Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › What the hell are you doing up so early
TOPIC: What_the_hell_are_you_doing_up_so_early
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 215  Next »
21 to 30 of 2145
User Details are only visible to members.
VA,

Maybe it's politics to you. It's not to me. I'm sure there were a whole lot more people up last night thinking about climate change. I had that sleepless night seven months ago.

I don't really know why this disturbed and depressed me so much. It wasn't the obvious and overwhelming political side, more the dark vision of the inevitable outcome of our divisions. It brought to mind two stories, one personal:

The first was a young Israeli woman's story of dealing with violence around her by compartmentalizing it. First the bombings happened in the wrong part of town. Then someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then a sort of an ok place but definitely the wrong time. Then it was the wrong side of the street. Then one day her regular coffee shop was bombed. HER coffee shop. She totally lost it.

For me it was an incident that Sting later wrote the song "Fragile" about. There was a mechanical engineering student named Ben Linder at the University of Washington while I was studying engineering there in the early eighties. He went to Nicaragua on a grant from a bunch of local Quakers to build small hydro plants in poor areas. He was taken for a Sandinista and killed by Contra rebels. The thing is this guy could not have been more apolitical. He was supposedly brilliant, but everyone knew him for riding his unicycle around campus. A real campus fixture and sort of a hippie clown in the entertaining sense. The last time I remember seeing him, he was doing tricks with several books balanced on his head next to Drumheller fountain. It was a beautiful sunny spring day. The cherries were blooming, the coeds were shedding their winter coats. I was young and the sap was rising in more ways than one. People were laughing and hooting. A perfect day. When I heard how he was murdered, the sheer senselessness of it was devastating. The last lines of Sting's song really hit it dead on:

"Perhaps this final act was meant, to clinch a lifetime's argument. That nothing comes from violence, and nothing ever could. For all us born beneath an angry star. Lest we forget how fragile we are."

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2054 posts)
Someone go create a "Political What_the_hell_are_you_doing_up_so_early" thread. Scamp missed that one.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28570 posts)
Got to bed at 3:30, then up at 5:45 to get on a plane.

I think I shall try to nap on this flight....

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28570 posts)
Morning Current, this is some of the best therapy at times. Those gentlemen are heroes in my book too.

OT - answering sunny morning messages. ;)

Oak Ridge NC
Username hidden
(4782 posts)
Been up since two thinking about those guys on that bus in Portland last week. It's obviously been on my mind and I keep pushing it down till my brain wakes me up and says we have unfinished business.

These two men put themselves squarely into the front line of America's simmering political civil war, and did what many of us hope we would do, should we find ourselves at that crossroads. To have the guts to stand up for the weak as we've been brought up to believe that's what we're here to do. And for that their lives are snuffed out by a lunatic, who was given the space to crawl out from whatever rock he was born under by the so called political leaders who have somehow legitimized his hateful world view as acceptable terrain for political debate. And worse yet, the story passes from the national consciousness, to the extent that it was ever there, as quickly as the ripples left in calm water by a rock sinking below the surface.

How the hell did we get to this place? It's 5:15 now and I doubt I can answer that question before I have to start the day. Thanks for the therapy.

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2054 posts)
Up at 0330 & 0530 to take a constipated fur boy out.

His younger brother also then needed to go out so I've had my early morning constitutional x's 3 in the very wet dewy grass that included stepping in a hole, losing my shoe and soaking my foot.

Yet who can be upset at a boy w tummy troubles, especially when he lays his face next to you w one big brown eye and a totally innocent blue one? I'm not made of stone.

Annie

Lafayette TN
Username hidden
(3244 posts)
MAYBE LOL

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11503 posts)
she was really up to ride the dukes morning woody lol

Rockport MA
Username hidden
(14164 posts)
I was hoping to see the sunrise ,but not today ,all fogged in this morning ,OH well maybe tomorrow .

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11503 posts)
Going to WORK ,you know that bad 4 letter word.

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11503 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 215  Next »
21 to 30 of 2145
TOPIC: What the hell are you doing up so early
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.