Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
« Prev  1 ...  1.1  2.1  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  ... 80  Next »
52 to 61 of 797
User Details are only visible to members.
I visited a Louisiana plantation some time ago. One of the items on display was the inventory of slaves.

It listed their names; where they were from, age, gender, book value, and special talents/skills.

At the top: Charles. 52 years old from west Africa. $5,000.

He is devoted, friendly and loyal.

He can read and write, and speak English, French, and Haitian Creole.

He understands architectural drawings and can direct construction projects. He is highly knowledgable with respect to agriculture and food storage. He has a keen intuition with respect to short term weather forecasting.

Basically, your perfect slave. Talented while having no risk of causing you trouble.

Then, at the bottom. Two female - each worth $100. One an 18 year old. "She is a lunatic" was the only comment. Ok.

Another made me sad. 2 years old and it said "She has no redeeming qualities whatsoever." Already making that determination?

It was weird to see but an interesting slice of history circa 1850.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(26016 posts)
Dr.Ben Carson book One Nation ,I will past judgement on it once I'm done So far so good

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(9089 posts)
I've been reading the daily log kept by a Louisiana sugar cane plantation overseer in 1861. There is a daily account of the weather, the tasks being performed, the number of slaves assigned to each task, etc. It's not exactly riveting stuff, but it does give some insight into the way things were. "40 slaves sick," is an entry on the day the Civil War started. Two days later: "some slaves better, some not."

Over 200 slaves worked on this 1,500 acre plantation. In the owner's will, he specified that upon his death the slaves should be freed and given passage to Liberia and $50 cash. That provision was successfully challenged in court by his heirs.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13321 posts)
reading a murder/mystery series.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(21530 posts)
Reacquainting myself with the South Beach Diet Book.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7424 posts)
@BT: When I read your posts sometimes, I really want to cum to New Orleans. You are fucking crazy. @NJNY: I used to love vampires. Now I can't stand them. I guess they just made too many movies, etc. about them.

I have to pick up something new to read; haven't read a book since J Lo's which I could have passed on.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7424 posts)
Where's the What's For Dissert? thread?

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(12186 posts)
Dissertation research...

Lucky me

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(20584 posts)
Money..... master the game. By Tony Robbins. Mr lc

Jamaica NY
Username hidden
(889 posts)
Welcome to the forums INTREPID

The Paris Wife - about Hemingway and his first wife Hadley (before the fame)

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4119 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  1.1  2.1  3.1  4.1  5.1  6.1  7.1  8.1  9.1  10.1  ... 80  Next »
52 to 61 of 797
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.