A Speech in Spanish Is a First for the US Senate : Swingers Discussion 223483
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsA Speech in Spanish Is a First for the US Senate
TOPIC: A Speech in Spanish Is a First for the US Senate
Created by: vacpl4fun1962
Original Starting post for this thread:
What a fuckn idiot. I guess he has to pander to them because of the votes he got from them out of Northern Virginia

WASHINGTON — When Senator Tim Kaine, Democrat of Virginia, took the Senate floor on Tuesday to deliver a speech in support of an immigration overhaul bill, he did it in a way no senator had done before: entirely in Spanish.

Obama Backs Bill to Overhaul Immigration as Debate Is Set (June 12, 2013) Immigrants Reach Beyond a Legal Barrier for a Reunion (June 12, 2013) Unions Ramp Up Support of Immigration Bill (June 12, 2013) “We are going to have hours upon hours of debate about this on the floor of the Senate, and taking 15 minutes to explain the bill in Spanish just seemed like a good idea,” Mr. Kaine said. “Latinos have so much invested in the outcome of the bill, people ought to know what the bill is about.”

According to records from the Senate Library, Mr. Kaine was the first senator to give a speech all in Spanish on the Senate floor. Senator James M. Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma, spoke Spanish in brief statements on the floor in 2003 and 2005, and former Senator Mel Martinez, Republican of Florida, did the same in 2005.

Mr. Kaine, who learned Spanish when he lived in Honduras and helped run a Roman Catholic school with Jesuit missionaries, said he had started planning the speech six weeks ago and had written it with the help of two staff members who speak Spanish.

“I think people were probably surprised,” Mr. Kaine said. “One of my people got a call by a Latino staffer in the House and said, ‘I have waited 20 years to see this happen.’ ”

Mr. Kaine, a former governor of Virginia, said he used to speak Spanish only every four to five months, but now found himself speaking it every day. “It is a sign of the changing nature of Virginia,” he said.

Public reaction to Mr. Kaine’s speech was mixed, even among Hispanic civil rights groups that support the immigration bill.

“To have the speech in Spanish — it brings a great joy and a sense of pride that we are being heard, finally,” said Paloma Zuleta, communications director of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

But Lisa Navarrete, a spokeswoman for the National Council of La Raza, said that while Mr. Kaine’s linguistic outreach was appreciated, the organization believes that “the debate should be something that everyone in Congress can understand and that all languages understand.”

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Robert: those born in the US have joined the democrats because you on the right told the illegals to come here and work.

The conservatives want the border closed. You liberals are the ones holding the fucking door open and waving government benefits at them.

If we aren't doing a good job taking care of our own- something you always say- why would you libs agree to fuck over U.S. citizens who are poor and give instead to illegals? That's just mean.

Bensalem PA
Username hidden
(1173 posts)
they should do one in Spanglish. that way you get the best of both worlds. isn't that the idea? the best of both worlds?

Jamaica NY
Username hidden
(882 posts)
Vacp:

"Stop the ass kissing and take care of the people born in the USA NOT the ones who are breaking the laws being here.Remember reading is fundamental and a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

1) those born in the US are US citizens demanding that we take care of their kids. 2) those born in the US have joined the democrats because you on the right told the illegals to come here and work, that they will have an improved life... And at the first moment of trouble between the illegals and legal citizens, you dropped the illegals like dead weight. 3) We the left no longer look to where you were born as being important, we aren't so ignorant as to think this to be important.

So if you are jellious of our new found power you gave us, maybe it is time to evolve your parties plate form into a more open and liberal state of mind. Otherwise just shut up about your party losing power yet again... That has always been the problem with closed minded hate filled people.

You surround yourself with your own hate for others and try to reduce the worth of others... Now understand that you have reduced your own value as a voter by betraying the illegals your party brought here to work the farm lands and other.

Don't believe me? Look to who hires the majority if the illegals, the majority of the aliens who stay because they need the work. Look to who wants to out source the good jobs and add more laborers to a nation with a 8% unemployment rate.

Hint; it's the republicans calling for more work vesa's... Not the dems.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7483 posts)
Awww you no like Spanish? Tough.

Get use to the idea of bi-lengual living. Get use to being part of a new nation and way of operating. Your do more mentality, push harder, your very ideals pushed us all to this point.

Your ideals took advantage of the illegal aliens and then the moment they gained power your republicans bitch slapped them and have tired to call them the enemy for taking jobs republicans were all to willing to give them.

So yes, the left will hold out our hands to them and we will embrace the added power they give to our party, the votes their US children will add to our party, the power you rejected by yet again, rejecting people not exactly like you.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7483 posts)
8 inch I have alil over 1500 post not 12000. At least I am smart enough to be able to read and understand.I guess it's to hard for you to know the difference from Vacpl and vabeach. Now I know why you vote for the Dems. The fact is ,he is a US Senator and we do things in English. Stop the ass kissing and take care of the people born in the USA NOT the ones who are breaking the laws being here.Remember reading is fundamental and a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
I find it strange that a democratic senator does not know that more nationalities than just Latino immigrate to the US.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19367 posts)
"What a fuckn idiot. I guess he has to pander to them because of the votes he got from them out of Northern Virginia"

If you're smarter than all of the Dem politicians, what's stopping your 24x7 complaining-ass from running as a Repub and winning an easy election?

You're up to 12k posts of "It's the Democrats and Obam's fault". Have you nothing new to say? These posts are not swaying extra votes to your party of choice.

So, after 12k posts.... who's really the idiot? You have a lot of spare time and easily amused it seems.

Albuquerque NM
Username hidden
(2105 posts)
I thought Republicanese was the only alien language allowed on the floor.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I want someone to deliver a speech in Klingon.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19556 posts)
Which is why English needs to be declared the offical national language.

Rio Rancho NM
Username hidden
(319 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
TOPIC: A Speech in Spanish Is a First for the US Senate