10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.

Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
Created by: Fun_Ahoy
Original Starting post for this thread:
Threads for critters, gardening, dinner, movies, etc. Does anyone read any more? What are you reading, do you recommend it, and why or why not?

My most recent read is Natasha Trethewey's "Beyond Katrina," a collection of poems and prose about the Mississippi gulf coast. I fell in love with her the first time I met her and heard her read, several years ago. In this work she confronts racism, urban development, and the way in which natural disasters reveal seams in our society. But she does so through observations about individual persons and their experiences. A very good read.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 93  Next »
1 to 10 of 926
User Details are only visible to members.
KJ, Thanks for pointing out Esther Perel's TED talk. Interesting.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2393 posts)
“Thy Neighbor’s Wife” by Gay Talese (1981) Scandalous at the time of publishing, Gay spent 9 years researching the book. It opened up the changing sexual norms of the US from post World War II through the pre AIDS days of the 70s. It includes a lot of history of 19th century movements of open sex as well as the laws which attempted to stamp down what was obscenity.

Little Egg Harbor NJ
Username hidden
(2649 posts)
Fire. by Elizabeth Hand. It's a combination of fiction and essays, including examination of writers and writing. Like everything she does, it's brilliant and stripped down and conversational. She does in 10 pages what a lot of other very good writers can't manage in 100.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(330 posts)
@KJ- that sounds like an interesting book. I’ll have to see if the library has is.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(4146 posts)
The State of Affairs: Rethinking Infidelity ~ by Esther Perel

From her TedTalk "monogamy used to be one person for life, today monogamy is one person at a time."

I've heard this book examines affairs from all three sides. Should be an interesting read.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(5060 posts)
Dead Lions by Mick Herron, part of his "Slow Horses" series of spy novels.

Unlike most spy novels, this series is about the MI6 spies who are too incompetent, disgraced or unreliable to put on the front lines, but not bad enough to fire outright. So they get sent to Slough House, to do soul-crushingly boring intelligence work until they get the message that they should just quit. Problem is, they're all convinced that if they just find that one piece of serious, important intelligence, it'll be their ticket back to the big time, even if they have to screw over their fellow Horses. The fact that no one has ever done it before doesn't deter them from trying......

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(1289 posts)
I'm reading "Passing Strange" by Ellen Klages. It's set in San Francisco in 1940 and is filled with magic and wonder and the bad old days of jail time if you were a woman wearing men's clothing. I'm reading it very slowly, because I don't want it to end.

Bellingham WA
Username hidden
(330 posts)
I started reading Finding Me by Michelle Knight, one of the women (the 1st) kidnapped and held hostage by Ariel Castro in Ohio.

However, I stopped. A few months into her captivity, which isn’t graphically described but alluded to, he gave her a puppy. As I try to remember the news, I don’t recall hearing anything about a dog and I can’t stand reading about an animal hurt.

The writing is in her exact words (or the editing’s terrible) and compelling but I already returned it to the digital library and am going to finish the dystopian YA series I’ve been reading - The Jewel Series by Amy Ewing. Tonight is book #3 The Black Key.

I’ve got to get the dark images from Finding Me out of my head before I sleep which means a long night ahead yet.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(4146 posts)
D Day Through German Eyes, a series of interviews of solders that were on the receiving end of the D Day invasion. A fascinating perspective. I know, not the sexiest literature on the shelf. :)

Woodville TX
Username hidden
(716 posts)
Just finished 'White Lilies' (Samantha Christy) about pregnancy surrogacy. It's fiction and totally shredded my heart. Not totally solid writing throughout, but the story felt plausible.

Also still reading 'Rewind' (Terry England)- also fiction, about a group of 17 adults that are abducted by aliens but returned as children, all around the age of 8-9. I'm only about 20% in but how our govt "handles" the situation reads as comically accurate.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(4146 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 93  Next »
1 to 10 of 926
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.