Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 80  Next »
31 to 40 of 797
User Details are only visible to members.
"Meanwhile There Are Letters"

It's about a passionate love affair carried out almost entirely through letters between two acclaimed authors. Eudora Welty and Ross Macdonald already admired each other's writing before they bumped into each other at an Algonquin Hotel meeting of authors. They began writing letters to each other --hundreds and hundreds of them-- as a love affair developed between them over the following decade. They only met in person four other times, some of which were in the presence of Macdonald's abusive wife. 

Even after Macdonald developed Alzheimer's and was no longer able to write, Miss Welty continued to write him regularly for years until his death, sending the letters to a mutual friend to make sure they were read to Macdonald during one of his increasingly infrequent windows of lucidity. 

The story is told almost exclusively through the actual letters, with explanatory comments and context by leading biographers of the novelists. If you are a fan of Eudora Welty like I am, it's a wonderful insight into a side of her that isn't apparent from her published works. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13322 posts)
Whoopi Goldberg's new book: If Someone Says "You Complete Me." RUN -- Can't put it down. It is so empowering and I am going to try and get a date with her when I am next in New York; requesting tickets to The View when she's there.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7424 posts)
smut

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(13145 posts)
The Rosie Project

Very amusing novel and fast read.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11840 posts)
Drudge Report

Username hidden
(1972 posts)
"The Last Season" by Stuart Stevens.

The author reconnects with his 95-yearold father by re-living their shared love of going to college football games together in his childhood. It makes a guy think about the relationship he had with his dad, and although the author has no children, it made me think about my own relationship with my son.

It's a quick and delightful read, which I might not have even looked at if I weren't acquainted with the author.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(13322 posts)
"War of the Gods" Z. Sitchin Thanks ZZ you made me dustoff one of my old favorites.

Username hidden
(1972 posts)
"Forum Rules". NO COMMENT I may get put in "timeout".

Username hidden
(1972 posts)
@njny: Amen to that.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7424 posts)
thanks BLT--i've been thru some hell and back experiences; i'm a determined survivor and i have fought my own way back a few times now. as i told my BFF (god we've known each other 35 years!)--i'd rather admit something is wrong and DO something about it rather than pretend in silent misery.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(14219 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 80  Next »
31 to 40 of 797
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.