W T F : Swingers Discussion 20834710901
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsW T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... More 
Start   901 to 910 of 1543   End
User Details are only visible to members.
The times I have ordered take out from a restaurant, it is the hostess rnning to the kitchen, not a waitress so I don't think I have shorted anyone who relies on tips of an income.

I agree with the others who asked if you tip at McDonalds or the gorcery store. As far as I know, only wait staff get less than minimum wage and is expected to make up the difference in tips. I generally tip 20% + but not for take out. Yes I tip at the bar because I want to get a second drink!

Poland OH
Username hidden
(11885 posts)
While I can understand how you guys feel about the typical "counter service", personally I don't think it applies if you are getting food from an establishment where people depend on tips as part of their salary. I wouldn't presume to show up at a bar, get a beer, and not tip the bartender. If the bartender is bringing me my food, I tip him or her as if they brought me a beer. Call it "bar etiquette"...

I look at it this way...Someone had to stop what they were doing that was making them "tip money" to take my order. Someone had to stop what they were doing that was making them "tip money" to bring me my food. And someone had to stop what they were doing that was making them "tip money" to cash me out efficiently so I could enjoy my meal while it's still warm. I'm not saying I would drop 20% for service like that, but it won't kill me to leave the poor shlub a dollar or two for their trouble.

Pandora doesn't get upset at the guys that roll in and only ordered a sandwich and fries. The tip out on that is gonna be negligible anyway. BUT you stroll in with an order for 3 or more, that she has to prep in the back with all the appropriate condiments, utensils and whatnot, and the bill is over $80...That's gonna eat into her take home pay. Not to mention make her miss out on another table she could have taken instead that would have tipped her something. I see it happen all the time and it doesn't matter to the kitchen if she made any money on that bill or not. She's got to pay it out to them at the end of the night.

We're both service oriented people. We tip just about everyone that's got a tip jar on the counter, even if it's just a dollar. Sometimes a small token of appreciation is all it takes to make someones day.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
"I have never in my life heard of tipping a gas station attendant, but there's a first time for everything. "

My first real job in high school was as a gas station attendant. Small gas station with 4 pumps. 2 were called Mini Serve. I pumped your gas and that was it. The other 2 pumps were Full Serve. The owner charged an additional 5 or 10 cents per gallon on those pumps and I would clean your windshield and offer to check your fluid levels and tire pressure.

I never saw a single cent of the price mark up in my paycheck. Luckily, nearly all of the patrons who used the full service side were kind enough to hand me a buck or 2.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
That's freakin' crazy Lucky. 15% on "here's your food"?

If 20% is good for having someone dote after you for 45 minutes, I cannot see how one could justify 15% for taking your order and then handing it to you.

Why shouldn't I tip the cashier at Best Buy? I don't resist tipping for certain things but it's getting to a point where my pockets are just leaking money all the time for everyone I just buy something from.

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(19104 posts)
Having worked as a waiter before, I've never heard of tip sharing with the cooks. Waiters/Waitresses do share with the bus boys, but not the cooks. Cooks are paid better than the wait staff. Is this some new industry standard or something?

I tip on the service and attentiveness of the waiter/waitress. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't care if it takes 2 hours for my food to come out or if it's the worst meal I've ever had.....if the server is making regular rounds, has a pleasant disposition and is keeping my drink full then they are doing a good job and will be tipped appropriately. 15% is industry norm, I typically start at 20% and then work my way up or down according to the level of service.

I also try not to add the tip to the bill when paying with a credit card. Cash only and I give it to the person directly rather than leaving it on the table.

Tipping for take out is ridiculous. I don't tip the person working the drive thru at Burger King so why would I tip a take out order?

And for the love of Pete, be generous when tipping your pizza delivery guy. More often than not, they're driving their own vehicles and if they're lucky, they get a small stipend for gas. If they work for a chain, perhaps they get dollar for dollar reimbursement on fuel. But that still doesn't come close to covering oil changes, tire replacement and overall wear and tear on the vehicle. Not to mention that I imagine that the inside of their car is permanently tainted with the smell of pizza and wings (not that that would be a bad thing, but who wants to smell their job when going on a date?) I don't tip percentages with delivery drivers, I factor in a lot of things like the weather (cold, rain and snow gets them extra $$), the distance they had to drive to get to my house and the number of items they had to carry to my front door. When I lived in KC about 10 years ago, a local joint was delivering in the middle of a severe winter storm. Rain, ice, high winds, single digit temps...most businesses were closed. My total was only about $12. Gave him a 20 and told him to keep the change.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
"Tipping is to reward service" - that is my philosophy too Nic but what was once considered a reward for excellent service is now not only expected but is built in to their wage system. I could launch in to an entire diatribe about how we've allowed our society to become one of expect instead of earn but that's more suited for the Politics forum. Grrrr

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(4449 posts)
I have never in my life heard of tipping a gas station attendant, but there's a first time for everything.

I just make sure I have enough gas to get through New Jersey. Getting gas at a rest stop there is SUCH an ordeal I refuse to do it.

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(19104 posts)
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while...Are you supposed to tip the guy in New Jersey who puts gas in your car? Personally, I hate that I can't fill up my own tank for whatever reason, but I always feel weird NOT giving the guy a $1.

Can someone tell me if its customary or not?

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Most waiter staff must share tips with cooks, expediters, bus staff and dish washers. So not tipping on a take out order shows disrespect for the entire staff. Now if the order is wrong and not cooked properly then no tip is acceptable. This is why I check the order before I leave and leave a 15% tip.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
I'll tip for most of those things, but not counter service. If so, why not tip at the gas station? The grocery store? The bank? The 7-Eleven? The bus driver? The sporting goods store?

Why is a Starbucks barista any more appropriate to tip than the cashier at the grocery store? Why not tip at McDonalds?

I'm not budging on counter service. Sorry.

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(19104 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... More 
Start   901 to 910 of 1543   End
TOPIC: W T F