Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › What's for Dinner
TOPIC: What's_for_Dinner
« Prev  1 ...  1052  1053  1054  1055  1056  1057  1058  1059  1060  1061  ... 1504  Next »
10561 to 10570 of 15040
User Details are only visible to members.
LW I am one of those odd people who is not a fan of steaks. I much prefer slow roasted and stewed meats to steaks. Grass fed beef is much better for this due to the stronger flavor that shines cooked that way. It is still not the same as game because there is not the same amount of exercise and hormones from survival that game meat has. The commercial meat industry go through measures to slaughter to avoid the release of hormones into the meats that most consumers are not accustomed to. Some Asian countries try to induce stress prior to processing to make the flavor stronger. I was told that it was the reason for hanging chows, which is extremely cruel.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
For that matter, if you ever buy grass fed, domestic beef, such as angus or beefmaster, yo uneed to add oil. Including rubbing the steaks down with quality oil or butter.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12566 posts)
Ohh as for the question "what does deer taste like?"

Why chicken of course you should know everything tastes like chicken---JK

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
Deer like any other animal wild or tame the taste depends on many many factors. Deer from different parts of the country can have a completely different taste. Farm raised deer should not taste gamy.

They are for the most part raised on grain and grasses the same as cattle. Wild deer eat what is available, in the midwest this means corn and soybeans. In other parts of the country it is grasses and whatever fruits and leaves they can reach. One of their favorite foods is flowers one deer can destroy a flower bed.

Because of their lean meat they are best as roasts and stews, but backstraps are to die for roasted over a grill. The flavor in sausage is exceptional though fats from beef have to be added. Hunters usually know the best ways to cook deer because they regularly eat game meats and know how to cook them and are accustomed to and love the taste. Store bought meat is just frigging bland, same for most restaurant meat.

Brining game meat will remove the game flavor for those who are not used to it. Replacing it with the flavor of the brine. Brine includes salt, sugar, spices, and whatever else the chef wants to add to sculpt the flavor. Most of my youth was spent consuming game meats brined in a tomato brine, then the meat would be roasted and then pulled and cooked the remainder in a heavy sauce. We also used wild garlic and onions in the brine and cooking. Sides were often wild also such as poke salad, dandelion greens, and roasted crab apples. Ya just will not find that kind of food in a restaurant.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19580 posts)
To my knowledge there is only one seller in the US of White Tail. It's Grande Premium in Colorado. They currently attempt in the website by disclaimer to sell putting the onus on the purchaser. For commercial use I wouldn't dream of buying wholesale. But I have bought for personal use. The rest is Axis, Red or Fallow. There are numerous farms. I've had venison in any number of gourmet restaurants. Particularly as it's much more common as a European food than American. Where the general population, even if they fancy themselves a gourmand, tend to think it's only country fare. Therefore, they often don't want to pay the significantly higher price for it. The trick to veison, which BTW could mean deer, elk or antelope, is cooking for the lack of fat. Overcooking is death to it.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12566 posts)
In almost every state, it is illegal to sell whitetail deer meat. If a restaurant is selling "venison", chances are it is farm raised fallow deer or red deer.

Pequea PA
Username hidden
(1123 posts)
"Sac, what kind of pie did you wind up getting last night?"

Most times it's a half-n-half combination/(something else) cause I dig the combo and the wife does not. That night it was a combination/Hawaiian thick crust.

Littleton CO
Username hidden
(3975 posts)
BLT I would be glad to give you some deer meat. If you do ever come this way,Just let us know.

Bullard TX
Username hidden
(5873 posts)
Justus: I am a huge fan of venison and bison, which is my favorite and I can get it here. The problem is most hunters here aren't willing to part with the venison even for a price. Consequently, I ordered some venision medallions from Allen Brothers at a King's Ransom. If I ever get to LA, I am going to look you up for a meal if you don't mind.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(7424 posts)
Deer Chili with Fritos and cheese MMMMMMMM.

Bullard TX
Username hidden
(5873 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  1052  1053  1054  1055  1056  1057  1058  1059  1060  1061  ... 1504  Next »
10561 to 10570 of 15040
TOPIC: What's for Dinner
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.