does time go backward : Swingers Discussion 2151961021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen Forumdoes time go backward
TOPIC: does time go backward
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   21 to 30 of 59   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Time might not go backwards, but I could have a 5 minute conversation with Beethoven (virtually).

There is finite number of combinations for a 5 minute MP3 file (CD quality). That number is HUGE, but finite - 2 to the 211 millionth power. So, assuming enough time, a computer could generate a 5 minute conversation of me talking to Beethoven. It could also generate a 5 minute clip of EVERY song that has been written or will be written, or that was never written.

Gainesville FL

Username hidden
(1853 posts)
It may be a trivial difference, in most jobs that need to be done. But at the cutting edge of efficiency, if you want to do your job even better than expected, you might discern those possibilities that are on the edge of reality.

If enough people agree that a process "works", then it does -- to an extent. If you then "fix" the process, it works even better -- as soon as the people involved accept that it's even better than it was.

I believe in performance above 100%. It's a cliche' in sports, but there's something to it. It may be more than you can sustain forever, or more than has been done before, or just better chemistry than could have been anticipated.

Even if you don't think of a momentary opportunity as a "possible parallel universe", you can recognize it and seize on it. Like a moment that will never be here again.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"In that case, every decision made, by man or butterfly, determines all of the future course of events. Everything you do matters."

My previous career as a development chemist was chasing down all the "X-factors" in chemical processes. Whenever you see a change in outcome from "doing it exactly the same" - no - you didn't do it exactly the same. Something was different. You might not know what it was, or be able to control for it, but it's there. Chasing down these X-factors is maddening and very difficult, and often you come up with incomplete (or wrong) answers. But - when you find one - it's extremely satisfying.

I had an instance where I was chasing down a quality issue at the plant producing 50 metric tons a day of a key raw material. In studying the data, I observed a slight reduction in gas output. Knowing what I knew about the process, I ultimately decided that this must have resulted from a slight reduction of charging rate of a material introduced early in the process. Chased it back to a valve assembly which had been replaced a few weeks back which was made of bronze instead of brass, which led to galvanic corrosion of another piece.... which led to...

I do miss that part of the job. What I *don't* miss is that probably 50% of the time the X-factor was a human-based fuckup, and the humans knew it - and many of them went very far out of their way to fake or hide data or otherwise attempt to throw me off their trail, because they knew damn well what was different and wanted to cover their asses. The good part is that none of them understood the chemistry behind it well enough to conjure up *plausible* fake data. This made me somewhat despised by people who looked at me as a public prosecutor as opposed to a problem solver. I did not like that part.

Anyway - rant over.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17546 posts)
I do not buy into this notion of parallel universes myself, and certainly not into the concept of "alternative histories". Just because one can conceive of an infinite number of histories doesn't mean any of those things actually have happened.

As for an infinite number of futures - of course. But only one of those futures will actually happen. The course to be determined by the sum quantity of all events, random or otherwise, which occur along the way.

This is just my opinion, of course. This lies at the threshold between science and philosophy, and, in my opinion, too many people get carried away with the notion that just because one can conceive of something means it's real.

Just because people like Feynmann described and used mathematical descriptors of multiple histories doesn't mean they are purporting them to be real. I can mathematically describe a 500-foot tall scaled-up Bugatti Veyron in great detail. Doesn't mean it ever existed.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17546 posts)
"Many-World Interpretation (MWI) theory. All possible alternative histories and futures are real, each representing an actual/parallel world or universe. "

Maybe these possible universes are only real for a split second, and then they fail to materialize. The only one that turns out to be real is the one that is the result of all decisions.

In that case, every decision made, by man or butterfly, determines all of the future course of events. Everything you do matters.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
My thoughts in a moment , Arnold is at my door ........:-)

Willow Grove PA

Username hidden
(4668 posts)
Yup, you have ESP. Can you tell me what I'm thinking about right now?

Gibsonia PA

Username hidden
(6730 posts)
"..You lift your foot off the brake just as the light turns green means you JUST went through that same intersection in a parallel universe a split second ago?" --

That hypothesis would be consistent with the quantum mechanics, Many-World Interpretation (MWI) theory. All possible alternative histories and futures are real, each representing an actual/parallel world or universe.

Emeryville CA

Username hidden
(12201 posts)
A person's internal "clock" may be super-accurate, or there may be other possibilities. If an alarm is sufficiently annoying, it may motivate the waker to anticipate it and circumvent having to hear it. This may enhance a sense of timing. It may also enhance the reflex to undo something before it's happened. These may or may not be the same thing.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Now your internal body clock is evidence of time travel? What's next? You lift your foot off the brake just as the light turns green means you JUST went through that same intersection in a parallel universe a split second ago?

Poland OH

Username hidden
(11885 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Start   21 to 30 of 59   End
TOPIC: does time go backward