Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › Whatcha reading
TOPIC: Whatcha_reading
Created by: Fun_Ahoy
Original Starting post for this thread:
Threads for critters, gardening, dinner, movies, etc. Does anyone read any more? What are you reading, do you recommend it, and why or why not?

My most recent read is Natasha Trethewey's "Beyond Katrina," a collection of poems and prose about the Mississippi gulf coast. I fell in love with her the first time I met her and heard her read, several years ago. In this work she confronts racism, urban development, and the way in which natural disasters reveal seams in our society. But she does so through observations about individual persons and their experiences. A very good read.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 80  Next »
1 to 10 of 797
User Details are only visible to members.
Finally finished Outlander series book 4....took what seemed like forever.

Starting book 5 soon. And when I'm in Bowling Green for two days I'm sure I will get a lot of reading done.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(21526 posts)
"They are all my Family" by John Riordan, who happens to live not so far from me. It's his memoir about the last days of U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, and how he managed to get all of the Vietnamese employees from his bank, along with their families, evacuated in time to save their lives. Good reading.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(11840 posts)
the last time i saw her ~ murder mystery; looks to be as good a read as the other books in this series were.

bringing it to the gym.

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(14126 posts)
Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. The guy just cracks me up.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1241 posts)
still working on the Outlander series. Book 4. I haven't had much time to read lately, and the few times I did, didn't have the book with me or I'd be almost done by now and on to book 5.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(21526 posts)
Sextrology - The Astrology of Sex and the Sexes

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4114 posts)
Leadership and Self-Deception ~ The Arbinger Institute

Interesting the tricks our minds play on us.

Clemmons NC
Username hidden
(4114 posts)
"The Fight to Vote" by Michael Waldman. Fascinating history of the evolution of the electoral process and voting rights in the United States going back to the Constitutional Convention. This big picture history makes the current wave of disenfranchisement attempts seem simultaneously more outrageous and more transient.

Not at all as depressing or preachy as the title might suggest

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(1241 posts)
Drums of Autumn which is book 4 in the Outlander series. Another 1000 page book. oye.

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(21526 posts)
Doing a marathon of Jonathan Mayberry's Joe Ledger novels, just finished The King Of Plagues earlier this evening. Some folks I respect raved about this series, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it. His heroes are okay, but I'm rather disappointed in his villains. Thrillers need good villains to be memorable.

I'll probably start re-reading John Ringo's Troy Rising SF series next. Still doesn't have great villains, but he's a LOT funnier. I mean, the first book in the series revolves around an interstellar Maple Syrup War. Goofy as hell.

Yeah, I'm not reading anything serious at the moment. There's something to be said for brain candy.

Waxahachie TX
Username hidden
(625 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 80  Next »
1 to 10 of 797
TOPIC: Whatcha reading
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.