Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 92  Next »
42 to 51 of 915
User Details are only visible to members.
I remember reading "The egg and I" and finally clicking with the author's phonetic spelling in the book by animating the Kettle's son in my head with the voice of a Tarheel construction superintendent I worked with. For example:

"I knowed exactly what was gonna happen onecet I saw the old fool start sawin away on that tower"

The only change I would have made would be to spell "onecet" as "oneced"

For some reason people changing their voices, as opposed to changing the emphasis as NJNY pointed out is just a bit more distracting. I guess I'm modulating the audio input inside my head the same way that I'm modulating the visual input - without thinking about it. I would agree with Fun that, for some reason it seems to be less distracting when the author does it. Maybe I'm deferring to their organic knowledge of the character.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2179 posts)
Tramp often reads from his favorite Lady and the Tramp, in his best Disney, Tramp voice " Oh Miss Lady Ma'am!" I love it when he talks Disney.

Carry on.....

~lady~

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(5759 posts)
About once a month -always on a weekend, I pull one of my classic cookbooks off the shelf and read aloud and cook for my kids as they sit at the island in my kitchen. The first time, I used Mastering The Art of French Cooking, and rolled out my best Dan Akroyd SNL version of Julia Child. I've also cooked from a Jacques Pepin cookbook, but I don't speak French. So, it came out like Pepin Meets Pepe LePew.

Being goofy (wonder if Disney has cookbooks?...) and living wide-eyed is something I'm trying to teach my kids to embrace.

OT: I'm currently (still..it's been months) reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules.

BT

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(13569 posts)
I loved this! It brought a smile to my face to picture you lovely folk reading to those you love full of spirit and animation.

Irving TX
Username hidden
(1176 posts)
"Except when reading to kids."

When my kids were little, I made the mistake of reading them Possum Come a Knockin in an extremely animated way. For the next couple of years, not a day passed without their demands for repeat performances.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(14104 posts)
"I think audio book readers are asking for trouble when they start doing "voices"."

.... unless the author is the one doing the reading. Eudora Welty read and recorded several of her short stories, including my favorite "Why I Live at the P. O." A treasure.

My reading rarely includes fiction, so the voice of the characters isn't all that important. The last audiobook I listened to was The Coldest Winter, written by David Halberstam and completed a couple of days before he was killed in an auto accident (10 years ago this week).

Side note: I happened to meet Halberstam a couple of years before he died. He was one of the most engaging and entertaining people you could ever hope to meet. A Pulitzer Prize winner full of humility.

Side side note: At the time, Halberstam's lovely brunette daughter was fresh out of college and had come south as a Teach For America volunteer for a couple of years. Had I not been married at the time, I most certainly would have pursued her affection.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(14104 posts)
My favorite book to read to the kids when they were young was "Fox in Socks". I had several voices for the characters, including a very nasal one I made up for Mr. Knox.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28602 posts)
I love animation and emotion I do it in my head when I read and as bad as it it some times can't help but do a little hand movements too haha. I do like that about an audio book when someone can really make you feel like there the person you are hearing about

Maplewood MN
Username hidden
(61 posts)
What NJ said.

Except when reading to kids. Then I'm happy to ham it up and even add sound effects. Like in Peter Pan when the sword stuck in captain Hook's mast. I grabbed a knife and laid it on the counter and pulled the tip down to make the "Boing!" sound. I had 'em rolling on the floor with that one.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2179 posts)
whenever i read aloud--i read with animation/emotion. i don't necessarily change my voice to try to match the character but i do follow the moods of the characters.

to me there's no point in reading to someone in a (more or less) monotone. sure fire way to put someone to sleep for the night, IMO.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(17246 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 92  Next »
42 to 51 of 915
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.