Waterproofing basements : Swingers Discussion 2165021011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsOpen ForumWaterproofing basements
TOPIC: Waterproofing basements
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 27   End
User Details are only visible to members.
All of his shit is in the garage too, and the basement ;). And his closets. And his bathroom. And two of his sheds!

Yes, our carbon footprint is that big, despite that, I refer to myself as a tree hugging fiscal conservative :)

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16410 posts)
I'm just glad I'm on a slab.

FB: All of my shit's in the garage!

Washington DC
Username hidden
(19400 posts)
When I was younger and working for my Fathers company we built a home outside of Milford ,Pa. That ended up being built upon a series of natural springs, To the point when the excavator went home after the second day of digging , only to return to a hole filled with water, @ 2' from the top of the hole.

The solution the engineer came upon was to keep digging with 2 trash pumps running constantly, until the footings, floor and foundations were poured, ( they had a rubber membrane installed under the floor and up the walls ) We also had to install sump pumps in 6 locations under the floor. To my knowledge the home has not had any issues.

Although when we were finishing the home we were no allowed to shoot anything into the floor or walls nor were we allowed to drill in any of those locations.... I was shocked when they hit the water, but the homeowner was hell bent on using the location.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9683 posts)
As a heavy equipment operator (we also laid pavements which included drains of all kinds) for the military. I must concor with looking. His options, namely the one with the membrane is very effective.

The best method is and always will be preventing the water from entering the home. (outside the home)

This might be why they closed off the drains to start with. As radon would seep in from underground through the drains and other.

As for heavy's old man solution of venting with the outside... Placing a fan into a window (an air duct system fan) might be a temporary fix if the weather allows and no EPA regulations preclude you from doing this.

Sadly in my parents basement, we have a natual spring which runs between our and our neighbors home. We placed a dehumidifier in our basement and a hose leading to a ground drain at the rear of the house where the back door is.

The back door bleeds air and sucks the warmer air out of the house... But we also never have had our house tested... Probably should.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7422 posts)
either will do the job, although the system that goes under the footing will collect water sooner when it get's heavy rain, Although the second system will more than likely have pumps to handle the volume anyway. It is basically up to what you feel will fit your future use.

Just don't go with Billy-bob's do it-all services to do this, ( unless you have seen some of thier work, and references) Believe it or not systems like BeeDry have years of expereince in this and will also tailor to your area, based upon thier experience in the area.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9683 posts)
Whew...that tells you how much I know about french drains or any drains.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16410 posts)
Hi this is B, Thanks for the suggestions, we don't have a french drain but are considering having one installed. The 2 systems that we are looking at are the traditional dig perimeter under footing, install 4" drain pipe and sub pumps, the other is the alternative proprietary method where they install a "box" pipe on top of the footing rather then under footing to collect the water from the walls. The box system drains the same way to the sub pumps but isn't designed to collect water from under floor, only from the walls. Both systems cost the same to install, just a mater of which method to go with.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16410 posts)
"Water can't not be stopped.."

Double negative makes a positive doesn't it? OK, I agree, water can be stopped most of the time if done correctly.

I'm confused if the bids you have are for positive or negative side systems...

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
youtube dot com/watch?v=-S8vr27plZ

Don't worry about any nasty cough that develops , it is just Lung fever.

yeah go ahead open up them windows when the test is going on.... that sounds really intelligent.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9683 posts)
Radon - is one nasty bitch....

check out www dot epa dot gov/radon/

second in cause of lung cancer right after the good ole cigarette......

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9683 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 27   End
TOPIC: Waterproofing basements