abort has got to be the worst decision any parent could ever face. There will be "what if " going through their mind for the rest of their lives. It sounds like she is being followed by a good high risk OB/GYN. With the quality of ultrasound that is available today, subtle changes can be detected that could not be detected just a few years ago. I think if I were the parent, If I was told there was any form of defect noted in one fetus, or if it looked like there was a size difference that was dramatic, elective abortion of the "weaker" would have to be discussed. The stress that will be put upon their marriage is going to be horrid if there is any disagreement about how to proceed. I think that if they should go to counseling together if either wishes to think about selective abortion. I would not think "faith based counseling " is the direction to go here. Even as a Christian, I have to sometimes look at things differently. I would be afraid that the faith based person would try to influence their decision based upon "God's will". In a situation like that, you have to accept that ANY intervention changing the course of Nature is playing God. I hope she does well. Though we may be from different political views, I can tell by your posts you are a compassionate person. She will need a lot of support, and I believe from what I have read of your posts, you will be there as much as possible.

Mentone AL

Username hidden
(2281 posts)
Well speaking of outing...since I'm on a roll I am going to jump a few posts. But I will go back. I've been working and just coming in and out. Just a small piece of FunLady's post: " Medically, we have been able to save more and more premature infants, and many of these never develop mentally or physically to the point of self sufficiency." Well, our family is facing this possibility right now. One of our children have very high risk twins expected. If anyone has an interest; search Momo twins. Funlady, even with neonatal experience, whatever their level may not know. They are so rare, many perinatalogists have no experience. They comprise ONE percent of all twin births. NOT 1 % of all births, 1% of twins. In a nutshell for those without the leasure time for searching nor interest, in a nutshell, they are identical twins in one outer membraine (chorionic) one amniotic sac and one placenta. Cord entanglement is a given. Cord compression and or twin to twin transfusion syndrome at least 50 %. It is already scheduled their mother will enter the hospital at 24 weeks and best case scenario is they will be taken at 34 weeks. They will certainly spend at least some time in NECU. They may have birth defects which could well include retardation, etc. If they make it past the 50/50 presumed mortality rate. Their parents were offered selective reduction which would significantly reduce the risk to the remaining twin. My child sat on the phone with me saying " gee Mom, is that like the child's daisy game of picking petals to you get to the last one. Do we stare at the ultrasound and do that and see if it lands on Baby A or Baby B? " Should they do that because otherwise could be a drain on society? Could you? Any you. I don't mean that for just Funlady.

Saint Augustine FL

Username hidden
(12558 posts)
Wow, where to start with these posts. Well other than the obvious is to make sure I state again that I have no professional expertise whatsoever. I'm just someone who gets to live it trying to share and let others know there's many of us out there. Guess I'll start at the first post instead of backwards. This is going to take me most of the night!

"A lot of the people I work with, their families have given up on them. And the saddest part is they don't know 'why' or some of them don't realize it at all. It is great to see these loving families being there for each other :)"

Shibby, I'll try to give you some insight strictly from my perspective and the illnesses we deal with. Sometimes we've had to step away. Because no matter what we did or were told to do, it wasn't helping. Part of our daughter's disorder is a desire to control, shock, disrupt and manipulate. Sometimes, but not frequently, those desires include physical harm. The mental harm can be worse. Some times families step away, because they are not able to help the patient but they need to protect and regroup their own strngth and energy and resources. Twice in as many years, we've postponed visits scheduled with Sara. But we've gotton back on track and so did she. I visit with her when she is off meds and severely escalating is seldom productive.

My cousin in a criminla mentla health facility tried to kill his wife with an axe in a psychotic moment. After she saw him all the way through trial and seen insane, she left and moved back to where she was from. She only sees him about once a year. It's how she survives mentally.

Saint Augustine FL

Username hidden
(12558 posts)
Thank you Shibby and LW. Im keeping them, Im happy with them. Warts and all : )

She is so pro E its borderline a PIA. She feels no shame and is happy to educate everyone. I am grateful for that. Her brother, does not talk about it. Doesnt tell anyone. He is not a happy camper.. yet : ) We are working on him* He will get there*

joan*

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
I am so sorry for your childhood. It had to be horrendus and NOT the way childgood is supposed to be. It is wonderful that you resolved your issues and evolved to a better, healthier person. Im not sure everyone capable of it.

There is alot of thought that goes into it. I have 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters. All younger than I. I rasied my kids to know, understnad and appreciate. They are involved in a family business. I recall as babies raising my kids to tend/care for their cousins. That the reason we all had these kids was so when we passed they had a family. I feel secure "our" kids will look after each other. I always say its not the best and its not the wirst as my kids will be self sufficent. They may have medical issues at times, but they will go to COllege and have their own lives. I still have to wonder what would be IF E never entered their lives.

I grew up in a rough home. Made me tough and resilent. I raised my much differently. I think we all try and do better than our parents did.

I wish you all well. This was not a sob story.. we are fine* just a story to add for those to think of illnesses that are out of somes' control.

joan*

Mantoloking NJ

Username hidden
(7752 posts)
The next major crisis we will face from a demographic / health care status after the aging of the baby boom will have to do with mental illness and to a much larger extent mental retardation. Many of the large "state schools" were closed or reduced in size back in the 80's. The move to community based education and home care has been good for the patient or child in most instances. Medically, we have been able to save more and more premature infants, and many of these never develop mentally or physically to the point of self sufficiency. As their "baby boomer" parents age and reach the point of not being able to care for them, what the Hell are we as a country going to do ? It makes me think back to my training days. I remember talking with the Neonatology attending after we had just done a bowel resection on an 800 gram neonate who was just a few days post heart surgery. I was commenting about how great it was that we could do these types of surgeries and were saving these 26 to 28 week gestation age neonates. He very quickly told me " Son, before we start patting our self on the back, lets see how these kids do in first grade." Secretary Powell used the Pottery Barn example for Iraq. We can change that a bit to "we fixed it, now we own it. " This is in no way a values or ethics statement. I am only speaking of the pure financial and logistics that have most likely not been planned for.

Mentone AL

Username hidden
(2281 posts)
I want to bring in another point touched on by April.

I spent my childhood as the son of a seriously depressed mother and a paranoid schizophrenic father.

Unless you have been there, one can not imagine the terror my sisters and I went through growing up. Our father (I think intentionally) moved us across the country, so there was no support system except them, and my mother wasn't there at all, and my father reveled in keeping everyone on their toes, so to speak.

I spent the better part of 20 years trying to come to some equilibrium. My younger sister still has not. And my older sister is functional, kinda.

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17342 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   41 to 50 of 84   End
TOPIC: Awareness of Mental Illness OR WTF Do We DO With The Crazies