An unusual poll regarding perceptions of racism : Swingers Discussion 224635
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsAn unusual poll regarding perceptions of racism
TOPIC: An unusual poll regarding perceptions of racism
Created by: vabeachcouple33
Original Starting post for this thread:
I saw this and found it to be quite unusual and unexpected, especially how blacks consider themselves to be the most racist people. From a Rasmussen telephone survey. Mostly C&P'd with paring it down for length.

Americans consider blacks more likely to be racist than whites and Hispanics in this country.

37% of American Adults think most black Americans are racist. 15% consider most white Americans racist. 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

There is a huge ideological difference on this topic. Among conservative Americans, 49% consider most blacks racist, and only 12% see most whites that way. Among liberal voters, 27% see most white Americans as racist, and 21% say the same about black Americans.

From a partisan perspective- 49% of Republicans see most black Americans as racist, along with 36% of unaffiliated adults and 29% of Democrats.

Among black Americans- 31% think most blacks are racist 24% consider most whites racist 15% view most Hispanics that way.

Among white Americans- 10% think most white Americans are racist 38% believe most blacks are racist 17% say most Hispanics are racist.

Overall, just 30% of all Americans now rate race relations in the United States as good or excellent. Fourteen percent (14%) describe them as poor. Twenty-nine percent (29%) think race relations are getting better, while 32% believe they are getting worse. Thirty-five percent (35%) feel they are staying about the same.

These figures reflect more pessimism than was found in April when 42% gave race relations positive marks and 39% said race relations were improving. However, the April number reflected all-time highs while the current numbers are more consistent with the general attitudes of recent years.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 92   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Forgot what I was going to say, I got distracted by a red nightie....

Blythe GA
Username hidden
(250 posts)
Just...strangely..I believe you for once In fact, I have no doubt that most poor, uneducated unemployed or underemployed Black folks are in fact a notch or two above you both intellectually and financially, and thus from your perspective, the playing filed has indeed been equal for decades

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
Thats bull shit PP We people all of us black and white have been on the same playing field for Decades, It is the ones who use the excuses of My mama mama mama grandma was a slave and Im owed everything, Also the Tempo has changed 100% ever since your POTUS Took office,,Oh and Yea I do have allot of black friends,,And they are tired of all these useless cry baby's always complaining that they are not getting their fair share,,, Like they say and they all have great jobs nice homes boats cars,,Its called get a fucking job and work for the stuff you need and want out of life.

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4836 posts)
that dog don't hunt no more. Is that a quote from the minutes of your last MENSA meeting? (sarcasm) Actually, the people I hear complaints of "racism" from the most are white people who are scared shirtless of an even and level racial, gender and orientation playing field.

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
Isn't it funny how over the last few years it is the ultra Liberal whites that keep screemimg racism. Give it a rest guys,,, that dog don't hunt no more.

Winterville NC
Username hidden
(573 posts)
MIckEy hAs MaNy BlaCk FriEnds....LOL

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
Racism stays with us because people will not drop it, I mean come on People we have a black POTUS,, I have many black friends and I never ever hear them spew one racial word, But I will say and Please be honest you all and tell me? I have seen many many more people lean towards racism every since the first day OBAMASS Took office.

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4836 posts)
Methinks you are too harsh on academics who use, and more importantly are invited to use media to showcase their expertise. When Stokely Carmichael first raised the issue, it was heard by a handful of people and ignored by most. When Dyson, Harris-Perry and others elaborate on it in the media, it is heard by millions. Still, this is not a media phenomenon or media induced concept. As has been pointed out, this is in fact a universally accepted academic truth taught in virtually all social science venue. It is that, and the common sense associated with the statement, on which I base my opinion.

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
"There are those who use the broad definition of the term "racist" in order to equate the effort to battle racism, with racism itself."

Normally I don't give two shits about labels; they usually indicate a simplistic or superficial form of mental laziness. But I understand the visceral power of the "racist" label, and therefore understand why people place value on tagging others with it, or defending themselves from such tagging. 

That said, it seems to me that if white conservatives try to label blacks as racists merely for promoting policies beneficial to black Americans, the better way to defend those charges would be with logical arguments that they don't fit the definition of racist. Not, by simply changing the definition when it suits their purpose. 

Intellectual consistency and honesty are hallmarks of true scholars; talking heads and media gadflies are more interested in the expediency of a glib line that sounds good but doesn't stand up to the kind of rigorous critical analysis that is easily avoidable in a two-minute TV segment. And yes, that shoe fits Dyson pretty damn well, notwithstanding that he might in his past have occasionally tried on a pair of sensible shoes too. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Fun...Some of your points are sound and valid. Again, my comment on the empowerment requirement was actually just a sidebar, but from an esoteric perspective, I feel it is an important one....here's why There are those who use the broad definition of the term "racist" in order to equate the effort to battle racism, with racism itself. Some would have us believe that calling out Racism and mentioning that it came from a white person, is in fact, racism itself. They would have us believe charities that focus on traditionally Black institutions are "racist". They would even have us believe that any claim of "racism", is "racism" These are all of course, total nonsense. "Racist" is not the only term in which this is the case. There are those who tell us that anti bullying laws are in fact, a form of "bullying" There are those who tell us that "hate crime" legislation is in fact, a "hate crime" It's all a weak and invalid attempt to justify ones own negative behavior by turning back the blame on the victim and claiming the assailent is a victim as well THIS is why a universal consensus of Academia, and race scholars from Carmichael, to Dyson, to Harris-Perry are so diligent about preserving and propagating the fact that indeed, in the most true and practical sense of the term, one must be able to facilitate race based discrimination in order to be truly "racist".

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 92   End
TOPIC: An unusual poll regarding perceptions of racism