America: Land of the free, home of the overqualified : Swingers Discussion 220446
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsAmerica: Land of the free, home of the overqualified
TOPIC: America: Land of the free, home of the overqualified
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
The outlook for recent college graduates continues to be depressing.

According to data released earlier this year by the Center for College Affordability & Productivity, 48% of employed U.S. college graduates are in jobs that don't require a four-year degree and 37% are employed in positions that require only a high school diploma. The rise in underemployment in this group since 1970 is pretty stark.

More than 15% of taxi drivers and firefighters hold college degrees. In 1970, fewer than 1% of taxi drivers held one, and the figure for firefighters was about 2%. Nearly 25% of all retail salespeople, along with 15% of bank tellers and 5% of janitors are now college graduates, the report says. Back in the 1970s, college graduates with those jobs accounted for less than 5% of the workforce.

Many of these workers in low-paying jobs are going to have a tough time repaying their student loans. According to the Project on Student Debt at the Institute for College Access & Success, students who borrowed money and earned a bachelor's degree in 2011 owed an average of $26,6000 in student debt, up from $25,250 in 2010. Given that college tuition has risen at greater than the rate of inflation for years, that figure will only increase in the coming years. Unfortunately, a huge mismatch exists between the skills of the American workforce and the jobs that are available. As Edward Luce recently noted in The Financial Times, Germany does a much better job in training its workforce.

"Germany channels roughly half of all high-school students into the vocational education stream from the age of 16. In the US that would be seen as too divisive, even un-American," he writes. "More than 40 per cent of Germans become apprentices. Only 0.3 per cent of the US labour force does so."

Training workers for tomorrow's jobs is easier and cheaper than retraining those whose skills are deficient. The U.S., though, has a lot to do to improve in this area. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the labor "participation rate," the number of people looking for work, is at its lowest level since 1979.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
User Details are only visible to members.
a college degree don't gurantee noting.it the person that holds it.....BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
"I'd bet the farm they are cherry picking the Fire-Medic's out of those stats.

You have to take and pass roughly the same tests as an ER nurse, as well as hold the certifications to be a firefighter."

Oh yeah, definitely. Good point because I didn't even think of that.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
The other issue is...BAs and BSs are a dime a dozen, particularly in things like communications, liberal arts and Business management. The MS, MA and MaS is the new bachelors degree, and the PhD is the new masters degree. Having said that, someone with a CCIE, PMP , MCSD or six sigma Black belt and an associates degree can walk into a 50K + a year job right out of community college

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
I'd bet the farm they are cherry picking the Fire-Medic's out of those stats.

You have to take and pass roughly the same tests as an ER nurse, as well as hold the certifications to be a firefighter.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
While I agree with the overall sentiment of that article, I'm a bit confused why they included firefighters into that study. It's pretty much a requirement to obtain a college degree in order to move up the ladder (pun unintended) on many fire departments these days. Same goes for many police departments and other public service jobs.

You don't need a degree to join obviously, but your opportunities for advancement and promotions are going to be severely limited if you don't have a degree. Even the enlisted ranks of the military are putting a lot of emphasis on college education when it comes to advancement into the senior enlisted ranks. If you don't have a degree, or at least taking some college classes during your free time, it's getting harder and harder to move beyond the E-5/E-6 range.

I'm curious with those firefighters, if they are strictly talking about entry-level firemen having degrees or just firemen in general.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
Public education transitions to Pre K- Grade 14 Community colleges transition to the last two years of bachelors degrees and create an emphasis on certifications as an alternative, private and state Universities focus on graduate work Problem solved When I was a W-2 employee my certs were far more a factor in the advancement of my career than my degrees

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Vacp:

"Has anybody thought about how many more people go to college now than went in the 60's-70's. Maybe this could be part of the increase.I can't wait to hear this response."

That is because more jobs require college or other training. This is because even if the job application doesn't request it, the more accolades you can place on the resume, makes it look more impressive and provides the applicant that extra boost over the other applicant.

So if you are in a job that has you working with costumers, having multiple language skills (which often requires college) will give you the edge over anyone who is your equal in all other areas. (this is called doing more, working harder... Taking more classes.)

At the end of the day, you have scientist who are taking classes in related fields, just to get the edge over others scientist who don't or can't for any reason.

This makes the scientist with the greater number of PhD's seem more professional or knowing than the one with the fewer PhD's.

The same model applies to all other jobs.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
I would venture a guess that the 'lopsided' nature has just as much to do with the giant increase in kids getting easy to obtain liberal arts degrees that are as worthless as the paper they are printed on. Thanks to the entitled nature of kids these days and the outsourcing of lower level jobs to other countries, there isn't a lot of pool left for everyone starting out to share. Not that they would have taken those jobs anyway.

Meanwhile the number of high school graduates entering the work force as tradesmen apprentices is at an all time low.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Has anybody thought about how many more people go to college now than went in the 60's-70's. Maybe this could be part of the increase.I can't wait to hear this response.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
15k earned income a year... Maybe a yearly savings of 1k if you are single, no children and live as a hermit, never speaking with anyone or doing anything but going to work.... Yep 26k debt will destroy this nation at this point.

Sadly the right only knows the stick, to beat people into working harder and tearing people down to get ahead. This is a self destructing road that we have been on sense the 70s, sense the loss ofthe unions (when the union members began betraying eachother and the rise of the Reagon democrat).

Sell outs always get what comes to them, pain and suffering. Sadly the right has instatutionalise this suffering and they don't realize that they are their own enemy.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
TOPIC: America: Land of the free, home of the overqualified