Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Open Forum Waterproofing basements
TOPIC: Waterproofing basements
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   21 to 27 of 27 
User Details are only visible to members.
I know it's not a scam :). Thus my lack of response to that!

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17257 posts)
I have nothing to add in the water proofing dept.

As far as the radon thing, which you did not ask for opinions on, according to my father's lung cancer Dr., who is part of a team consisting of a renowned researcher on smoke and radon, it is very real and you should be very concerned. I used to think it was a huge scam. He corrected my view.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(2259 posts)
Thank you guys, I will have my hubby look into this thread when he gets home.

Yes indeed, my hubby will post for a change (Maybe).

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17257 posts)
M- whatever solution you choose, make sure the contractor lists what they are going to be doing, and what type of damage they will incur. also make sure that they are going to repair any cut pipes, and wires during thier work. Above all check their references.

We had to repair the damage caused by a company last year. The company had the homeowner sign what was a basic blank contract, with the simple disclosure that they were going to incur damage to some areas of the basement, and that the homeowner was responsible for repairs... The company just cut whatever the felt they needed, ( to a degree is normal) but they also took a few shortcuts , like tearing out a bathroom to gain easier access to Vs going through a laundry area, that had low headroom. the short cut cost the homeowner a new bathroom, as well as having to have the whole family room rewired.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9724 posts)
HFT- Radon is a Very serious thing, especially in certain areas or NY/NJ. it is a gas that causes Lung cancer among other things.

It is possible to waterproof a basement, the most foolproof way it to dig up the exterior exposing the foundation, then installing a membrane on the foundation ( on top of a tar based sealant), then installing a double layer 4" perforated pipe, then cover with #2 stone and landscape fabric, then backfilled with clean fill. the key is the waetherproofing membrane. The other way to waterproof is as I described in the first post a bit costly but a good solution

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9724 posts)
what are each of them offering to do, some systems I have seen entail jackhammering a trench all around the permiter of the floor, then digging down to the footing, then installing a 4" preforated pipe the covering the pipe with #2 stone the finally pouring 4" of cement over the cut out cement .

the pipe is usually pitched to a collection point where sump pumps can remove the water away from the home.

Another system I have seen but am not fond of is where a company will cut a groove in the floor, then add a curb of cement that will direct the water to collections points, the problem with this system is if the water is not removed fast enough ( during heavy rains) it can still flood.

There are a few other systems such as a secondary wall that can be installed as well , which range from dryloc paint, to installing a plastic track wall system that kind of hides the problem .

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9724 posts)
Need advise. We have no mugginess in the basement, but do have water issues. They began after we installed the radon system (they found radon in the basement and installed a system to divert the gas out of the basement, they needed to block the french drain for that). So we're looking to waterproof the basement. We've had 6 different companies giving us estimates. All came within $3K difference from each other. Our problem is that they're not all using the system to waterproof the basement.

We need advise, help!!!!

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17257 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   21 to 27 of 27 
TOPIC: Waterproofing basements