Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
Created by: Fun_Ahoy
Original Starting post for this thread:
Threads for critters, gardening, dinner, movies, etc. Does anyone read any more? What are you reading, do you recommend it, and why or why not?

My most recent read is Natasha Trethewey's "Beyond Katrina," a collection of poems and prose about the Mississippi gulf coast. I fell in love with her the first time I met her and heard her read, several years ago. In this work she confronts racism, urban development, and the way in which natural disasters reveal seams in our society. But she does so through observations about individual persons and their experiences. A very good read.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 86  Next »
1 to 10 of 855
User Details are only visible to members.
HA! The Hausfrau offed herself and put us Both out of our miseries.

I honestly don't see how some truly dull books get such acclaim.

Off to search for brighter prospects ~~~~

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2361 posts)
@Tramp- would if I could & you know it, but most of what I know is a swear word or 2, some words that are very similar to English : wein- bakerie (of Course I'd know That one! Lol)--- I recognize more than I can pronounce bc I worked for Germans selling Mosel Valley Wein's and as a florist. I really Should have picked up more. :(

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2361 posts)
Blocked list, got a new one. Guess I pissed off nynjfemme somehow. I removed them from mine in case they change their mind. Hard to have discourse if you only talk to and read stuff from those you agree with.

Augusta GA
Username hidden
(367 posts)
Not me, most of the germans (deutschlander's) I know are pretty big. I didn't say fat, just not little or diminutive.

Augusta GA
Username hidden
(367 posts)
I'm reminded now of Nick Rivers from Top Secret, being told "It's ok - I know a little German."

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(27529 posts)
Annie, if I were really bad, would you get on to me in German?

Tramp Von Stoopid

Alpharetta GA
Username hidden
(4895 posts)
I just finished "Ten Days In A Madhouse" by Nellie Bly, and am back to continuing my slough thru "Hausfrau: A Novel" by Julie Alexander Essbaum. Despite it being set in Switzerland there's a lot of German in it and it's a good exercise for my brain to stretch and reach for the little I picked up while living there.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(2361 posts)
A Time for Trumpets.

Another history of the Battle of the Bulge...

Commence suggestive jokes...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(21478 posts)
stooped posts on here

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(13450 posts)
Just read an op ed by Anita Hill on Bill O'Reilly's firing. She mentioned a blog post by Susan J. Fowler that I clicked through to. Fascinating story of this woman's time in a very sick corporate culture at Uber. Some of the responses to the blog post were fascinating as well, including the discussion started by a male poster who asked if Uber's "disruptive" business model (callous toward the rights of existing cab industry workers) might have something to do with it.

An interesting read

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1751 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 86  Next »
1 to 10 of 855
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.