Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics An inconvenient truth
TOPIC: An inconvenient truth
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 196   End
User Details are only visible to members.
AL'S WARMING LIES & THE REAL 'INCONVENIENT TRUTH' By IAIN MURRAY March 22, 2007 -- AL Gore was born and spent most of his life in Washington, D.C. Yesterday, he returned to the fever swamp to show he's forgotten none of his old political tricks.

Addressing the House and Senate on global warming, he put forth a litany of half-truths that he twisted into a morality tale. But the facts tell a different story. The former veep is a master politician, not a prophet or a planetary savior.

Gore's biggest rhetorical trick is saying that the Earth has a fever. He says that 10 of the hottest years in history came in the last 11 years, and this proves we must do something, because, "If your baby has a fever, you go to the doctor."

This is meaningless. The Earth has been much, much hotter in the past than today. No giant space nanny fed it medicine.

Moreover, a healthy baby has a constant temperature - that's why a fever is bad. The Earth does not have a constant temperature. It has been generally warming since the end of the Little Ice Age in the early 19th century, but that has not been uniform. It's had warming phases (the 1920s and 1930) and cooling phases (the 1940s to 1970s).

It's also had periods like today, when temperatures are flat - there hasn't been much warming since 1998. Yes, it's warmer today than it was a hundred years ago, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Talking about fevers is misleading, but it's a great rhetorical trick.

And when it comes to the economics of the issue, Gore is way outside the mainstream. Appearing before a House committee, he said that changing the American economy in the way he proposes - a plan of freezes, taxes, market controls and regulations that would represent a massive expansion of government control over the economy - would not be costly.

Yet he also endorsed the ill-fated Kyoto Protocol (which he helped negotiate). The U.S. Energy Information Administration calculates that Kyoto would reduce U.S. gross domestic product by $100 billion to $400 billion a year.

Gore is a very wealthy man, but it's hard to see why he can't recognize that this is a lot of money lost - and a lot of jobs lost and a lot of families going cold and hungry.

How does Gore address this point? He doesn't; he simply avoids it, with highfalutin rhetoric. It's not just the Earth's "fever" and our supposed moral duty to cure it; he says our descendants will either condemn us as blind or praise us for our moral courage. He also makes veiled references to himself as Churchill, while all around him others appease fascism.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Jack,

I don't know that we are rushing into E85.

In the entire state of California, according to the website e85fuel, there is 1 public e85 fuel outlet. One more to open next month, and two in 2008.

Not exactly inundating the market.

But I agree, anything we do should be based on good science. But we should be doing lots of stuff, cause you never know where it will come from.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17430 posts)
they gave the prize to arafat.... not like it actually means anything anymore.

Only reason there is a nobel peace prize is beacue authur nobel felt gulity for inventing dynamite.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
He lies in his book and movie so the nobel prize to him is a lie too...figures

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
All we have to do is build 10 new nuke power plants and 5 new refineries, drill in Alaska, Calif. and Fl and we would not be dependent on foreign sources. There problem soveld and more time to find that magic "free" power source!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
fine, find private funding for this nonsense. Stop using tax subsidies to fund it.

worthless technology.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
From what I have seen, ethanol is not the way to go right now. Maybe it is switchgrass, or sugar beets, or electric, or something we don't know about.

Or maybe there will be some technological advance in solar cells.

Who the hell knows? Just over a hundred years ago, many people thought powered flight was unattainable. And look at us now.

But it is important to investigate all avenues, because one that is not feasible may provide the basic research for something that is.

Look at all the stuff we got from the space program.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17430 posts)
TBR, just out of curosity, how is the USA going to figure out that there is NO POSSIBLE way of producing enough E85 to become energy independent?

you would have to convert every available acre of land in the country to corn production, you then would need between 20 and 25% more land for corn production. It's not transferable through exsisting infastructure. How then are we going to compensate for the fact that all corn production is goign to fuel and not food?

it' s just not doable.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
well tbr, Unlike you most liberals want to mandate how i live my life. "no guns, no red meat, electric car or god forbid the bush, take my money ect ect ect" I'm sick of it and I'll bitch slap anyone that trys to enforce their way of living on me.

I already drive a car that gets 30 mpg if they ever make an electric/hybrid that doesn't look like a pregnant roller skate that have 300hp and can go 400 miles on a take of whatever and doesn't cost between 6 and 8 thousand dollars more than the internal combustion conterpart i'll buy it. i will always own guns even if the govt says i can't, i will always eat meat even if the animal rights nuts say i can't. Basically I'll live how I want.

you're an exception maybe you aren't a do as i say liberal nut but most are.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
Jack,

Of course it would be. But that is not the way science works. Science is messy. You come up with something, find out some stuff, refine your methods, hopefully get something that works better.

The United States has the most innovative people in the world. We'll figure it out.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17430 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 196   End
TOPIC: An inconvenient truth