Would you tip $10 on a $1,500 pizza delivery : Swingers Discussion 2183501011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumWould you tip $10 on a $1,500 pizza delivery
TOPIC: Would you tip $10 on a $1,500 pizza delivery
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 50   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"But do we know for a fact that this driver wasn't also handed a cash tip? I have split tips between my credit card and cash."

That has been suggested. It's possible.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19406 posts)
I don't know guys, I see what you are saying but I have to disagree. And before you ask, yes, I have worked as a waitress before. Yes, I tip well but I tip based on service.

As you all know, unless there are special circumstances (such as the facility adding a percentage as a tip for larger parties), tipping is a courtesy and if someone leaves you with only a singular bent penny as a tip, that's craptacular but it is what it is. Working for shitty tips are a chance you take when you apply and accept this type of job. Fact is, the customer did give him 'something.' It isn't much, and I think he should've given more, but he could have just put zero on the tip line, closed the door in his face, and left the driver to pay for his own gas.

I went and read the posts made by jfastman. The driver made two trips between the restaurant and the point of drop-off. I know s/he probably pays for their own gas and 10 bucks probably just covered it. But do we know for a fact that this driver wasn't also handed a cash tip? I have split tips between my credit card and cash. We are stringing up this random person without having all the facts.

Hampton VA
Username hidden
(131 posts)
$10 is plenty! People shouldn't be rewarded for working menial jobs such as delivering pizzas and waiting on people, otherwise there is no incentive for them to do better!

Moron Buenos Aires Argentina
Username hidden
(467 posts)
Back to the pizza delivery topic. An $17-18 pie isn't that unusual especially if it's a local place rather than an national chain. I usually tip a driver 15% when I order a delivery (a rare thing anymore). When I worked in a pizza place in college, the drivers used their own cars. They got reimbursed for mileage but it just never seemed like it was enough to compensate for the wear and tear. The restaurant I worked at in Iowa closed. Now I would have to drive to Lincoln, NE to get that amazing cheese steak or combination hoagie.

Albany OR
Username hidden
(36 posts)
Oh fuck off with your anarchy. Having no skill and expecting to be paid like you do, along with welfare is destroying far more in this world than any possible benefit.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(2168 posts)
Cplo:

Save it.

Most companies or businesses fail in the first 5 to 10 years. You go into any business knowing this as fact.

Any pay which is below the minimum wage or even at the minimum wage is a drain on society.

If a business isn't able to charge a wage to pay their employees a wage which grows the local economy, then the business isn't needed as it isn't contributing to the local economy.

It is true that social welfare is a subsidization of your work force. If they weren't paid social welfare, you would either have riots on the streets or you would have a head on a pike after the worker rebellion.

This is a fact of history. The US was good for small rebellions every 25 years until social welfare put an end to the need of these public display of violence against those who would pay a wage which is below what grows the local economy.

So ask yourself, do you really want a return to these days? Do you?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7425 posts)
"You don't tip in Europe, because people are paid better so you don't have to. The higher wages are reflected in the higher cost of the food. But because the staff are not incentivized to do much of anything, the service is terrible in all but the very best places."

This. First time I went to Europe, I was in Stuttgart, Germany. I ate at some little cafe or bistro or whatever and I left some money on the table as a tip. The waitress caught up to me as I was leaving and said that I forgot my money on the table and handed it back to me. At first I thought she was angry because it wasn't a very good tip. I told her it was for her and she looked genuinely confused. Guess I was her first American customer. I found out later that evening that tipping wasn't very common place.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
VA:

" What's the advantage again to the European system? Other than that people who suck make the same as people who are very good?"

The fact that their employees are needing less social welfare? The fact that their employees have more money to buy goods and services from others who are then able to pay their employees to do the same and thus everyone does better.

How about a economy not based upon total fear and descending into a caste system as is the case in the US?

There are a great many things we can learn from other nations, but you think that unlimited power gives you the edge. And maybe it does to begin with... But your style of economics is what destroy's the fabric of a nation and allows it to descend into anarchy.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7425 posts)
"Stop defending lazy employers paying less than the minimum."

LOL. Both of my friends who own restaurants are in there every day from open to close and a few hours extra before opening and after closing. They're both upstarts with neither having been in business more than 2 years. They do the bulk of the work themselves and can't afford a large staff. They prep the food, run the kitchen, do the books, pay the bills, keep tabs on inventory, replenish the inventory, advertise, print menus and all of the other behind the scenes things that go with owning your own restaurant. It's not like they have the corporate backing of a major chain like Crapplebee's who can hire managers, asst managers, accountants, or logistics managers. They do all of that themselves.

The servers show up, do their jobs and go home. They help with some light cleaning at the end of the day but that's about it. When you're a server, you really don't work for the establishment, you work for the customers that you happen to be waiting on at the time. So during the work day, you might end up working for 8 or 10 or 20 different people. Each customer is independently critiquing you and (hopefully) compensating you properly for a job well done. At the end of the day, if your tips and wages don't add up to minimum wage, the owner kicks in the difference so that you do in fact earn minimum wage.

So when you say servers should be paid minimum wage, what you're really saying is that they should be paid above minimum wage because they'd make minimum wage plus their tips. I disagree with that because being a waiter requires no special skill set, just a friendly personality and a good set of ears. It's a minimum wage skill set that gets them minimum wage pay whether the owner has to kick in or not. However, a good server will earn above minimum wage after their tips are factored in. So I don't see why they should be paid minimum wage when it's already possible for them to exceed minimum wage.

Because of my experience of working in the service industry I can tell you without a doubt that I critique service just as hard as anyone and I tip accordingly. 15% be damned, that's just the starting point and the tip goes up or down based on performance. And service is just as important to a restaurant as the food itself. If I get bad service, it's possible I won't go back again. That has a negative effect on the owner because they might lose a repeat customer. If I get really bad service, not only will I not go back, but I'll tell my friends not to eat there either. Now the owner lost more business. And they'll tell their friends and so on and so on. And in 2013, people like putting shit on the internet. So I'm not just telling friends, I'm telling the entire world by posting on Yelp or Urbanspoon that this place gave me bad service.

Now the restaurant has trouble filling tables. But the servers are getting paid $7.25/hr to twiddle their thumbs because they suck at their job and people stopped coming in.

Tips are how an owner critiques his waitstaff. The good ones always exceed the minimum wage rate. The bad ones don't and the owner has to kick in the difference. Once he starts kicking in for the same person(s) on a constant basis, it's pretty clear that he/she is not doing the job properly which is putting the business at risk. If they are paid minimum wage from the start, the owner will be further out of the loop unless customers are constantly complaining. And most customers don't complain about poor service (only bad food), they just leave a shitty tip. They want to eat and leave, not waste time talking to the owner about a rude or slow server.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
"She however somehow thought this argument supported the European model. "

lmao! It doesn't surprise me.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16956 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 50   End
TOPIC: Would you tip $10 on a $1,500 pizza delivery