no more pretty profiles : Swingers Discussion 44384
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen Forumno more pretty profiles
TOPIC: no more pretty profiles
Created by: Mastersdaintypet The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
User Details are only visible to members.
The Webmaster has stated that he will bring some of the basic HTML type formating back. I'm not sure what form that will be in, but I am sure he will do what he has told us he would do.

As far as minority or majority goes, I've received more complaints in the past against profiles with HTML in them than the complaints I have received because we took HTML away.

Actually, the number 1 question I have received since HTML was removed is, "What is HTML?" or "Do I have HTML in my profile?"

Mocksville NC

Username hidden
(1474 posts)
Not tryin to stir things, jus bein synical. I am far from a simple feller, far more complex than you might think. I can be very passionate about a lot of things, like when the minority thinks they should rule because they think they're right. Yes they can be, but in democracy, majority rules. I wasn't preachin hate, and demeanin the intellegence of of his supporters when clinton was in office, no matter how wrong I thought he was. Yes, the push for civil rights was a minority effort. It became the law of the land when the majority came to see the logic of it. When I started in these forums I was every bit a combative as you. I've mellowed over time. The debates got too heated, too combative, and too personal. Now I try to stick to logic and reason, and keep the personal stuff to positive posts.

Mike

Bedford PA

Username hidden
(5527 posts)
"That's part of my point Meet. Out of the "few" lifetime members complaining, and the ton of them NOT complaining, why would webby change things back for the minority." Cause some think if the minority is passionate (bitches) enough, they should win.

Mike

Bedford PA

Username hidden
(5527 posts)
PA.... I still perv you too. We HAVE to set something up soon. Maybe you guys can have a toy party and I'll have an excuse to come back down to Reading (did a few there already, but was by myself, and can't play that way). I agree that there was more and more people making "pretty profiles" and that kind of defeated the purpose of those who were trying to be "different". Guess the security issues out weigh the complaining being done about it.

Lora

Pittston Township PA

Username hidden
(1142 posts)
That's part of my point Meet. Out of the "few" lifetime members complaining, and the ton of them NOT complaining, why would webby change things back for the minority. I don't feel Webby doesn't care about his members. To me, what he did was FOR his members. He may not have done it in a way that is agreeable to all (can't please everyone), but I'm sure the majority appreciate Webby trying to keep as many security issues as he can down to a minimum. I'm not computer literate enough to even understand the security issues that he's trying to keep secure. But I am able to read profiles, with or without the HTML. If someone isn't going to take the time to read a profile before contacting someone, what's the difference if it's "more readable" than others. If someone is going to be serious about meeting, they would read the profile either way. If they don't read the profile, and it shows in the mail, I wouldn't want to meet them anyway, like I've seen said by so many people previously.

I stand by my comment that the "pretty profiles" do nothing to help me decide if I want to meet someone or not. Their computer knowledge does nothing for my sexual appetite.

Lora

Pittston Township PA

Username hidden
(1142 posts)
I just thought I would post some info for those thinking that Webby will change their minds about the HTML if enough people complain.

If you look at the posts to this forum topic, include the post under website regarding this topic, you come up with, so far, a total of 112 posts. And that includes the ones who posted more than once to the topic.

When I looked at the home page, and see 9933 new members for this week only, that 112 complaining posts are NOTHING compared to the amount of members SLS has.

Just some food for thought.

Lora

Pittston Township PA

Username hidden
(1142 posts)
No picture can be protected on the internet. You post a picture for the purpose of someone viewing it, and if they can view it they can copy it. Think about it this way, if they are viewing your picture on their monitor, they can get a camera and take a picture of their screen and then they will have a copy of your picture. No way to block that.

Also, browsers send a copy of your picture to a cache on the viewing users machine. If the user knows how, they can copy it from there. No way to block that.

The best way to protect your pictures is to stamp your username over the middle of them. Most people will not steal it then.

Mocksville NC

Username hidden
(1474 posts)
I do feel sorry for those of you who feel so strongly about being "wronged" in some way. I only used html sparingly for paragraph breaks and such. Some profiles were very nicely done. I especially liked pen's background image when I tilted the laptop screen back. I hadn't seen that before.

However, Did it occur to any of you that besides malicious code being a security threat, that material was being shown here from another site's server? I have traced images from my own website logs that were repeatedly being pulled from another site. That is theft of services (bandwidth) and could be copyright infringement. It is very easy to spot if you check your website log. Webby may have been confronted and rather than risk being sued and SLS being shut down he immediately pulled the plug. Sure a warning would have been nice, but isn't it great that the site is still here?

Perhaps we will get limited formatting back at some point and that will help your profile read better.

Pierson FL

Username hidden
(288 posts)
I just spoke with the Webmaster. Because of the security threat, he could not give notice. That would just give a window of opportunity to anyone wanting to do something bad.

He did say he would be putting basic functions, such as paragraph breaks, back in some fashion, although it probably will not be right away.

Mocksville NC

Username hidden
(1474 posts)
We spent a lot of time trying to make our profile interesting and unique, as we're sure that many of you did. But today we signed on and our profile looked like crap - all the code was displaying instead of executing. On top of that you can't even use the paragraph code in emails anymore so everything is one huge paragraph.

I suspect that the real issue is bandwidth and not security. I sent Tech Support a pretty nasty email saying as much and I suggested that if that's the case they might consider restricting HTML to paid members or even charging a couple dollars a month extra for those of us who want to use it.

Clearly this was done with all the finesse of a linebacker and with no regard for the members. The very least they cold have done was to announce in advance what they were planning to do, and either solicit feedback or at the very least give those of us who used HTML some time to redo our profiles.

Maybe if enough people write to them they'll realize that there are a lot of unhappy campers out here is SLS Land and possibly reconsider their decision. Right now we're thinking that we'll go back to being free members. If enough people do that it will hit them in the pocketbook, which always gets any company's attention.

Greenfield MA

Username hidden
(5 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
TOPIC: no more pretty profiles