W T F : Swingers Discussion 20834710941
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsW T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1323   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Meanwhile... on the other side of the Atlantic... (from a Washington Post article)

French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system. And the reason he wants to ban homework?

He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

His homework position is not original; some school districts in the United States did the same thing going back more than a century. Early in the 1900s, the influential Ladies’ Home Journal magazine called homework “barbarous,” and school districts such as Los Angeles abolished it in kindergarten through eighth grade. ---------- Great way to level the playing field. Some kids have help from their parents, some kids don't. The solution? Nobody gets help from their parents.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
"That's the only reason I favor home schooling from a state run leson plan. Then, it wouldn't matter where you lived or how much money a family has. All the kids would get the same lesson plans."

While the days of brick & mortar schools are numbered, the interim should and could provide a country wide curriculum.

So that Johnny in grade 1 in Alabama and Jane in Wyoming are both on page 1 of level 1 reading, and math and writing on September 1.

With everyone on the same page resources and support can be directed to the specific individual when and if it is needed.

Many advantages to this type of format. to name a few ..there are many many more.

It would save Billions of dollars in federal and state funding.

It would decrease the need for dollar hungry school district management.(along with fiefdoms and most of the petty politics )

When Johnny's dad get transferred North Dakota in order to keep his job, Johnny picks up right where he left off.

Socialization is as important if not more important that the academics for young people to function in society. It is for that reason I'm opposed to home schooling alone. As a supplement fine but as the main program probably not prudent.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
"Some say it is unfair to hold disadvantaged children to rigorous standards. I say it is discrimination to require anything less – the soft bigotry of low expectations. Some say that schools can’t be expected to teach, because there are too many broken families, too many immigrants, too much diversity. I say that pigment and poverty need not determine performance."

Exactly! Coming from a poor home should not make any difference. They have poor families in Japan, Switzerland, Germany and several other industrialized countries and their children are doing far better in academics than kids here in the US.

That's the only reason I favor home schooling from a state run leson plan. Then, it wouldn't matter where you lived or how much money a family has. All the kids would get the same lesson plans.

As long as they have access to a pc....

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(2640 posts)
""Let's get the liberals out of the education business."

Well, will wonders never cease. That's the only anti liberal stance I can agree with. The goal should be ALL children reaching 100% proficiency... "

Not going to happen...ever!

What does work and should be re implemented is "tracking".

In simplest form, kids that perform well academically are kept on an academic track. Kids that don't are shifted to vocational track. That way everyone comes out of HS with the tools they need to move to the phase of their life. You can always switch between tracks as you skills and abilities mature. (provides for the late bloomer or the early burnouts). It worked in the past and it will work now. What's being done, the way it's being done now, does not work very well.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
Forgot make this point... "... unless they go with old racial equation of the "lowest common denominator" - i.e. white + black = black.:

According to an Af-Am colleague of mine this equations hold true from his perspective. He is fond of saying..." A drop of piss in a glass of champagne is a glass of piss."

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
"Let's get the liberals out of the education business."

Well, will wonders never cease. That's the only anti liberal stance I can agree with. The goal should be ALL children reaching 100% proficiency...

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(2640 posts)
... unless they go with old racial equation of the "lowest common denominator" - i.e. white + black = black. This would allow them to categorize any mixed race child into the category which has the lowest expectations, thereby helping them achieve their "goals"."

Here parents can change the race of their child at will (if mixed race).

Why do they?

Often to qualify for this or that special program. For example, for decades it has been against the law for schools to IQ test Af-Am students. (see Larry P decision for the F'd up decision). But often a black kids parents used ethnicity to qualify for "early education programs" . Then when in high school their parent can register them as white for IQ testing and easier course work under "special education" (not the only way to qualify but now employed frequently) designation and as well as easier proficiency testing and graduation criteria. BTW kids of white parents are claiming their kid has AD /HD with no prior record of educational difficulties (A's, B's, C's) but to get extra time on the SAT's they "buy" the diagnosis.

Educational delivery system in this country is so subverted with financial and political agendas, it's little wonder that the average HS grad only reads at 6th grade level. The driver's handbook in Calif. is written at 6th grade level as are most newspaper articles. (like kids read the paper anymore) While I'm at it, I'd be interested in whether or not Civic & American Government ( mandatory classes not too long ago) are being taught anywhere in the other 49 states. (not here). Keeping these last few generations pretty ignorant of their rights and freedoms.

Our collective braintrust was this country's advantage over the global competition. That is fading fast. I'm glad I'm an old fart and won't have to feel the pain of this degradation for more that another couple of decades.

None the less sad, very sad to watch happen.

Sacramento CA

Username hidden
(718 posts)
tbr

One version of the story....

ww.miamiherald.c om/2012/10/13/3049005/criticism-follows-floridas-race.html

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
Are half-black half-Asians expected to be 90%, 74%, or 82% proficient? ================================

Like good racists I suspect they use the lowest common denominator.

Let's get the liberals out of the education business.

Whitehouse Station NJ

Username hidden
(4489 posts)
I going to have to look that up.

NCLB has been a cluster fuck since it's inception.

Although it has provided a nice chunk of change in my pocket...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17262 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1323   End
TOPIC: W T F