A post that's taylor made for our friend Zango : Swingers Discussion 82526
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsA post that's taylor made for our friend Zango
TOPIC: A post that's taylor made for our friend Zango
Created by: joeodd2
Original Starting post for this thread:
April 20, 2006 Study: Using big words needlessly makes you seem stupider

Everyone knows how college students will try to make themselves sound smarter by reaching for the thesaurus and using big, ponderous words they barely understand. But now a new study shows that readers can see through this. Daniel Oppenheimer, a psychologist at Princeton, took a handful of writing samples and used a thesaurus to replace the simple words with needlessly flowery ones. As the Bad Language blog notes:

He created a "highly complex" version of each original text by replacing each noun, verb and adjective in it with the longest synonym. This is the kind of writing by thesaurus that many business people and techies employ when they want to sound knowledgeable and important or because they think writing like they speak will make them sound lightweight.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 30   End
User Details are only visible to members.
People spend too much time worrying what others *think* of them. Why does it matter if some people think you're stupid for trying to improve your understanding of words and your ability to construct better prose? Study language because words are beautiful, and an artful conveyance of meaning in prose is admired by those who can appreciate. When I was studying chess I recall a statement that had a lasting impact on me. Summarized it was "You know that you've become a life long student of the game when you can truly see the beauty, not in your own move, but in the one of your opponent". Linguistics is a lot like that. We can all learn from other, better students. And we can learn to properly craft language of our own. It takes practice and a desire, but there's no need to tear down those who are willing to try.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
I think they were trying to be Ironic when they used that word in the title Angel, or maybe not.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Hey angel Webster's just added the word "Ginormous". And let's not forget "Bling". so I would not be surprised if Stupider had snuck in their somewhere, hell my spell check didn't even try to correct the word...............

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
..........so JNM wants to challenge Pussy to a "tennis" match? JNM is sooooooo GAAAAAAAY! Pussy I don't want to challenge you to anything but a good ole' fashioned fucking match, what ya say? Best of 7, I'll have to take a gensing.......

And for the record Zango is still out of his fucking mind. With his little gay ass guitar and vest. I tell ya he gives new meaning to lame. But please educate us with some more of those huge words that you so skillfully copy and paste in order to make yourself seem smarter than you are......oh pretty please? How about another bad poem? Or so more copy and paste song lyrics? Zango has such a versatile mind.........

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
i was thinkin the same thing, not because of specific persons but just the general lack of discussion anywhere. maybe it's time for a summer vacation!

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I am outta here. Issues in the forums are over, it is all about Zero and JNM. See you maybe in a few months. It used to be fun but the thrill is gone. I came on today to see if things had changed but they have not. So I may or may not be back see yeah.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
cant someone move this thread OUT of the political forums???

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
ROFLMAO!!! I'm laughing so hard from all of this! Right on debjack! Thanks for the compliment. WE both assessed Zingbat correct from the start and now he's just a good laugh!! Oops! Did he just become the BUTT of all his jokes and demeaning behavior? I gotta stop laughing, my sides hurt!!! OH, f_ck it! It's funny as hell!!

St George UT
Username hidden
(2113 posts)
Char--gotta love it! LOL! I looked into moving to PA last year honestly-couldn't find a good paying job though. Go ahead, perv my pics! (please? lol)

St George UT
Username hidden
(2113 posts)
JNM--It's all fun and games until someone farts in the funnel cake!! LMAO!! I hate it when that happens!!! Well there goes the frickin' tennis game with you! Damn!! ;-(

(*sighs* shakes it off and walks away--STILL in need of a good f_ck!!! lol!!)

St George UT
Username hidden
(2113 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 30   End
TOPIC: A post that's taylor made for our friend Zango