Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › What the hell are you doing up so early
TOPIC: What_the_hell_are_you_doing_up_so_early
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 216  Next »
21 to 30 of 2153
User Details are only visible to members.
My kid is super busy with the hospital over the summer and coming here in September. I may go out there between now and then for a week anyway. I will give you heads up if I do. It's beautiful as you described out there right now. I've been out there the last two years right around now moving my kid into two different apartments. Two to three weeks each time. I love the summer there.

Great food, times and sights!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8702 posts)
BLM,

True dat. Though I'm an East Sider now, I don't think there is a more pleasant place on Earth than Western WA in July. The hot weather out East creates low pressure inland and "onshore flow" from the Northeast Pacific high . The last weekend started out with overcast mornings and bluebird afternoons. Temps in the seventies. Probably 40% humidity. The mountains and the sound are sparkling. Classic summer weather. Almost makes up for seven months gloomy drizzle.

Great place to visit anyway. When you coming out this way?

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2248 posts)
"Maybe it's important to bear witness to the passing acts of violence. "

I think so too! I would like to use violence as an alternative to dealing with shit..but I do wanna go to Heaven. Have a great day out there yourself. NOTHING LIKE Washington State in the summer!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8702 posts)
Current why do you wank up early to only think of politics? when i wake up early i am going fishing or diving

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(7278 posts)
Thanks BLM.

I think these type of testimonial stories can connect people in important ways by grounding the news in personal ways. The Israeli woman's story really resonated with me. It reminded me of a town, an outwardly quiet and safe town, that I used to live in. As it grew and became less safe, friends would compartmentalize the telltale incidents. Well, that guy was assaulted because he was down by the mission late at night. Well she was probably a bar fly because she was assaulted at two o'clock in the morning on the street with the rough bars and too drunk to identify her attacker. Well she really should have locked her car if she was going to park it there. Then one day a friend said "Look, it's not like we have drive by shootings or anything" About a month later, our first drive by. "Oh but that wasn't a real drive by..." someone else said.

Maybe it's important to bear witness to the passing acts of violence. So that we don't drift somewhere more dangerous. Or drag anchor so to speak.

I hope your holiday is great BTW

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2248 posts)
Interesting read current and thanks for sharing!

"For me it was an incident that Sting later wrote the song "Fragile" about."

I did not know that about this song. It's great song and has more meaning for me now. Makes one think for sure!

Rutherford NJ
Username hidden
(8702 posts)
Up to meet the sun ,too nice of a day to spend in bed .

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(11983 posts)
I'm at work 6:30 pm to 6:30 am

Maplewood MN
Username hidden
(61 posts)
VA,

Maybe it's politics to you. It's not to me. I'm sure there were a whole lot more people up last night thinking about climate change. I had that sleepless night seven months ago.

I don't really know why this disturbed and depressed me so much. It wasn't the obvious and overwhelming political side, more the dark vision of the inevitable outcome of our divisions. It brought to mind two stories, one personal:

The first was a young Israeli woman's story of dealing with violence around her by compartmentalizing it. First the bombings happened in the wrong part of town. Then someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then a sort of an ok place but definitely the wrong time. Then it was the wrong side of the street. Then one day her regular coffee shop was bombed. HER coffee shop. She totally lost it.

For me it was an incident that Sting later wrote the song "Fragile" about. There was a mechanical engineering student named Ben Linder at the University of Washington while I was studying engineering there in the early eighties. He went to Nicaragua on a grant from a bunch of local Quakers to build small hydro plants in poor areas. He was taken for a Sandinista and killed by Contra rebels. The thing is this guy could not have been more apolitical. He was supposedly brilliant, but everyone knew him for riding his unicycle around campus. A real campus fixture and sort of a hippie clown in the entertaining sense. The last time I remember seeing him, he was doing tricks with several books balanced on his head next to Drumheller fountain. It was a beautiful sunny spring day. The cherries were blooming, the coeds were shedding their winter coats. I was young and the sap was rising in more ways than one. People were laughing and hooting. A perfect day. When I heard how he was murdered, the sheer senselessness of it was devastating. The last lines of Sting's song really hit it dead on:

"Perhaps this final act was meant, to clinch a lifetime's argument. That nothing comes from violence, and nothing ever could. For all us born beneath an angry star. Lest we forget how fragile we are."

Wenatchee WA
Username hidden
(2248 posts)
Someone go create a "Political What_the_hell_are_you_doing_up_so_early" thread. Scamp missed that one.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28792 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 216  Next »
21 to 30 of 2153
TOPIC: What the hell are you doing up so early
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.