Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Open Forum › What's for Dinner
TOPIC: What's_for_Dinner
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 1455  Next »
11 to 20 of 14548
User Details are only visible to members.
arugula apples candied pecan salad with just a smidge of raspberry vinaigrette

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11033 posts)
Spinach and tofu ricotta ravioli, tossed in seasoned bread crumbs and sauteed in olive oil with mushrooms.

Dining alone tonight as my Scamp is still out of town.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3756 posts)
Tomatoes picked off the vine. Still warm. With basil and OO. I have basically given up cheese, but I will be buying some locally made mozzarella by the time the summer is over. We have a dood who keeps happy cows in his pasture, and I am going for the big splurge.

Ocean City NJ
Username hidden
(5949 posts)
Tomatoes picked off the vine. Still warm. With basil and OO. I have basically given up cheese, but I will be buying some locally made mozzarella by the time the summer is over. We have a dood who keeps happy cows in his pasture, and I am going for the big splurge.

Ocean City NJ
Username hidden
(5949 posts)
Thanks VA- interesting method. I'll have to give it a try some time. It may be a while though as I don't often cook with tofu.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3756 posts)
OK, Rabbit - here is the "Better Fried Tofu" tip from Cooks Illustrated. Like I said, I haven't tried it, but in general, they are quite reliable.

When preparing tofu for frying, we've always blotted it dry and tossed it in cornstarch, which absorbs exuded moisture and ensures a crispy exterior and better browning. Recently we came across another method: Soaking the tofu in a hot-water brine and then letting it drain for 15 minutes before frying. In the end, we got the best results by marrying old with new. We found that using a brine that was four times stronger than what we'd seen published delivered the best seasoning and crust, and tossing the hot-brined tofu in cornstarch after the draining improved the crust even more. Why does the brine work? Both the heat and the salinity of the water draw moisture out of the surface of the tofu, helping it crisp and brown. The hot water also gradually tightens the proteins at the surface of the tofu, helping keep any remaining moisture inside. Here's how to do it:

1. Soak: Dissolve 1/4 cup salt in 4 cups boiling water. Slice 14 oz firm tofu crosswise into 1-inch thick planks and soak in brine for 15 minutes.

2. Drain: Transfer planks to quadruple layer of paper towels and top with another 4-ply layer. Press gently, then let sit for 15 minutes.

3. Toss: Cut tofu planks into cubes (or whatever) and toss with cornstarch to lightly coat. Shallow-fry cubes in hot oil for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.

----

One thing that is unclear to me is the timing and temperature between the boiling brine and step 1. Are we to just shut the heat off and drop the tofu in right away? 14 oz of cold fridge tofu will cool down 4 cups of boiling water quite fast - to around 60°C or so - so maybe this isn't like "cooking" it.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25012 posts)
Mushroom ,cheese omelet .with 2 grilled tomatos

Ronkonkoma NY
Username hidden
(6979 posts)
Wife called, wants waffles and sausage at 10:30 pm when she gets home from work. Yummy, not that late.

Lyons NY
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Cornbread stuffed porq cutlets with roasted root veggies and butternut squash ravioli is a buttery pea sauce for me and my kids.

Wish Scamp was here to enjoy it with us.

~rabbit~

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(3756 posts)
chocolate smoothie for me

healthy yummy leftovers for kiddo

Bridgewater NJ
Username hidden
(11033 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 1455  Next »
11 to 20 of 14548
TOPIC: What's for Dinner
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.